PDA

View Full Version : National Wireless Internet?

arn
Aug 9, 2003, 03:33 PM
So, what's the word on this?

It's been a long time since i've looked into this.

I guess a few things have emerged:

1) WiFi internet. Which is nice, but you need to be in a coffeeshop/cafe that offers it. I guess some places - like parks are started to get it... but it's not prevalent enough to rely on it as your sole source.

2) Cellphone. I guess with the new systems, it's easier... but data rates are still pretty poor - aren't they? I can' tsay I've used it very much... but may in the near future. Anyone comment on it?

3) Other. I guess there are other packed-based technologies. such as the Palm wireless thing. Anyone using these?

thanks
arn

Gidman
Aug 9, 2003, 03:39 PM
I am using a wi-fi network at teh minnapolis St. Paul international airport right now. The connection is great the access super speedy.

They offer accounts in varying price structures starting at 6.95 for a day of access and ranging up.

Check out their sight at www.wayport.com. I think it works perfectly and will be available in many McDonalds soon.

Gid

Gus
Aug 9, 2003, 04:57 PM
Here's my question:

If AirPort Extreme Base Stations are bridgeable (actually, i think all models are if you have the know-how), then what is stopping an industrious state from installing these all over the state, bridged together on several connnections? I mean, isn't this possible? Expensive, yes, but possible? If each state did this, then wireless would truly be "everywhere". Heck , you could even set up a pay system like the AT&T long distance cards. You pay $20.00 and you get, oh, I don'y know, say 1000 minutes of surfing time annywhere on the network. Couldn't this be done?

Regards,
Gus

tazo
Aug 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
that would be very cool although then what would the point of wardriving be :D ;)

Abstract
Aug 10, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Here's my question:

If AirPort Extreme Base Stations are bridgeable (actually, i think all models are if you have the know-how), then what is stopping an industrious state from installing these all over the state, bridged together on several connnections? I mean, isn't this possible? Expensive, yes, but possible? If each state did this, then wireless would truly be "everywhere". Heck , you could even set up a pay system like the AT&T long distance cards. You pay $20.00 and you get, oh, I don'y know, say 1000 minutes of surfing time annywhere on the network. Couldn't this be done?

Regards,
Gus

Does anybody have $1 trillion to back this up? Its a great idea. ;)

@Arn: Maybe its just me, but I have never been to a cafe, park, or otherwise, where WiFi was offered. Maybe its because I'm from Canada. Not quite sure. But its a myth to me, much like a good Nicholas Cage movie. :mad:

Schiffi
Aug 10, 2003, 04:54 PM
I say mount wireless along phonelines. Even though it wouldn't be the "fastest" you could still get online. Or perhaps a new tech. I'm sure since DSL travels on standard phone lines, DSL like speeds should be achieveable through the same service cellphones use. Of course this requires new tech.

Schiffi
Aug 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
Ran across this:

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/compare/index.html

Jerry Spoon
Aug 10, 2003, 09:23 PM
The only place in St. Louis that I know of that has free wi-fi is the local St. Louis Bread Company's...kind of coffee/soup/sandwich places. I think their around the US but called Panera's, but I don't know if they have wi-fi at all their stores across the country. I've used their access several times and it's speedy and convenient. Actually, I sometimes choose to have lunch there just b/c I know I can whip out my ibook and check email etc. if the mood hits me.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 10, 2003, 10:28 PM
When my wireless router got fried, I stopped by the computer store to see if it was the router or my AirPort card. Sitting outside the store, I was able to pick up the computer store's network (but it has MAC registration) and another public network (which had all of its IP address range used). I went into the computer store and they told me to go down the street to the coffee shop where I got on just fine. There are lots of hotspots all over campus. When I'm sitting on the third-floor student lounge of the music building, everybody thinks it's way cool that I can watch Homestar Runner on the college of engineering's wireless network. :D

iShater
Aug 12, 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
The only place in St. Louis that I know of that has free wi-fi is the local St. Louis Bread Company's...kind of coffee/soup/sandwich places. I think their around the US but called Panera's, but I don't know if they have wi-fi at all their stores across the country. I've used their access several times and it's speedy and convenient. Actually, I sometimes choose to have lunch there just b/c I know I can whip out my ibook and check email etc. if the mood hits me.

Funny you should ask :)

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/12/panera/

pagemap
Aug 14, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Here's my question:

Regards,
Gus

Nice idea, but it wouldn’t work in the form you suggested. Having a statewide bridged network would be unusable because each node connected to the network would be part of one extremely large “broadcast domain” which means everyone would get everyone else’s traffic, and each node would discard traffic not intended for it. Eventually there would be so much broadcast traffic from devices trying to locate services that the network would be brought to a crawl. Also, wireless being a broadcast medium would not be very secure for long unless extreme measures were put into place (802.1x, LEAP). In reality you would have to use routing to split this network into multiple segments.

Schiffi
Aug 14, 2003, 08:32 PM
mmmmmmm St. Louis Bread Co.....

Was the name change to Panera's new? Cause I went by the local one today and there were big banners that stated "St. Louis Bread Co. is now Panera". Oh well, great sandwiches deserve great internet...

chicagdan
Aug 14, 2003, 09:13 PM
Here in Chicago, wifi is everywhere. Panera Bread Co. offers it for free, its in about a hundred Starbucks and a dozen McDonalds. There are great off-brand wifi providers in independent coffee shops on just about every block.

As for wireless ... ouch. I have AT&T Wireless and the Sony Ericcson T68i (with Bluetooth.) The service is absurdly slow and, when I had to use it with a "roaming" provider recently, I couldn't believe the bills. Don't believe the hype -- "national wireless service" my ass.

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Does anybody have $1 trillion to back this up? Its a great idea. ;)

@Arn: Maybe its just me, but I have never been to a cafe, park, or otherwise, where WiFi was offered. Maybe its because I'm from Canada. Not quite sure. But its a myth to me, much like a good Nicholas Cage movie. :mad:

They should just put a super powerful wi-fi antenna on the top of the CN Tour? Free wi-fi for all of Toronto.

AnotherMortal
Aug 17, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by arn
2) Cellphone. I guess with the new systems, it's easier... but data rates are still pretty poor - aren't they? I can' tsay I've used it very much... but may in the near future. Anyone comment on it?

thanks
arn [/B]

I believe verizon wireless has something they call "Express Network" which is really 1xRTT data connections. They utilize PCMCIA cards and USB adapters for compatible phones. The drawback is Mac is not officially supported by Verizon for this solution, but I have heard of companies that offer a 3rd party driver that supports most USB adapters for phones.
I wish I could find the link, but I'm stuck on pitiful dialup that only connects at 36 instead of 56. grrr.