PDA

View Full Version : Cannot explain this one, but life after death for my iBook battery.

one1
Aug 26, 2007, 08:28 PM
My iBook battery was showing a zero charge and refused to even turn the charger light orange when plugged in. I just got an X on the battery meter on the iBook as well I got NO lights on the battery when I pressed the button. I was prepared to spend $50-75 on ebay to get a new battery for it, but right before I was going to go buy one I decided to hack the case open on the battery and see what the deal was by testing the cells and looking over the motherboard in the battery. All the readings on coconut battery were -1000.

I used my trusty dremel to open the case and look around. I accidentally bumped the battery test button while I was in there and the lights lit up on the battery! I put it back together and the battery shows 90% !!!!!!!

I do not know if the battery test button had gotten lodged in the pressed position and that wigged the battery computer out (most likely) or if there was just a loose connection on the battery motherboard somewhere and when I removed the batteries from the case it made contact again, but my battery just went from "X" with zero lights and refusing to charge to 90% capacity on the coconut battery test!

So if your batteries brick and give you an X on your computer, before you toss them open them and check your connections and make sure everything is correct because I just went from a completely disabled computer that had to be plugged in the wall as well as a week wait and $75 out of pocket ....... to no wait, no money spent, and a fully charged working battery!

I was not able to determine if the culprit was a loose connection or the possibility the test button had gotten lodged down and wigged the on board computer out, but I don't give a darn, it works... it's ALIVE. :)

It's coming back! :) This battery was completely dead zero and refused to even try to charge half an hour ago. Now it's on it's way to 100% @ 90% capacity. :)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/stuff/revamped.jpg

fajm
Aug 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
You only got 57 charge cycles after 64 months?!

Santa Rosa
Aug 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
You only got 57 charge cycles after 64 months?!

Looks like this guy has magical healing powers to notebooks!! Anyone who bought apple care will be gutted now when they find out they could just send it to this guy!!!

Pleased that you could sort it, hope it keeps you going another good while!! :)