Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
Recently i bought a mac and was wondering about and looking into games for mac so i have a few questions...

Would it be possible to wrap bioshock? or.. would it be better to play in vista with DX 10?

Would the new imac 24" top end be able to play it anyway? (not interested in top settings, just playable)

Other games like TDU (test drive unlimited) possible to be wrapped?

any info is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
The HD2600 is more than enough to play today's games, and many future ones. But certainly not at high qualities. Expect it to run well on medium settings, maybe compromising on screen res a bit too.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
I'm not sure about Bioshock, I will download the demo and try it with Cider, and report back to you. Half Life 2 works - and that's more than enough for me :D

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Cider isn't intended for end-users(/gamers), since you need the game's source code to actually make use of it.

WINE/Darwine might be solution in the future. But right now, it won't work.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Cider isn't intended for end-users(/gamers), since you need the game's source code to actually make use of it.

WINE/Darwine might be solution in the future. But right now, it won't work.

Completely untrue :) Cider is a customized version of WINE that seems to use SDL for video output - you can ciderize many Windows games freely for your own use using the Cider included in GameTap Lite (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/utilities/gametapliteplayer.html) just by pointing cider at the windows exe - it runs it as WINE would.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
So, how do I do it?

You have to place the game folder into a specific directory within the Ciderized app package. Then, you have t edit the app package's main plist file to point to the right executable. If you do a spotlight search within the .app package, you should be able to find the one app's .exe file, and simply go up the chain until you reach the Program Files folder.

I haven't done this, so I'm not completely sure if it works or not. Aside from that, it doesn't seem hard to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.