PDA

View Full Version : Apple spokeswoman says company on target to ship all orders ...

MacBytes
Aug 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple spokeswoman says company on target to ship all orders for G5 machines this month. (http://www.forbes.com/2003/08/09/cx_ss_0809peopletowatch.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jlegun21
Aug 9, 2003, 03:25 PM
its all good

Tha_Sylent1
Aug 9, 2003, 03:27 PM
we're noty important??

TenderBranson
Aug 9, 2003, 03:28 PM
Nice. Hopefully the G5 won't be the new powerbooks all over again.

Brother Mugga
Aug 9, 2003, 04:06 PM
Here's hoping this is (a) true and (b) includes Europe (the Forgotten Realms of Apple corporate, it sometimes seems).

My Athlon PC crashed twice today from the heat (..."my god, Putty - the heat!") taking a chunk of sweaty work with it. And that's with the side of the PC off and a Zalman system installed.

How do they sell PCs to the middle east, for god's sake? Or saharan Africa?

I only live in Gravesend; it's hardly arid (except perhaps culturally).

That nine fan G5 can't get here soon enough.

Brother Mugga

Chisholm
Aug 9, 2003, 04:18 PM
I called about the 3 G5's I ordered in mid July, Apple person said they were going to ship 9/15/2003. I'm going to call every Monday til they show up.

cheers!

Veldek
Aug 9, 2003, 04:34 PM
That means the end of my dream of a Dual 1.8 GHz. Since they are said to be ready to ship every order, there's no need for them.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 9, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Chisholm
I called about the 3 G5's I ordered in mid July, Apple person said they were going to ship 9/15/2003.

Was this the original date given by Apple? I ordered a dual 2.0 on July 24 and was given a shipping date of 10/3/03. It'd be nice if it were to ship "before" rather than "on" this date.

It is nice to hear all the original orders projected for August will be shipping. My only hope is with my later shipping date of my order than Panther will be included as some rumors predict Panther to ship mid-Sept.

brhmac
Aug 9, 2003, 05:10 PM
:confused:

Who is this person that always has to rate a rumor, news item, etc. as negative?

What can possibly be negative about an article confirming that G5 shipments will occur on time?

:rolleyes:

JtheLemur
Aug 9, 2003, 05:31 PM
Whelp, 22 days left. Here we gooooo!

cb911
Aug 9, 2003, 05:33 PM
so if the PowerMacs are shipping this month, could this be the rumor of something arriving on the 18th or 19th? i guess that could be so... that would mean that the PowerBooks are still at least a month away.:(

Vlade
Aug 9, 2003, 05:33 PM
Cool... i want one :rolleyes:

mvc
Aug 9, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Veldek
That means the end of my dream of a Dual 1.8 GHz. Since they are said to be ready to ship every order, there's no need for them.

Oh, I think they may yet turn up in the next revision - something like:

Dual 2.2
Dual 2.0
Dual 1.8 bottom end instead of that silly Single 1.6 :)

Only trouble is you will probably have to wait until January, or October/November if you are lucky?

MattG
Aug 9, 2003, 06:08 PM
Woohoo!

So why does my order still say "On or Before 9/2/03?"

merges
Aug 9, 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MattG
Woohoo!

So why does my order still say "On or Before 9/2/03?"

Maybe Apple expects to ship your computer in August, perhaps even two or three weeks before your date of 9/2/2003, but doesn't want you to be upset if potential unforseen delays affect the shipping date.

Dahl
Aug 9, 2003, 06:21 PM
Good news, now I just have a pick a model.

Chisholm
Aug 9, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight
Was this the original date given by Apple? I ordered a dual 2.0 on July 24 and was given a shipping date of 10/3/03. It'd be nice if it were to ship "before" rather than "on" this date.

i didn't have an original date. i just happened to get bored and called them the other day. It kinda felt like she was just pulling the exact ship date outa her arse though.

geekyjeff
Aug 9, 2003, 08:42 PM
I guess that means my 2.0 Dualy WILL ship on 8/29/2003 as is suggested on my order from 6/24/2003. YAHOO

trog
Aug 9, 2003, 08:48 PM
I called about the 3 G5's I ordered in mid July, Apple person said they were going to ship 9/15/2003. I'm going to call every Monday til they show up.
If you are lying about that, it is SO cruel to tease people.

Shrike_Priest
Aug 9, 2003, 09:37 PM
For those who got "On or before 9/2/2003", did you order Duals?

Because IIRC, the duals were gonna ship later.

I placed the order to the company taking care of personel-purchasing the day after they were announced, but unforuntately, I don't know when they made the order to Apple.

Hopefully I'll be getting it next week so I can set it up before school starts on the 18th. But I'm not exactly holding my breath.

mdreed
Aug 9, 2003, 09:38 PM
I ordered mine on 8/2 and Apple says it will ship on or before 10/15. Is this realistic? I sure hope it'll be sooner.

LethalWolfe
Aug 9, 2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by mdreed
I ordered mine on 8/2 and Apple says it will ship on or before 10/15. Is this realistic? I sure hope it'll be sooner.

Considering there are, what, 2 months worth of pre-orders before yours that sounds about right.

Lethal

mxpiazza
Aug 9, 2003, 10:08 PM
i orderd my build to order Dual 2.0 gHz G5 on 6/24, and mine is slated for shipping for "on or before 8/29/2003". The way I see it, there are these possible ship dates out there:

8/29 (first shipment)
9/2 (makes no sense to me)
9/15
10/15

Mine was orginially "August", then was changed to "9/2/2003", as was the rest of the peoples who ordered right away. Then all of those were changed to 8/29. As far as I know, those machines being ordered up until 3 weeks after the keynote on 6/23 were still included in the 8/29 ship date, then after that point (around the 15th-20th of july), the orders started getting later ship dates. Now here is something interesting... 3 weeks after I ordered my system, I called Apple up to see if I could put the superdrive back into the system. The guy told me that I would be essentialy ordering a new system, and my order would be pushed back 2-3 weeks. So then I asked when my estimated shipping would be, and he said on or before 8/29 still... So according to him, my system should be shipping between 8/8 and 8/15. So I guess there is some stock in the BEFORE of the on or before 8/29... i just want the thing here already!!

Chris Marks
Aug 9, 2003, 11:17 PM
This is definately good news. I first started looking into purchasing a powermac in January, but wasn't happy with the dual 1.42 G4. So not too long after that the (reasonable) murmurs of a G5 started. I've been anticipating it ever since then, following all the info, etc. So, when June 23rd came around, I already knew I was going to buy one. I ordered the dual 2.0 right after the keynote, so hopefully I'll be one of the first to get mine shipped.

I'll be sure to post lots of details about it if I am one of the lucky ones.

Dahl
Aug 9, 2003, 11:40 PM
I have been waiting for a long time too and I could have bought one right away, but I just wanted to see some reviews on the machines before I buy. Now I just hope I won't have wait an extra long time, just because I didn't order an "untested product" when they were announced.

fpnc
Aug 9, 2003, 11:58 PM
Well, I guess this means that there is a good chance that some G5s will ship this month. However, I suspect that it will be very few and most will be waiting until at least September for their pre-orders to arrive. Frankly, until I see at least one G5 actually on display at the local Apple store I have to consider these systems vaporware. However, I'll become a true believer if I can see and test-drive a dual-G5 before the end of the month (at the Apple store).

When you think about it, Apple must at least ship a few G5s before mid September or their claim to be the fastest and first 64-bit personal computer will be in serious jeopardy. As I understand, the 64-bit Athlon is scheduled to ship on September 23 and in the PC world systems are generally available in quantity on the day the chip manufacturer officially launches its product. Apparently, a few samples of the Athlon64 have been shipping since June (to manufacturers) and most expect that the high-end 2GHz processor with 1MB of L2 cache and an on-chip memory controller will be available from the get-go. So, the 2GHz G5 must ship in obvious quantities before mid-September or Steve Jobs may have to eat his own words (and in that case, heads will roll at Cupertino).

mxpiazza
Aug 10, 2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Dahl
I have been waiting for a long time too and I could have bought one right away, but I just wanted to see some reviews on the machines before I buy. Now I just hope I won't have wait an extra long time, just because I didn't order an "untested product" when they were announced.

you see, my friend, i was thinking the same thing. to speak the truth, i was watching the keynote in hopes of a powerbook update, then i was going to order one of those. but the g5 blew me away, so i slept on it a night to think about it, what the risks of getting a rev. a product were, and simply put... this is WAY TOO HUGE for apple to screw up. they just won't do it. the userbase is expanding, more apple stores coming, and now the most fast and powerful computer on the market.... you better believe that this is going to rock. so at 9:03 PM PST on 6/24/2003, my order was recieved by apple computer for a dual g5, and with express overnight shipping, i am going to be one of the lucky few in the world to say that i had my g5 the first day it was out, and it's going to be great. you snooze, you lose my friend. and with the g5 we should see regular speed bumps in 3-month intervals (after rev. b, whoich should be in february or march). so what is the point of sitting and waiting just because the next best thing is going to be out in 3 months? well, right now it is THIS 3 months, and I am going to have the best computer on the planet, and if for 3 months i can know that every time i look at my g5, i'll be happier with my computing experience then i ever have been.

Awimoway
Aug 10, 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by brhmac
:confused:

Who is this person that always has to rate a rumor, news item, etc. as negative?

What can possibly be negative about an article confirming that G5 shipments will occur on time?

:rolleyes:

The thing about rating an article is you only get two choices. If you want to explain it, you have to come here.

I rated it negative because I call bupkus on this one. I love their products, but damn if Apple doesn't have a track record of being perennially late on product releases.

macnews
Aug 10, 2003, 01:20 AM
Like others have mentioned, I just hope it will also move up my dual from Oct to earlier in Sept. I order late-mid July.

fluffy
Aug 10, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Brother Mugga
How do they sell PCs to the middle east, for god's sake? Or saharan Africa?

They don't... the ones who can afford them are covered by export restrictions, and the ones who can't have other things to worry about than having the leetest gaming rig.

daRAT
Aug 10, 2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Awimoway
The thing about rating an article is you only get two choices. If you want to explain it, you have to come here.

I rated it negative because I call bupkus on this one. I love their products, but damn if Apple doesn't have a track record of being perennially late on product releases.

Same here, I rated the floating shipping date as a negative, not the computer.

Unitl I here people from this group have them and they are working fine , I'll be a doubter as to when we will see them.

And yes I want one, but not until they are reviewed, benchmarked and generally kicked around ;]

MattG
Aug 10, 2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Shrike_Priest
For those who got "On or before 9/2/2003", did you order Duals?

Because IIRC, the duals were gonna ship later.

I placed the order to the company taking care of personel-purchasing the day after they were announced, but unforuntately, I don't know when they made the order to Apple.

Hopefully I'll be getting it next week so I can set it up before school starts on the 18th. But I'm not exactly holding my breath. Yes, mine's a dual.

wdlove
Aug 10, 2003, 09:34 AM
I think that this is great news for Apple. On time shipments is always a plus. My local Apple store said they expect the G5 to be on display by the end fo August!

redcalx
Aug 10, 2003, 11:56 AM
My order date still reads on or before October 9th :( (this is for a dual 2)

What are people reading from this article? The way it's worded they make it sound as though ALL G5 pre-orders will ship this month, but I have a feeling what it means is that all G5 orders slated for shipment this month WILL ship this month?

Anyone?

Chisholm
Aug 10, 2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by redcalx

What are people reading from this article? The way it's worded they make it sound as though ALL G5 pre-orders will ship this month, but I have a feeling what it means is that all G5 orders slated for shipment this month WILL ship this month?

Anyone?

I'm inclined to agree with you. If you place an order on the web right now, retail or educational, it shows a 7-10 week wait on shipping.

Chisholm
Aug 10, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by trog
If you are lying about that, it is SO cruel to tease people.

Lie about what? These machines are for a university video editing class that starts in a few weeks. I put my ass out there to not order the machines earlier. Fortunately the professors don't actually use the machines the first few weeks of class.

I placed our order on the 23rd, about an hour after the keynote. 3 weeks later the secretary admitted she screwed up the budget transfer and we had to reorder, thus the 9/15/2003 setback.

Phinius
Aug 10, 2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by mvc
Oh, I think they may yet turn up in the next revision - something like:

Dual 2.2
Dual 2.0
Dual 1.8 bottom end instead of that silly Single 1.6 :)

Only trouble is you will probably have to wait until January, or October/November if you are lucky?

I'm sure Apple wants to make only the most expensive Power Macs that they possibly can, so that the sales are limited to only those that can afford those high prices.

mxpiazza
Aug 10, 2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by redcalx

Anyone?

ok, in case you didn't read my earlier post, i'll give you my shtick... apple recieved my order for a build to order dual at 9:03 pm on the 24th for june (day/night after the keynote), and my order is set to ship 8/29. Apple made promises that the orders that they said would ship in August would indeed ship in august... so they're protecting themselves buy making is you ordered express overnight shipping (which i did) and if it ships at the latest possible date, the 29th, you'll get it on Saturday the 30th, becaouse Sunday is the 31st, and Monday is the first of September. There is no doubt in my mind that all of the orders that say "On or before 8/29/2003" will ship on 8/29 at the latest, but if your order says anything but that, you're waiting. Don't read too much into the article... like Chisholm just said, it's not like I'm going to order another Dual right now and i'm going to get it bu the end of the month when the estimated shpping time is 7-10 weeks, you dig? hope my unneccesarily lengthy reply helped.

negrito
Aug 10, 2003, 01:35 PM
our school ordered 45 g5 dual 2ghz machines the day of the keynote (in fact the order was already present at apple they just had to wait to make an offical order). this costs about $ 175'000.- :o. and as in an earlier post they said that apple will first deliver to the business and education institutes we may get them before school begins...this is in fact in two weeks.

our school absulutely needs those machines. our director surely tries everything to get them before schoolstart! ;) i wasn't at school for 6 weeks so i may get by there tomorrow and look around if i can find some g5's.

expect some big review at least in two weeks.

dragula53
Aug 10, 2003, 01:51 PM
for those who are still saying "Poopoo on apple's benchmarks"

Go look at www.barefeats.com's g5 comments.

Barefeats is one of those sites that isn't afraid to say yep, the g4 doesn't compare to a pentium 4, but we still like it.

Anyway, the comment goes something like "The G5 beat the P4 in all of our benchmarks except for 1"

Moo

trog
Aug 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Chisholm
Lie about what?

Just kidding, man. I'm just another mac user finding it hard to sleep waiting for my G5. I even read your post wrong, I thought you said 8/15 :p

mvc
Aug 10, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Phinius
I'm sure Apple wants to make only the most expensive Power Macs that they possibly can, so that the sales are limited to only those that can afford those high prices.

Well, I think they want to make the fastest Power Macs they can, and won't want ANY machines (excluding perhaps iBooks & eMacs) with a processor speed under 2GHz within 12 months.

Expense is a secondary consideration, as even the Mac faithful aren't buying their slow machines anymore. Wouldn't matter what the price was, noone wants a slow computer.

And sure, they are exploiting those desperate to upgrade and the early adopters at this point by making only the top end model dual processor, but in a few months I sincerely believe it will be a different story.

Apple is painfully aware that to the general punter perception is reality regarding GHz despite benchmarks.

So I suspect they will need to go dual throughout most of the PowerMacs to differentiate them as pro machines when the iMacs go to G5. And that will happen as soon as its technically possible to do it, because iMac sales are languishing.

That high yield of 1.8s they are apparently getting at IBM will probably find their way quite quickly into the top iMacs and Powerbooks as singles so that the gap back to those models is not so huge. Sure, that might have to wait for the die shrink for the powerbook, but if its doable, they WILL do it as soon as they can.

They have simply never had the option to even come close to matching actual speed and GHz with the wintel world for the last 4 years. They cannot blow this opportunity for catchup.

tizza
Aug 10, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I think that this is great news for Apple. On time shipments is always a plus.
Let's hope this is setting the trends for new product releases - on time new PB's hopefully!! (whenever that is ...)

firedrake
Aug 10, 2003, 10:00 PM
I just ordered mine Wednesday, and I was told "On or before October 17th" then. I'd love it to be sooner, but I'm not expecting it.

yoshi1013
Aug 11, 2003, 12:22 AM
At this point, seeing "G5" and "shipping" in the same sentence is almost more than I can bare. So much anticipation, so much waiting...

Dahl
Aug 11, 2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by firedrake
I just ordered mine Wednesday, and I was told "On or before October 17th" then. I'd love it to be sooner, but I'm not expecting it.
That's just silly. By then it most be almost 2 months or something like that since they were announced.
I haven't ordered yet and if they really are going to be that much behind, I might just wait some more and get a later rev. :(

jettredmont
Aug 11, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by daRAT
Same here, I rated the floating shipping date as a negative, not the computer.

Unitl I here people from this group have them and they are working fine , I'll be a doubter as to when we will see them.

And yes I want one, but not until they are reviewed, benchmarked and generally kicked around ;]

In other words, the rating system is useless, as we have three possible reasons to rate an article negative:

1) The news is "too good to be true" and, therefore, not likely.

2) The news is crappy; I don't like it.

3) The news is too crappy to be true. I refuse to believe it.

This, then, covers 100% of all possible rumors or news items. Why even have a "rating" system?

Genie
Aug 11, 2003, 08:21 PM
I'm expecting the g5 to ship as they say to me on Aug 29th, but how much is it going to cost to upgrade to Panther????

By the way, when i asked this question to Apple they said, I don't know, but we'll give you a free iSight to keep your order.

Dahl
Aug 11, 2003, 09:55 PM
A free iSight camera ??
That sounds good.

redcalx
Aug 12, 2003, 11:33 AM
Hmm, I tried this Isight gag on apple this morning by asking about the deal with Panther and all I got was "we're not allowed to comment on future releases or release dates"

Then he proceeded to tell me the wrong date for my G5 shipment (he said september 10th instead of Ocotober 9th) and while I was begening to freak out he said "Oh wait, I read it the wrong way, it is Oct 9th"

I love apple to death, but this insane wait for a computer that costs so much is extremely dissapointing.