Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cossie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Hi,

I'm interested in writing some simple applications that will let me control the bluetooth hardware in my MBP so I can communicate with software I wrote on my mobile phone.

I've seen a few tutorials and some examples of other people's projects that are all written using Obj-C. I'm not sure if I really want to spend the time learning Obj-C (I'll probably spend time with the basics) so I'm was wondering if it's possible to still access hardware / drivers using C or C++, as I've a few years experience with both.

Thanks,

Anthony

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
I can guarantee you that the actual code that those examples are calling are written in C. They are most likely the Cocoa layer. There will be a much nastier lower layer written in C for the OS developers to use. Apart from that I cannot tell you where to start looking.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
The only reason the examples are written in Objective-C is because it is faster to whip up a simple GUI. But often a lot of Apple's examples use Carbon. Hardware access is through IOKit which is all C-based, so you can use it just fine in a Carbon app (or through a standard CLI app).

cossie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
The only reason the examples are written in Objective-C is because it is faster to whip up a simple GUI. But often a lot of Apple's examples use Carbon. Hardware access is through IOKit which is all C-based, so you can use it just fine in a Carbon app (or through a standard CLI app).

CLI = Command Line Interface, right?

Thanks for the replies.

I'll start getting familiar with the IOKit and the developer notes for Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.