Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
How long do our past mistakes remain in the MR data base? Out here in California, our driving record is wiped clean after 3 consecutive years of no violations; I was kind of hoping for something like that here at MacRumors. :confused:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I would post an example, but then I'd get banned for that. :eek:
Well, did they resemble body parts or something?

Anyway, if MR bought their own parcel of land in Second Life you could have been put in the stocks and we could have thrown things at you. :cool: I'm sure things'll be a lot more lenient here. :D Probation for the rest of your life, maybe.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Well, did they resemble body parts or something?

Yes, they're the refrigerator magnet version of the calendar girl. I just now ran a search on eBay's search box under "MAC TOOLS" and I noticed that the refrigerator magnets are still for sale. The girls are a bit racy, but they do have their attributes covered. :eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes, they're the refrigerator magnet version of the calendar girl. I just now ran a search on eBay's search box under "MAC TOOLS" and I noticed that the refrigerator magnets are still for sale. The girls are a bit racy, but they do have their attributes covered. :eek:

I bet ebay's servers just got hit with a ton of searches for "MAC TOOLS"!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
How long to our past mistakes remain in the MR data base? Out here in California, our driving record is wiped clean after 3 consecutive years of no violations; I was kind of hoping for something like that here at MacRumors. :confused:

Don't worry. We remember you forever. :D

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
How long to our past mistakes remain in the MR data base? Out here in California, our driving record is wiped clean after 3 consecutive years of no violations; I was kind of hoping for something like that here at MacRumors. :confused:
If you haven't had the obligatory, partial lobotomy as yet, the result of the third infraction, you should be on your way to recovery. MACDRIVE..... Oh, MACDRIVE....why are you staring off in to space?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is a valid question, since moderator actions tend to be harsher after multiple infractions, with mere warnings more likely for first offenses.

With a bit of research, we can sometimes dig up "dirt" about a member's past infractions. However, if somebody had trouble following the rules years ago, it's likely that it won't have much effect on moderator actions now.

Example:
Person A broke a rule for the first time in 2007.

Person B broke a rule in 2002, then again in 2007.

Person C broke a rule in 2006, then again in 2007.​
Even if we happened to remember Person B's history (which would probably be true only if it was a major infraction), we'd tend to treat Person B more like Person A than like Person C.

In other words, time gradually erases old problems, but there's no rule that says they go away completely. I think it's a fair system.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
So in other words, MACDRIVE, you might want to consult a lawyer and not post anything except 'No Comment'. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This is a valid question, since moderator actions tend to be harsher after multiple infractions, with mere warnings more likely for first offenses.

With a bit of research, we can sometimes dig up "dirt" about a member's past infractions. However, if somebody had trouble following the rules years ago, it's likely that it won't have much effect on moderator actions now.

Example:
Person A broke a rule for the first time in 2007.

Person B broke a rule in 2002, then again in 2007.

Person C broke a rule in 2006, then again in 2007.​
Even if we happened to remember Person B's history (which would probably be true only if it was a major infraction), we'd tend to treat Person B more like Person A than like Person C.

In other words, time gradually erases old problems, but there's no rule that says they go away completely. I think it's a fair system.

That sounds suspiciously like math again. You bring math into every equation! :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
So in other words, MACDRIVE, you might want to consult a lawyer and not post anything except 'No Comment'. ;)

Posting short remarks that aren't relevant to the topics on a regular basis can be considered trolling, and is a banable offense.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
And if Person A + Person B = Person C then everyone goes away thanks to Person Q ;)

and 6 doesn't like 7 because 789.

all in the house that jack built.
/goes off to take another crazy pill

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
And if Person A + Person B = Person C then everyone goes away thanks to Person Q ;)

and 6 doesn't like 7 because 789.

all in the house that jack built.
/goes off to take another crazy pill
I just hope you aren't monitoring my downloads:eek:

Special Blood lines have it, we consider us lucky. It becomes more predominate as we get older. I'd write the equation to show you all how this affects us but well I don't to cause brains to explod.
have another avatar:D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's in his blood! :)
Not for long. I have an appointment to donate some of it today.

So I'll post one last math comment before all of the numbers have have been drained out of me:
Doctor Q's definition of pi:
the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the circumference of a circle that's only one 3.14159....th as big around!​
If you want to know more about the science of gradually fading criminal records, let's get a physicist in here to talk about half-life decay rates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.