PDA

View Full Version : Macmini/macbook vs Quicksilver PM G4/800

Powerwing
Aug 26, 2007, 10:09 AM
I use my computer for iLife (esp. iMovie), some light gaming (older games like jedi knight 2 and warcraft 3). I currently use a Quicksilver Powermac G4/800 with 1Gb of RAM, ATI Radeon 7500 with 32Mb, OS X.3.9 and two 7200rpm Hard drives.
I also have a pismo powerbook g3 with 384Mb of RAM which runs OS 9 as OS X is way too slow on this machine.
I would either get a Macbook 2,16 with 2Gb of RAM to replace both machines (can't afford a MB Pro), or get a Macmini C2D 2Ghz with 2Gb of RAM and keep the pismo (I only need portability to use word and excel), and I'd keep my 17" TFT monitor (1280x1024 isn't that bad).
My question : how would a new mini/mb compare to my G4 performance wise, taking into account that the mini/mb have the GMA950, and only have 5400 rpm hard drives. Would I still be able to play my games (both received a UB patch) without problems ? How would you say the GMA950 compares to my equally crappy Radeon 7500 ?

Eidorian
Aug 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
Refurbished MacBook Pro runs $1499 with the 128 MB X1600.

Secondly, wipe the floor good sir.

Powerwing
Aug 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
Refurbished MacBook Pro runs $1499 with the 128 MB X1600.

Secondly, wipe the floor good sir.

I also want to dual-boot with Ubuntu. Linux and ATI do not make a happy couple. I want Intel or nVidia.

Eidorian
Aug 26, 2007, 10:18 AM
I also want to dual-boot with Ubuntu. Linux and ATI do not make a happy couple. I want Intel or nVidia.I see your point there. Still, hopefully ATi has made some improvements of late.

Powerwing
Aug 26, 2007, 10:21 AM
I see your point there. Still, hopefully ATi has made some improvements of late.

So, back to my original question then. Any thoughts ?

Eidorian
Aug 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
So, back to my original question then. Any thoughts ?Both games should be fine using the GMA950 and the UB patch.

Artful Dodger
Aug 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
Both games should be fine using the GMA950 and the UB patch.

I would agree since my GF's iBook runs WCIII just fine, so did my eMac when I had it (man did I date myself on that :o). If you have a 17" I'd go Mac mini as any good screen would be nice compaired to the Macbook's screen at times…

Powerwing
Aug 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
I would agree since my GF's iBook runs WCIII just fine, so did my eMac when I had it (man did I date myself on that :o). If you have a 17" I'd go Mac mini as any good screen would be nice compaired to the Macbook's screen at times…

Well, if I get the Macbook, I'd be using it in extended desktop mode. But as I don't really need to have more power 'on the road' than I already have with the pismo, I kind of dislike the idea of buying a new notebook and have it plugged in most of the time.

About that GMA950 : would it be sufficient to play Freespace open ? Does anyone have any experience running this game (or any mod such as the Battlestar Galactica mod) on a mini or a macbook ?