PDA

View Full Version : InDesign CS3 won't recognize my font!

dopey220
Aug 27, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm doing up a résumé in InDesign CS3, and it won't recognize a font that I want to use. I'm thinking CS3 in general doesn't like the font, because I can use it in Pages, but not InDesign or Illustrator. I've installed it numerous times, as well as restarting both InDesign and my entire system, to no avail. It's really beginning to piss me off. Can anyone help?

macstudent
Aug 28, 2007, 08:59 AM
what is the font? What is its name, and what type is it? Opentype, truetype, postcript? Where did you get it? How did you install it?

Also, if you copy a font into the applications>InDesign>fonts folder, InDesign should recognize it.

dopey220
Aug 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
It was this font:

http://www.dafont.com/v5prophit.font

The dot and cell versions work just fine, but fading doesn't. Which sucks, because that's the one I want. The weirdest part is that it worked just fine in CS2, but now it won't in CS3. I tried installing it with font book and dropping it into library/fonts, but nothing is working.

Black&Tan
Aug 28, 2007, 02:59 PM
Have you tried deleting your Font caches? Both the Apple and Adobe.

mouchoir
Aug 28, 2007, 04:53 PM
After looking at a sample of your font from the provided link, I would advise against using it for your résumé (sp?) and go for something a little simpler.

dopey220
Aug 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
After looking at a sample of your font from the provided link, I would advise against using it for your résumé (sp?) and go for something a little simpler.

Oh, heavens, no. That would be a disaster. That V5 Prophit font is only used once on the entire file. It's just the main heading. The copy is all Futura, quite an attractive, tasteful font IMO. I chose the font in question for the heading because I wanted sort of a futuristic feel. Trust me, it doesn't look bad.

Anyway, how would I go about clearing the font caches?

macstudent
Aug 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
you can clear you font caches with font xplorer X. It is a free font mangament utility.

dopey220
Aug 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
No good. Fontexplorer X recognizes the font, but InDesign still won't have any of it.

Black&Tan
Aug 29, 2007, 08:18 AM
You said that FontXplorer recognizes the font...but did you use the program to clean your font caches? That is most likely the cause of your problems.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest opening the font in whatever layout/graphics program works with it, typeset your headline, and export the page as an eps. Then place the cropped eps file into your resume/cv.

dopey220
Aug 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
I cleaned font caches with both fontexplorer x and mainmenu, uninstalled/reinstalled numerous times with both font book and via drag and drop, repaired permissions, even booted up with my OSX install disk and repaired the disk with disk utility. Nothing works. It displays fine in fontexplorer x, font book, pages, and neooffice, but not in CS3 (photoshop, illustrator, indesign).

Claytoniss
Sep 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
Try installing the font into the font folders on all the CS3 Apps. I had a font issue where it kept shutting down my program everytime I went to print or to export as a pdf. I threw it in each programs folder and no more freezing....at least some of the time.

Try that and see if it works.