PDA

View Full Version : USB modem and Airport problems

Madscientist_UK
Aug 9, 2003, 12:51 AM
My family uses a USB modem for our ADSL connection, my dad just put an airport card into our G4 tower and an airport extreme card into his new 12" powerbook. We want to connect the 12"er to the internet through the Tower and then through the modem. However while we can get the connection working on the 12"er for things like software updates we can't get any web browsers to work. The text will load but not the images. We've looked at Apple's discussion pages but everyone there seems to end up getting an ethernet modem, which my Dad doen't want to do :( "It should work so I'm going to MAKE it work".

Anyway getting to the point does anybody know if there's a way of making it work with a USB modem or is the ony choice forking out 150 for an ethernet modem

Cheers

Mad.

patrick0brien
Aug 9, 2003, 12:54 AM
-Madscientist_UK

Patience, you did post on a Saturday morning. We'll help you out. Looking into it now...

Madscientist_UK
Aug 9, 2003, 01:04 AM
I know it's early, large family means this is the only way I can go on line and get some peace :) doesn't last though my Mums literally just started giving me jobs to do, it's 7am and it's started :( still I know what patience means (in theory). All help appreciated.

Mad

Madscientist_UK
Aug 9, 2003, 01:14 AM
Little bit of an update, because all the apple networking bits (software update etc) are fine we compared the ethernet modems and the usb modems and we think that the problem may have something to do with the Network Address Translation part of internet sharing as this seems to be what the usb modems don't have. That's our guess but we don't know what to do about it or if it's correct.

Mad.

patrick0brien
Aug 9, 2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Madscientist_UK
...may have something to do with the Network Address Translation part of internet sharing as this seems to be what the usb modems don't have. That's our guess but we don't know what to do about it or if it's correct.

-Madscientist_UK

Hmm. Have you considered a wired router? You could pick one up for only a few pounds, it should solve your issue, and be good for the future.

Therefore you could set it up as:

ADSL <-> Router <-> Tower <-wireless-> 12PB

Let the router handle the translation (PPPoE of course)

Madscientist_UK
Aug 9, 2003, 02:29 AM
When you say router do you mean something like the Hermstedt Netshuttle DSL (which is an ethernet modem) or something which isn't a modem which we could fit between the USB modem and the tower? So it would be something like

ADSL <-> USB modem <-> router <-> Tower <-wireless-> 12"

My Dad wants to avoid buying an new modem (see 1st post). We know that buying a new modem would work, but he wants to find out if it's possible to get the USB modem working first.

Mad.

patrick0brien
Aug 9, 2003, 01:17 PM
-Madscientist_UK

Actually, a router is a device that will allow many computers to share the same IP address from the ISP - and it sounds like you are needing just that - even if you are shunting one computer through the other.

I personally recommend the Linksys BEFSR11 (http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?prid=142&scid=29) but that's just me.