PDA

View Full Version : iBook and bug spray

Gus
Aug 10, 2003, 02:15 AM
Ok, something has happened to my iBook that has me really ticked. I was sitting on my porch tonight surfing the net and the bugs were driving me nuts, so I put a little bug spray on my legs. The bugs went away and I typed merriily along. When I got up to go inside, I noticed the top of my iBook, which was resting on my thigh (bottom portion of the top when opened), had a "blurred" area. I take very good care of my iBook, but the "blurred" area will not come off with a damp towel, and I think it is the result of a chemical reaction between the plastic and the bug spray. Anyone have any bright ideas on what might take it off without further damaging the iBook? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gus

Vector
Aug 10, 2003, 03:11 AM
Rubbing alcohol.

shadowfax
Aug 10, 2003, 09:30 AM
assuming your iBook is white, i am sure that bleach couldn't hurt it. good show man, i'll laugh at you if it gets fixed... otherwise, i feel bad...

visor
Aug 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
how do your legs feel?

vanillamike
Aug 10, 2003, 03:14 PM
I am buying some of that iCleaner (http://www.ipodcleaner.com) that might work, also there is that ice creme by radtech. These are polishing agents though not sure if they will fix a chemical reaction change in the plastic.

Mike

uhlawboi80
Aug 10, 2003, 04:41 PM
just looked at my can of off...there arent any chemicals in it that should react with polycarbonate ( i even consulted my p-chem book real fast to make sure i wasnt mistaken). That being said, its most likely just an oily residue from the bug spray and you cant remove oil with a damp cloth. Use some sort of surfactant...even dish soap or screen cleaner. They shouldnt reall do anything to the polycarbonate either.

Gus
Aug 10, 2003, 05:01 PM
See, i thought the same thing about the bug spray and the reaction, but it seems to be fairly tough, not oily. Maybe it just dried on there. I used to have the iClear stuff, but I ran out. I'll try something else and let you know what happens. Thanks for the ideas!

Regards,
Gus

Rezet
Aug 10, 2003, 08:30 PM
I'm afaraid You are screwed. You see, most of those anti-bug sprays are as toxic for plastics of any sort as they are for bugs.
I had an anti tick spray for my dog. When I sprayed it on my dog, I accidently missed some of it and it landed on my PS2. I didn't notice it at first but when i came back in 2 hours, the spots of PS2 where chemical landed look like they MELTED!
I then tried to make sure it was caused by it, and I sprayed that and different aniti bug spay on a jewel cd case from a cd. Well, it did same thing to the case.

I'm afraid you won't be able to get this off if the chemical got into the plastic.

rainman::|:|
Aug 10, 2003, 09:05 PM
If the chemical reaction isn't too deep, an abrasive polish may help remove the affected layer. It may also spread the chemical around and cause further reaction, who knows.

Brasso is one abrasive polish (tho it says otherwise, it's an abrasive when dry), but it's mild... i don't know about others. If you're really concerned, you could take it to a jewler, who typically have stronger and specialized pastes (like for watch faces) to buff out imperfections. But it might be cheaper at that point to buy a new case panel...

pnw

Powerbook G5
Aug 10, 2003, 09:33 PM
They should put a warning message on that bug spray "Warning: effective at killing bugs and iBooks"

Rezet
Aug 12, 2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
They should put a warning message on that bug spray "Warning: effective at killing bugs and iBooks"

Yeah, maybe should try to sue 'em over it hehe.

Get a load of this local story over here....
Some woman here washed a dog and didn't feel like drying it I guess. So she put the dog into a microwave (to quick dry it I guess). Well (DUH), dog is dead. BUt she is suing a microwave company because they didn't put a sticker or some sort of a warning on a microwave that ONE cannot dry dogs in it or something.

Honestly, I'd like to punch people like that. ..... :)

Powerbook G5
Aug 12, 2003, 12:51 AM
Whenever I am hopeful for the progression of the human race, I find myself completely shot down by people like that.:rolleyes:

Gus
Aug 12, 2003, 01:03 AM
That's like backing over your friend in your car and suing the car company for not warning you that might happen. Geesh.

Or smoking for 40 years and suing the tobacco companies because you have cancer. I mean really...oh wait. ;)

Regards,
Gus

iJon
Aug 12, 2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
Yeah, maybe should try to sue 'em over it hehe.

Get a load of this local story over here....
Some woman here washed a dog and didn't feel like drying it I guess. So she put the dog into a microwave (to quick dry it I guess). Well (DUH), dog is dead. BUt she is suing a microwave company because they didn't put a sticker or some sort of a warning on a microwave that ONE cannot dry dogs in it or something.

Honestly, I'd like to punch people like that. ..... :)
punch her, its not like she has a warning on her head.

iJon