Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidScott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
I'm seriously considering purchasing a new iBook. Is there any word out there about a rev. 2 of the new iBook? Is it expected at Paris? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

David S.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I wouldn't bet on it

I could see a rev-2 of the PowerBook G4 but I don't see one for the iBook just yet. It's still very new. I don't know... maybe some one else knows something that I don't. I know one thing. The iBook is a very nice computer. Good buy too. If you compair what you get with the Current TiBook to the iBook and look at the pricing. The iBook is very resonable. I have a friend that has one... She loves it. Takes it every were with her.

andyUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2001
London
ibook update?

What about the price. Does anyone think they might shave a little off in September?

And the RAM. Surely they have to up the ram of at least the bottom model (CD only has 64MB) so it can cope with OSX?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: ibook update?

Originally posted by andyUK
What about the price. Does anyone think they might shave a little off in September?

And the RAM. Surely they have to up the ram of at least the bottom model (CD only has 64MB) so it can cope with OSX?

Apple doesnt seem to like to give much RAM with their hardware. My 867 only cam with 128. Even if they were offering more, I would have BTO with the min that I could. Apple RAM is too pricy. Just get some nice name brand 3rd party RAM. I got 512MB siticks for about $90.00 a pop. And they came with a life time warrente. I have seen cheeper... like $40.00 a stick.. But its the cheep stuff. RAM for the iBook is going to be a little bit more... but its worth it. RAM is so cheep right now too.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i agree, screw buying ram directly from apple, it's way overpriced. 3rd party works just fine-and who needs to pay a $30 installation fee too(most apple resellers charge). it's so damn easy to install ram.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
price

you won't see a price drop in the ibook...it's already at a good price, selling at a high volume. To lower the price would only encourage potential PowerBook buyers to buy the iBook instead...which is basically what happened after the iBooks were introduced.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
a sad day

It is a sad day for the free world. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! I am disgusted.

thecube84

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
Mac OS X on imac 400

I know it's possible but has anyone done it?? I am thinking of buying a 512mb stick, and i understand that that will make OS X a lot faster. I need some REAL ANSWERS.

andyUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2001
London
RAM in UK

Can anyone recommend a good source of RAM in the UK for the ibook? I'm quite new to this MAC malarky - used a PC for years until they gave me an imac at work. Since then have been drooling over various mac sites.

Is there any difference between the different manufacturers in terms of reliabilty, speed, compatibility etc?

And how much do you reckon you need to put into the ibook?

Any comments much appreciated.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Yeah....MikroAnvika. Thats the only computer retail store in the UK for mac.

TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT PLEASE. As in...the current events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.