Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
My name is Cody, and I have been on Apple for 2 years.

I have a PowerMac G4 that does everything I need it to do. I have an iBook that suites me just fine for scriptwriting and traveling purposes. But I find myself, almost everyday at the apple website awing a new powerbook or g5. It is becoming a daily addiction; if I don’t get a new one soon I am not sure what will happen. I am a student filmmaker, I could use the extra MHz I guess but I really don't NEED it. What is wrong with me? I should be perfectly content with what I have. I have bought a new Mac every Christmas for the past 2 years. I am 15 and I don't get much help from my parents... Does anyone else share my addiction? Anyone a recovering addict?

Please help!
-cody

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am also addicted, although, I am not able to get a new system quite as often as you due to low funds (and I thought life would be easier with a car and a girlfriend...heh). I keep telling myself I will be happy with a new 15" PowerBook...but then I'd want an iSight and an iPod and a G5 and a cinema display...by the time I get everything I want, I'd have sold my first born, along with the rest of my future family...

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
It's human nature to want more. Geeks obsess quite a bit about the latest and greatest, just like car-junkies go nuts for the biggest and baddest after-market add-ons. We don't always need new machines, but show me a geek who doesn't drool at the idea of a bigger and better machine and I'll show you the average consumer. Apple makes it especially difficult to ignore, as the machines have radical changes in design every few years.

You are not alone. I even lust after machines that have been out of production for years (the 20th anniversary machine, for example).

Dan

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm obsessed now... but only since i sold my 667 TiBook 3 months ago. i was very happy when i had that.

but now that i'm waiting for the PB updates i'm here every day,as well as checking out heaps of other sites.

at least i know i'll be cured as soon as the new 15" PowerBooks get here. :D

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
Spoiled

I guess we are all a bit spoiled, the best advise I can give; Go back to a PC once in a while after that you will be perfectly satisfied with your current Macs. :p

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I am too an addict. I switched in Feb of 2002 and so far have had 4 macs...

First Mac... Classic iMac G3 600...Feb 2002 (sold to buy PB)
Second Mac...PowerBook G4 667...July 2002 (Sold to buy my iBook & 3G iPod)
Third Mac...iMac G4 700...August 2002
Fourth Mac...iBook G3 900...March 2003.

And I am hoping to get a G5/20" Cinema Display in November from my company.

Oh yeah and I have had 3 iPods since Feb 2002 as well a 1G - 5GB, 2G - 10 GB, and a 3G - 15GB.

I know the feeling of being addicted. It happens...although I will say it NEVER happened when I was a PC user. I never drooled over them or anxiously awaited the next version or even read a rumor site about the. Just goes to show how much I love Macs...

MacboyX

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I'm dangerously in love with the Cube. I don't need it, it's too slow, they're still pretty expensve, but I still want one. I really don't know how much longer I will be able to resist. If a G5 cube ever appears, I will buy it the second it's announced. Allthough I won't need it, allthough it will be slower than a G5 tower, allthough it will be very expensive. Addiction? Call it what you want...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.