Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2006
California
Hey, I have been helping my dad make a iWeb site for his school class and we are having some problems with apostrophes and spaces turning into multiple question marks. Also some browsers like netscape and explorer don't show the menu where you click on the different pages.

here is this test version of the site.

http://www.bobingersoll.org

We just got iLife '08 so we are going to re do it with a new template but wanted to know if there is a different way we should do it so it doesn't turn out like that.

We tried changing the font to Arial but it still had question marks.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
This is from Safari 3, somethings wrong with the site.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 89

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't think the weird characters issue is a problem with iWeb. I think it's a configuration issue with your web server. Your webserver is ignoring the character encoding specification that's placed in the page files iWeb is making.

See this:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/iwebchars.html

The .htaccess fix worked for me with my server (since I don't run it and can't make changes to its configuration).

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2006
California
Ok thanks.

I will try doing the thing in CyberDuck.

Any ideas on the menu bar not showing in explorer or netscape

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
As only 0.4% of Internet Users use a version of Internet Explorer prior to Internet Explorer 6 there is no point in worrying if they can display them correctly, and as far as I remember Internet Explorer 5.5 is practically the same as IE 6 so that takes out half of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.