Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Let's just say that I have a friend of a relative who knows someone who works for Steve Jobs and word around Apple is that a new computer called the iMac Pro could be in the near future.

I know what you're thinking... this is a joke. All I'm doing is relaying information I read last night via email (I'm not giving any names). I don't believe this anymore than you do, but I'm not totally shoving it aside.

So what do you think? Could this "iMac Pro" finally be the mid-range desktop solution from Apple? The name makes the sense since the "Pro" name assumes the user wants more, meaning we could finally be able to work inside the case (not counting the Mac Pro, of course).

Yay or nay? If it's true, I would love to own one! :)

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Let's just say that I have a friend of a relative who knows someone who works for Steve Jobs and word around Apple is that a new computer called the iMac Pro could be in the near future.

I know what you're thinking... this is a joke. All I'm doing is relaying information I read last night via email (I'm not giving any names). I don't believe this anymore than you do, but I'm not totally shoving it aside.

So what do you think? Could this "iMac Pro" finally be the mid-range desktop solution from Apple? The name makes the sense since the "Pro" name assumes the user wants more, meaning we could finally be able to work inside the case (not counting the Mac Pro, of course).

Yay or nay? If it's true, I would love to own one! :)

ur so lieing...well gues what..my real name is Eric Jobs, and hes my father.

he told me about the new ipod.and the new iPod is a 500gig flash video iPod with touch controls and 400 hours of video playback for only $199

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I don't know how much more 'pro' you can get into the thin iMac than the 24" 2.8 config.

Hmm...being able to 'work inside a case'? You mean like user replaceable parts in a case that is about the size of a really big laptop? Don't get me wrong, but all this is mostly wishful thinking...reminds me of the days when MacOSRumors.com used to be around.

We can all dream...

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
What I mean is an actual desktop... like the Mac Pro, but smaller. Think the size of a Power Mac G4, but maybe a little thinner.

And please don't call me a liar. I stated in my original post that I was simply relaying information. I seriously do know the person.

Perfectionist

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
London - UK
An iMac Pro is almost a certainty ..... whether it arrives in 6 months or 6 years is the question !! :)

Here's hoping that the OP is right !! :D If it's true, any idea when it might be announced ??

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
What I mean is an actual desktop... like the Mac Pro, but smaller. Think the size of a Power Mac G4, but maybe a little thinner.

And please don't call me a liar. I stated in my original post that I was simply relaying information. I seriously do know the person.

Umm, is there much size difference between the PowerMac G4 and the MacPro? I wouldn't call the PMG4 a mini tower by any stretch....

Do I want something between the mini and the MP, of course!

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2007
Here's a toast to the iMac Pro.. with the only difference being a matte glass screen. Hehe.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It had better come in a different case... either that or complimentary fire insurance.

Besides, don't the i and the Pro cancel each out? Might as well call it the Mac...

... which we've never talked about before, of course.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Umm, is there much size difference between the PowerMac G4 and the MacPro? I wouldn't call the PMG4 a mini tower by any stretch....

Do I want something between the mini and the MP, of course!

Yes, there's a huge difference. We've got both at work, and while they're not side by side it's easy to tell the difference. Without looking up the measurements of each machine and figuring it out, I'd guess the PM G4 is roughly 2/3rds the volume of the Mac Pro.

As for the rumor, I'd say anything is possible, but if it's anything emminent I'd wonder why they'd go through all the redesign and launch of the iMac and not launch the new machine at the same time, especially with the high end 24" (and really even the base 24") being pretty darn "pro".

As for getting a non-AIO user configurable machine... well, I'd certainly love to see Apple do it, but I'm pretty jaded about Apple at the moment. They had a chance to do something REALLY cool with the mini - if not make a lot of "power user/prosumer"s dream machine, at least make most of them quite happy by building a powerful, well rounded machine that's priced well. They didn't do it, and have really failed that customer group... I'm just not confident at all that they will improve in that realm.

My guess would be that if there in an iMac Pro, they'll move the high end 24" to that line/name, and also add a version of the high end 20" with a better screen (S-IPS or something) and 2gb RAM standard. Oh, they'll dump the glossy displays for both of them as well. Probably toss in a high end GPU as a BTO option, tpp. But that's it, no BIG changes, just some different builds/components.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I know this is a long stretch, but maybe that's why the current iMac is glossy-based. Apple may introduce a more "pro" model, but with the option of glossy or matte. I know it sounds weird, but I like to think of it this way... we have the MacBook and then the MacBook Pro. And now it could be the iMac and the iMac Pro.

But then again, all this could just be "talk."

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Considering they basically did this before one before recently with the PowerMac G5, it is always a possibility.

An iMac stuffed into a tower case with a few slots and a video card.

Apple sort of killed the iMac G5 tower off rather quickly though.

Advertising it as an iMac Pro would definitely be better than keeping it tied to the Mac Pro line and their minimum workstation price points while using a consumer architecture.

Right now the iMac line really needs to make the leap to a true desktop architecture, when this happens it may be back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.