Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I was wondering if there was any way for me to take an existing and finalized wmv video file that I have which I made on Windows Movie Maker back on my old PC, and split it at a specific point during the clip.

It's a slideshow I made of pictures with my friends and it's 23 minutes long, and contained 4 songs so it would be ideal if I was able to split the video file at the end of the 2nd song. Is there any program (preferably freeware) that could help?

On a side note, I've been trying to convert the file to .mp4 so it can be edited with iMovie, but it's not working in VLC.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
I don't think there exists such a program apart from flip4mac. VLC doesn't support WMV files, and ffmpegx will probably encode your file to any other supported codec on your machine.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the reply, but I was able to convert my wmv files extremely easily using iSquint.

Back to the topic, I'm still looking for a program that can "trim" a video file at specific point, being able to save the two halfs as their own files. Can any program do this? I know QT Pro can do this but by the reviews I've read it's not worth $30 to trim 1 file. There has to be a freeware program to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks bigboss.

I actually found out that iMovie 6 can do it. Was extremely simple too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.