PDA

View Full Version : Just saw a 17" powerbook in person today

pagemap
Aug 10, 2003, 11:16 PM
WOW! That thing is even bigger than I imagined. I want one :).

I also tried out the 23" flat panel screen and my jaw nearly dropped. A few photos online do not do justice to these two pieces of artwork.

cb911
Aug 10, 2003, 11:33 PM
yeah, i saw a PowerBook 17" in person for the first time about a week ago. i was really surprised with it, looks alot different in person. i was also surprised how nice the hinge worked (but i'm comparing that to my old Rev.C TiBook).

I haven't seen a 23" Cinema Display yet, but i imagine it would be spectacular. :D

Powerbook G5
Aug 10, 2003, 11:42 PM
I take for granted having an Apple store 5 minutes away so I can see those things whenever I'd like...but they are pretty amazing. The 17" is huge...the screen doesn't look as big on an iMac, but on the PowerBook it looks like a monster. And if you think the 23" is amazing...there are rumors of a 30" Apple LCD screen, too...

MoparShaha
Aug 11, 2003, 04:07 AM
I was at my local computer store, and they had 2 of those 23" HD displays hooked up to a Power Mac G4. I just stood there in awe. Pretty spectacular site, I couldn't imagine having that kind of setup. I think the 17" screen looks bigger on the PowerBook because it has a much thinner frame around the screen. Same size screen, just an optical illusion. Overall, the 17" PowerBook is a very impressive machine. I saw that 17" Toshiba? laptop at Costco, the thing is rediculous. It can't even begin to compare to the Apple.

thebossisback
Aug 11, 2003, 09:04 AM
I saw the 17 inch powerbook too nd I was amaxed how well the hinge worked. It felt like it was floating

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 09:31 AM
One thing that amazed me about the 17" is how light it is. The thing is lighter than my 14" PowerBook G3, which is lighter than any notebook I have owned yet.

jxyama
Aug 11, 2003, 09:37 AM
my boss has both 20" and 23" apple displays. 23" is the main and 20" is just on the side, spanning the PM... drool...

those things are massive and amazing, especially the 23". the 20", including the casing, is as big as the 23" screen part!

Catt
Aug 11, 2003, 09:45 AM
the 23 inch cinema display is amazing to behold, but it is ludicrously expensive - although you certainly get a great display for you money.

idea_hamster
Aug 11, 2003, 10:25 AM
I recently noticed that the 17" kept the Type I/II Cardbus slot that the 15" has. I've been trying to figure out something to do with this slot (besides Airport) and can't really find anything to put in there on my 15". Do we know what Apple has in mind for this slot? What do they think people are putting in there -- especially on the 17" which has pretty much everything built-in?

Kwyjibo
Aug 11, 2003, 10:43 AM
some people have CF readers for them, others use it for backup netoworking or 802.11g on the current 15". also since the 15" has a bad antenna they might use an external card for that too. i had and iBook so i never looked into any of those cards neway.

D*I*S_Frontman
Aug 11, 2003, 10:53 AM
Hey Hamster,

Check out magma (http://www.magma.com) . You can add up to four full-size PCI cards to a portable PowerBook via the CardBus slot. It's not really cost effective for 99% of computing applications, but remote video/audio production is one exception where using outboard cards with a laptop would be nice. Heck, their expansion chassis will even work with my lowly Pismo!

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 11, 2003, 11:07 AM
i agree about the hinge. it's so much smoother than my Ti's hinge. plus it doesn't add any extra protrusion's like the current hinge.

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 11:32 AM
I've been using laptops with those Cardbus slots for years and never yet found anything to use with them. It's more of a "incase you may need it" sort of thing. I haven't heard anyone mention wanting to use them until the 12", so now everyone seems to be wishing it were built in...

plutnicki
Aug 11, 2003, 12:16 PM
A compact flash reader that plugs into the cardbus slot... Anyone have a pointer to such a thing, that would be really convenient!

Thanks,

Kwyjibo
Aug 11, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by plutnicki
A compact flash reader that plugs into the cardbus slot... Anyone have a pointer to such a thing, that would be really convenient!

Thanks,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006B9QD/qid=1060624610/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/104-8907552-8174347?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

Like this?

plutnicki
Aug 11, 2003, 01:03 PM
Yup, like that... Cool.

That would be a nice little adapter to have around... No cables or external boxes or anything needed...