Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Hi,

I have finally got my dual 1ghz G4 with the GeForce4 MX card, capable of dual display. But...I do not use apple monitors, is there any adapter to convert from the ADC connector to either regular VGA or DVI?

Many thanks,

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You have to buy a Dr. Botts DVIator

http://www.dviator.com/

Your machine should have two video connections, and regular and DVI, so one monitor only needs the DVIator. Its about $200 and I would recommend just going out and getting a Apple Display if you can, unless you have 2 LCD lying around. The DVIator is more than just a plug in converter, its got a transformer and a few more wires than you'd probably like.

Good luck;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by dukestreet
You have to buy a Dr. Botts DVIator

http://www.dviator.com/

Your machine should have two video connections, and regular and DVI, so one monitor only needs the DVIator. Its about $200 and I would recommend just going out and getting a Apple Display if you can, unless you have 2 LCD lying around. The DVIator is more than just a plug in converter, its got a transformer and a few more wires than you'd probably like.

Good luck;)

Er...maybe I didn't paint a good enough picture. OK here's my setup:

Dual 1Ghz G4 with GeForce4 MX Video - 1 x Regular VGA & 1 x ADC (NOT DVI)
I have 2 x NEC LCD 1810X (18" Flatscreens) that have both VGA and DVI inputs.
At the moment I have 1 x 1810X on the regular VGA port of the GeForce4, I want to be able to have the other on the ADC port for dual screens, but, I can't since the 1810X's don't have ADC (obviestly :D ).
My question is: Is there some sort of adapter to turn the ADC into either regular VGA or DVI?
(NOT an adapter to turn the VGA to ADC which is what the DVIator does)

Many thanks again,

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by verbose101

Er...maybe I didn't paint a good enough picture. OK here's my setup:

Your picture was fine, my writing wasn't. The DVIator works with ADC, that's what I meant to put instead of DVI. Go check out the site. I've seen these things at my local Apple Store, I wanted to connect an Apple monitor to my TiPB, but could only do it with a DVIator. So I settled for a Sony 18" instead.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry dukestreet, maybe I'm loosing the plot. But from what I am reading on the site the DVIator converts a DVI port on older video cards to ADC so that the DVI can be hocked up to a apple ADC display, right?
What I am after is something to turn the ADC on the video card of the new PowerMacs into regular VGA or DVI.

If I'm totally loosing it please let me know...I might be...:D

Many thanks,

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ah!!

It was my impression that it would work both ways. Check with them and see and let me know.

Sorry for the confusion.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ah!!

It was my impression that it would work both ways. Check with them and see and let me know.

Sorry for the confusion.

I can't see how it would work both ways because of the male / female connectors involved.
Does anyone else have any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks,

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Thanks everyone!

I have just ordered my VGA Extractor, for anyone in the UK interested they can be got from dabs.com :) As can the DVI Extractor and so on.

Cheers again,

Jamie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.