Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Look at this graph, we must have new drivers!!!

http://www.barefeats.com/imacal3.html

123fps in Quake 4 is A LOT!!!
Please AMD, make us new MacOSX drivers, to be able to get half the speed of Vista.
Isn't this just because Mac has better support for OpenGL?
Seems to me the same graphs are reversed when the games are using that DirectX crap.

This allows: "iMac runs games better than Windows itself!"
and: "The new iMac still only has half the speed of a budget PC!"

to both be true. At least when it comes to gaming.

The thing that pops into my head when I hear these things however is always:
"Why do we judge computer performance based on the habits a tiny subset of computer users who's main goal is mental masturbation?"

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
"Why do we judge computer performance based on the habits a tiny subset of computer users who's main goal is mental masturbation?"

Not sure where you pull you numbers from, but the billion dollar computer gaming industry and even a poll on this forum (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/340844/) would debate your statement above.

dollystereo is just excited about the latest 3D video performance results he found for the new iMac. Perfectly understandable. At least he is not insulting and condescending.

Oh, and people use 3D gaming benchmarks as a reliable indicator of a computer's performance capability because it is something everyone can directly relate to in the REAL world. As opposed to benchmarks such as SpeedMark, PC Mark, CPU Dhrystone, CPU Whetstone, etc.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
Isn't this just because Mac has better support for OpenGL?
Seems to me the same graphs are reversed when the games are using that DirectX crap.

This allows: "iMac runs games better than Windows itself!"
and: "The new iMac still only has half the speed of a budget PC!"

to both be true. At least when it comes to gaming.

I dont really play with my computer, but seing the potential capabilities of the Radeon HD 2600, is what am excited about. I currently have a Mac Pro, and I need a good card to work in motion, so I expect apple to offer me something soon, and if they offer something around HD2 series, I hope we get better drivers. Because the card can handle.
In fact, games reflect very well the power of the computer in terms of graphic capabilities, Quake 4 is a demanding OPEN GL app. I do some Maya working, so it will help a lot.
And gaming is important for "normal" people who have computer for media entertaiment propouse, like my 14 years old brother who will like to play SCII, and Q4, and the price range of the imac is very good.
So in fact, the future performing of the new beautiful imac is REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME AND OTHER PEOPLE HERE. (they have numerous threads about the HD2 cards and the new imac gaming performance)
So when I read this, I found it really useful!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.