PDA

View Full Version : Broke ibook LCD screen....*****!!!

cantthinkofone
Aug 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
i had my laptop on the floor in front of the recliner i was sitting it, i took the remote that i had put on the chair and fumbled it as i took it off of the chair. It fell about 2.5 feet straight onto my laptop and hit the screen. It bounced off of the the case in-between the hinge and the screen and then hit the screen about 2.5 inches up from the bottom. It made a crack from where it hit all the way to the top corner going at about a 45 degree angle to the left. Then the cat ran out of the room when i started cursing about my fumbling. There aren't any dead pixels some how, but it does have several cracks. Is there a plastic shield before the LCD layer?

if anybody has a spare 14" ibook LCD screen from a 1.42GHz i book, i have money if you don't need it. Its not under warranty by the way.

I will take pictures later tonight or tomorrow. @*!*$*!@%^%^@%#&^#%$^$%^#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sananda
Aug 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
i broke my ibook screen about a year ago .... i know the pain!

Cybergypsy
Aug 26, 2007, 08:47 AM
Never broke a screen yet i keep my MBP in my bed and alwys worry about jumping on it :(

sammich
Aug 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
Sorry for your loss. I hope you have a replacement (oh, sorry, reread your post...in that case, good luck getting that new one). So know how you feel. I dropped mine at school. I went apple-less for over 8 months.

Mine didn't bounce. The floor was concrete. It just made a bad sounding metal flopping noise. It had served me well.

jczubach
Aug 26, 2007, 09:03 AM
Sumbitch!!! all i have is a teeny little scratch which i shall never, henceforth, whine about again. best of luck.

cantthinkofone
Aug 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
well the camera is MIA right now of course. i tried with my cell phone but it blurs out the crack. i suppose i can live with it for now. I looked on ebay last night at screens and there was one going for about $60 with a few hours left on it, to bad i don't get paid until next friday :(

sananda
Aug 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
Never broke a screen yet i keep my MBP in my bed and alwys worry about jumping on it :(

that's how i broke mine. i was staying in a village in thailand. there were so many mosquitoes at night that we spent the evenings in bed under a net and sometimes watched movies on the ibook. one night i put the ibook at the side of the bed and managed to put my knee on it when getting out of bed later.

anyway, that was a year ago and it got a new screen but i had to wait until i was in england.

scotsboi77
Aug 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
i broke mine when really pissed - knocked it over and had only had it 4 weeks! I took it to an apple store and was hit with the cost.....once i'd pick myself off the floor - agreed to pay - what could i do as i didnt have insurance...

then when i went to pick it up - expecting a large dent in my credit card that i'd be quoted - the assistant told me that i didn't have anything to pay - and whether i was expecting to pay something....to which i stumbled a ...errr no no...and walked out an extremely happy first time Mac owner...

but i still remember the morning after the night before...and that sickly feeling in my stomach - so I feel for you.

cantthinkofone
Aug 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
heres the best picture of it i can get. its not really that bad but it just annoys me.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/matt1718/DSC01813.jpg

mkrishnan
Aug 26, 2007, 09:13 PM
That is relatively lucky if you can see cracks and yet the screen looks that good. Be EXTREMELY careful with the screen until you get it fixed. Pressure will likely expand the cracks and/or cause you to start losing some of your display. If you treat it with kid gloves, you might be able to keep using it at least a little until you get your replacement.