PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4, New HD

ae!
Aug 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
Hello,

I have a powerbook g4 1.5. I had a great idea to put one of the new seagate 7200.1 100GB HDs out of the new macbook pro into it. One problem, after loading up Super Duper!, copying everything, opening up the powerbook and switching the HDs, my new HD is SATA, while the ribbon inside the laptop is and IDE interface.

My question:

The ribbon that connects the HD to the logic board is IDE on the hard drive side, with a circuit connector on the other side. Is there a replacement ribbon that will fit the same socket on my logic board with a SATA interface on it instead of IDE? I know the ribbon out of the Macbook pro is SATA on one side, and socket on the other. Will that ribbon's socket fit onto the connector in my G4?

If so: where can I buy one?

If not: Is there a converter out there that is narrow enough to fit in the tiny bit of space at the front of the HD when it's screwed in and/or is there possibly a series of cables I can use to convert the SATA drive to fit onto the IDE ribbon?

All in all, I want to make this thing work in this pb, is it possible and can any of your genius minds suggest how?

Thanks so much,
ae!

CanadaRAM
Aug 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
Nope. Impossible.

Get an external Firewire case for the SATA drive and call it a day.