PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen, Apple working on 'iCar'

MacRumors
Aug 29, 2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

German magazine Capital is reporting (google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capital.de%2Funternehmen%2F100007543.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8)) that talks between Apple and Volkswagen are in an early stage for a so-called "iCar".

According to a Volkswagen company spokesperson, the two company heads held talks a few days ago in California on more heavily incorporating Apple products in Volkswagen's compact cars.

Apple already has a dedicated page for the integration of its iPod products into automobiles (http://www.apple.com/ipod/carintegration.html). Recently, Apple has worked with BMW (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/14/new-bmws-to-incorporate-iphone-integration/) for iPhone integration in 7-series models.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/29/volkswagen-apple-working-on-icar/)

Eidorian
Aug 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
I remember the old iPod offers.

But this? Wow...

MikeTheC
Aug 29, 2007, 11:40 AM
The question in my mind is: can VW improve the quality of their cars to make it a worthy purchase? Consumer Reports has lately been showing VW and Audi and others towards the bottom of the quality list. :eek:

uraniumwilly
Aug 29, 2007, 11:44 AM
Ah, THAT'S how Apple decided to finally roll out the new version Logic Pro. A Volkswagen and a recording studio all in one package... Genius!

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Awesome! I planned to keep my '06 Jetta, but this might change my decision. A GLI or a 3.6 liter Passat is looking better after hearing this today. In regards to quality, I've had no issues with my VW. Even after someone hit me 4 days after buying it new off the lot. Doh! They've stepped up their quality in the past model year. Best car I've had so far, and yes I've been an owner of a Honda before.

Grimace
Aug 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
I would totally buy an iCar! :p

Eduardo1971
Aug 29, 2007, 11:47 AM
Volkswagen?:( Crap company making crappy cars.

Hopefully they will continue to work closely with BMW.

bigbossbmb
Aug 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
But it has no windows?

Exactly Ha Ha Ha... Death to conventional thinking!

mashinhead
Aug 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
is this actually referring to a car or simply an integrated computer system for your car?

slackintosh
Aug 29, 2007, 11:50 AM
I've always thought that VW and Mac owners were cut from the same cloth so to speak. An attention to detail, ergonomics and aesthetic seem to run along parallell lines between the companies....

I wonder if it's got anything to do with this;

from a VW press release regarding this years Frankfurt Auto Show...

"And if all that's not enough: Volkswagen will respond to the official motto of this year's IAA - "see what's driving tomorrow" - with a prototype. The heart of this sensationally flexible City Expert will beat where the flat-four "Boxer" engine once did in the Beetle."

bdj21ya
But it has no windows?

Exactly Ha Ha Ha... Death to conventional thinking!

And only one pedal. Yeah, yeah, we've all heard 'em before.

dogtanian
The question in my mind is: can VW improve the quality of their cars to make it a worthy purchase? Consumer Reports has lately been showing VW and Audi and others towards the bottom of the quality list. :eek:

I'd rather a German car than an American one :p In fact i'd rather have a Japanese one....which I do. Toyota Aygo. Don't think any current small VW offerings are particularly exciting, its always the Japs making fun cars. (The mini aint 'fun' or 'quirky' anymore...

wordmunger
Aug 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'm about to get rid of a 2000 Passat that has had no end of problems. Every time we take it in for a routine oil change, inspection, or whatever, we end up with a $700-plus repair bill. The killer was the most recent one: the check engine light came on, and the repair shop says it's a $2500 replacement of the catalytic converters. Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

Chris Bangle
Aug 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
JAGUAR AND APPLE HAVE ALREADY WORKED TOGETHER... IVE BEEN POSTING THIS FOR TWO DAYS AND NO ONE HAS PAID ATTENTION..... JAGUAR AND APPLE COOPERATED ON THE NEW XF

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_official_picture.php?sid=964&page=5

end of first paragraph

N10248
Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
It won't have a steering wheel, just a really big click wheel so you can steer with one finger.

The gear changes will be controlled by a scroll ball identical to the mighty mouse's and the handbrake will be a Hold switch.

Available in white for $9.999 or black for $11,999 with either glossy or matte windows.

nagromme
Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
I don't know about this... but sign me up for an iPrius!

Eduardo1971
Aug 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
I've always thought that VW and Mac owners were cut from the same cloth so to speak. An attention to detail, ergonomics and aesthetic seem to run along parallell lines between the companies....
."

That's funny.

{You're being sarcastic right?:o}

Infinity
Aug 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
Good! I've been looking for a new iPod accessory!

cr2sh
Aug 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

I'd recommend a Toyota.. I payed $27,000 for an Acura and while it was beautiful and easy to maintain.. it rattled like a freaking chandelier!

My 96 toyota 4x5 truck with 186,000 miles still doesn't sound as noisey as that 2004 TSX with 20,000 miles.

Buy Toyota.

As for the whole iCar thing.. I'm kind of getting iTired of this iS**t.

jonharris200
Aug 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
It won't have a steering wheel, just a really big click wheel so you can steer with one finger.

The gear changes will be controlled by a scroll ball identical to the mighty mouse's and the handbrake will be a Hold switch.

Available in white for $9.999 or black for $11,999 with either glossy or matte windows.
And built-in Google Maps, obviously...

kkachurak
Aug 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm about to get rid of a 2000 Passat that has had no end of problems. Every time we take it in for a routine oil change, inspection, or whatever, we end up with a $700-plus repair bill. The killer was the most recent one: the check engine light came on, and the repair shop says it's a $2500 replacement of the catalytic converters. Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

That ain't a problem with your car. That's a problem with your mechanic.

Clive At Five
Aug 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
Awesome! I planned to keep my '06 Jetta, but this might change my decision. A GLI or a 3.6 liter Passat is looking better after hearing this today. In regards to quality, I've had no issues with my VW. Even after someone hit me 4 days after buying it new off the lot. Doh! They've stepped up their quality in the past model year. Best car I've had so far, and yes I've been an owner of a Honda before.

I was going to make a joke about this very same thing (holding onto a car a little bit longer to get the next generation) but then the newbie said it, and now my joke is ruined. I think we should ban him.

No one ruins my jokes and gets away with it.

-Clive

pocketrockets
Aug 29, 2007, 12:03 PM

Oh hell no! You are so wrong. VW is like the Gateway of cars. Toyota is more like the Apple, but even that's really stretching it. Toyota's hybrid technology is so advanced ma and pa repair shop will touch it.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is the closest company in philosophy to Apple.

macintel4me
Aug 29, 2007, 12:03 PM
My speculation is that this has to do with integrating the rest of the iPhone/iPod function into the car's electronic system as seamlessly as phone contact's via Bluetooth.

For example here are some other services I could see in iCar:
* Sync contact phone numbers and make calls with steering wheel buttons
* Sync contact addresses for the Navigation system
* iPod controls of the iPod via the steering wheel buttons
* View SMS messages, emails, web-browsing when the car is stopped
* Use google's maps and traffic for the naviagation system
* Integrate the car's GPS system with the iPod's/iPhone's google maps
* Sync with iTunes wirelessly while the car is parked in the garage :)

Papajohn56
Aug 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrright... thats why they're europe's largest auto manufacturer, and the 3rd or 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world. :rolleyes:

Well duh, there's a lot of girls and homos in europe ;) kidding of course.

VW is a crappy car overall lately, I wish Apple would cooperate with someone a bit better. Though VW does have a big appeal to hipsters/yuppies, so I can see where apple's going (except Apple appeals to those people and makes a GOOD product..)

bigbossbmb
Aug 29, 2007, 12:05 PM
VW technology sucks.

Yup, VW's 1,000+hp W16 engine in the Bugatti Veyron is terrible...

Edit: It's the fastest production car in the world. FYI

phillipjfry
Aug 29, 2007, 12:06 PM
Meat 'n potatoes
me 'n chevy's

"I'm sorry officer, I would put my car into park for you but I have gunk in my gear shifter and cannot change gears :("

pocketrockets
Aug 29, 2007, 12:07 PM
VW's 1,000+hp W16 engine in the Bugatti Veyron is terrible...

I'll take your word for it!

OhEsTen
Aug 29, 2007, 12:11 PM

or an iSmart ;)

Meemoo
Aug 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
VW has slipped on quality control as of late, but they will recover after the Porsche buyout. VW is also working on great technologies for different engines (low emission diesel, ect).

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/07/18/vw-polo-bluemotion-is-now-down-to-99g-km-co2/

Also, look at the history of VW - not their history of late. The Ferdinand Porsche designed beetle is one of the greatest cars ever made - period. Killer gas milage for it's time, it was inexpensive, reliable, well featured, looked great and was an overall high quality car.

I would love to see Apple whore Jonathan Ive to VW and see an OS X powered car. Jonathan Ive could be the first designer to leave a great impression on the auto industry since Ferdinand Porsche did with the original beetle.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0707_2010_volkswagen_new_beetle/ (back end looks nice but the front looks terrible.

Perhaps steve is tired of all this after-market integration crap and wants something that "works seamlessly"

Perhaps it will be a biodiesel/hybrid that needs to have the battery changed by an Apple Certified Technician and will cost you $80 :p

N10248
Aug 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
The Store already has accessories...

MadDog31
Aug 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
Volkswagen?:( Crap company making crappy cars.

Hopefully they will continue to work closely with BMW.

Yeah, perhaps they can incorporate it into a BMW the bottom 85% of the world's population can afford.

The 7-Series?!? C'mon!!!!!

mindbender
Aug 29, 2007, 12:17 PM
Not to throw a downer to this discussion, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that VW might pull its operations out of North America entirely because of poor business.

That's right. VW might pull out of N. America entirely after 2008.

http://news.windingroad.com/earningsfinancials/are-things-so-bad-at-vw-usa-that-a-pullout-is-being-considered/

Key point from the article: a source close to the automaker says: “For the first time in some time, the phrase ‘If we are to stay in the U.S.’ precedes a lot of conversations at VW.”

This was an enormous factor in my decision not to purchase a GTI this year, which I think is a fantastic car. Several of my friends have also reevaluated their purchasing plans because of this, and we're all waiting to see what happens.

I really hope they stay in N. America.

ambience
Aug 29, 2007, 12:20 PM
I feel that VW is a mistake to cooperate with because of VWs weak US marketshare. There has been talks of VW pulling out of the US market by 2010 if things don't turn around. VWs offerings as far as fuel efficiency are really lacking compared to Toyota-honda, and dare I say GM. The 150HP I-5 VW puts in all their cheap cars is an abomination as far as fuel economy, power, and refinement go. 5 cylinders and 2.5 liters of displacement and all they get is 150HP? Laughable :rolleyes:

Papajohn56
Aug 29, 2007, 12:21 PM

And Chevy makes the corvette but it doesn't make the Aveo any better

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 12:27 PM
Clive, my apologies for killing your joke. Looks like my lunch was a little earlier.

Funny how this went from Apple to who makes a better car.

Porsche failed in their attempt to buy Volkswagen, that was about a month ago.

A truly crappy car would be a Ford, and trust me I know from my own experience. Worst decision ever.

If you would ever wanted an Lamborghini, Bentley, or Bugatti, then you would be buying VW, since they are all owned by VW. Just a thought.

veneficuss
Aug 29, 2007, 12:28 PM

UMMMM VW BOUGHT Bugatti, and fired NO ONE. VW does not make the car, it is still made by the same Bugatti people as before. Your statement was ridiculously ignorant.

Eduardo1971
Aug 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
VW is a crappy car overall lately, I wish Apple would cooperate with someone a bit better. Though VW does have a big appeal to hipsters/yuppies...

Really? I disagree. Automobile makers that fit this stereotype, to me, are Saab and Volvo.

sminman
Aug 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
My speculation is that this has to do with integrating the rest of the iPhone/iPod function into the car's electronic system as seamlessly as phone contact's via Bluetooth.

For example here are some other services I could see in iCar:
* Sync contact phone numbers and make calls with steering wheel buttons
* Sync contact addresses for the Navigation system
* iPod controls of the iPod via the steering wheel buttons
* View SMS messages, emails, web-browsing when the car is stopped
* Use google's maps and traffic for the naviagation system
* Integrate the car's GPS system with the iPod's/iPhone's google maps
* Sync with iTunes wirelessly while the car is parked in the garage :)

Well the first 3 features that you want are included in the 2007 Range Rover Sport.

When I get into the car, my iPhone and my car talk to each other and then my whole entire phonebook comes up on my screen. It is quite nice and impressive since I didn't have to set anything up.

You can also control your iPod with the forward/back buttons on the steering wheel.

Chris Bangle
Aug 29, 2007, 12:32 PM
Im just trying to convey that Apple has already started working more closely with carmakers. But why would they work with VW, Ive drives an A8 and Jobs drives an SL. And VW's are dull, boring and unimaginative (VW's are boring not Audi and Bugatti etc....) VW and Apple is a stupid idea. Surely BMW and Apple. Why VW?

To the person who says that VW did NOT engineer the Veyron... You are completly wrong... That car is apart from the gearbox and tires, is ALL VW and VW Engineered... So it shows that they are capable of brilliance.

They are just very dull and boring at times. oh yeh and they killed Bentley.

blybug
Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 PM

Agreed...I bought my '98 New Beetle within a week of buying the newly released Bondi blue iMac and felt like they were somehow connected...

Naturally I just traded the '98 for a new '07 Beetle last week and now a rumor of an iCar??? Hopefully it won't come to pass for at least 4 more years, I'm certain to be sucked into the RDF created by an Apple/VW project...

http://www.bly.cc/images/beetlesticker.jpg

Posted from my iPhone

blurry5
Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 PM
who cares really?? i don't have a cell phone, if i wanted to talk to someone that is not with me at the current time im out doing something they can call me at home when i get there ill call them back...600$ for someone to spend on this trash just to be texting or chattin and swirve in front of me when driving..iphone should think about others on the road before causing more accidents...if i see someone on the cell phone on the road, they get it bad...i get in front of them slow down box them in whatever...they usually hang that phone up..so why try and hook up a car with internet pictures and things like that or whatever when its illegal for a screen (other than navigational purposes) to be in the drivers view?? what are yall fat and lazy and can't get out to play sports or something...the hell with an iphone all ya need are your friends and a ball or something...move around and do stuff besides worrying about what apple has to come out with...besides for yall wonder why verizon isn't part of apple is cuz they turned apple down when apple asked them to be the service. besides cingular has alot more international service than verizon...actually when my bro and sis left the country they had to switch to cingular cuz verizon is only good in US. and maybe one or two other countries. cingular is world wide...apple needed more ppl to try and entice. don't complain when your 600$ phone is lost broken or stolen...it just sucks to be you...get lives ppl.

iShak
Aug 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
bitting more than one can chew? or this just takes the cake? ..

help me out ...

Timothy
Aug 29, 2007, 12:37 PM
I think the idea of a dedicated personal PC in a car is a bad idea. It is gimicky and usually costs more than similar tech in a palm-top or laptop would cost. Apple should merely focus on making insanely great iPhones, iPods, and laptops, and then allow them to interface with any car via standard technology.

Don't build the laptop into a car that can't be upgraded and in the end costs me 3-times what the tech separated from the car would cost.

Eduardo1971
Aug 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, perhaps they can incorporate it into a BMW the bottom 85% of the world's population can afford.

The 7-Series?!? C'mon!!!!!

Agreed. I have a 3 series and I frankly don't care for the 7 series. BMW will be releasing the 1 series in the United States next year. I'm sure they are integrating the iPod control into that line; not too sure on the iPhone (doubt it).

walangij
Aug 29, 2007, 12:40 PM

I wonder if it's got anything to do with this;

from a VW press release regarding this years Frankfurt Auto Show...

"And if all that's not enough: Volkswagen will respond to the official motto of this year's IAA - "see what's driving tomorrow" - with a prototype. The heart of this sensationally flexible City Expert will beat where the flat-four "Boxer" engine once did in the Beetle."

Anyways, on two huge VW enthusiast forums (one larger than MR), most VW owners also are Mac users. Here though, most MR users love the Asian Hondas/Toyotas, ect. I myself love VW just because of what you said, attention to detal, fun marketing, incredible engineering, super safety, ergonomics and aesthetics and interiors that are better than your run of the mill prius/accord/camry. Of course this is with certain models, not all. VW and apple both are lifestyle type companies, appealing not to raw specs or efficiency but a lifestyle and community. Whenever I drive my friend's accord, no other accord users do the simple hand wave, or look, or whatever, but when I drive my GTI, VW users always look, wave, there's a customary VW wave with your hand on the steering wheel that people do when another dubber comes along. Never ever ever heard of this from any Honda or Toyota. The community makes me love my car even more.

VW CQ is improving, the dark days are giving way to great new technology with diesels that rival hybrids, electrical problems, whatever you name it, all are getting better but to be safe I must say that this is with certain models not all.

But back to topic, Apple integration into cars is great, an iCar, maybe too far for people today. Its quick comical though, Apple is big in the States, but VW isn't. Abroad Apple isn't as big but VW is. Guess they both can benefit.

What I don't understand is this "Holier than thou" attitude these days among most consumers that Toyota and Honda are untouchable, perfect machines. I remember the same things being said about GM back in the day. I'm not implying that T or H are heading in that direction, heavens I hope not, but still consumer confidence in those companies is getting out of control. When my friend's new civic broke down it was like Heaven was punishing him (even though he ignored the recall).

Much Ado
Aug 29, 2007, 12:42 PM
Oh hell no! You are so wrong. VW is like the Gateway of cars. Toyota is more like the Apple, but even that's really stretching it. Toyota's hybrid technology is so advanced ma and pa repair shop will touch it.

Clearly readers of Macrumors know very little about cars.

Toyota as an Apple equivalent? Are you joking? And why all the VW hate? The Golf GTi as an iCar would kick ass.

Much Ado
Aug 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
UMMMM VW BOUGHT Bugatti, and fired NO ONE. VW does not make the car, it is still made by the same Bugatti people as before. Your statement was ridiculously ignorant.

And Audi bought Lamborghini and you think that didn't affect the Murcielago at all?

Dietmar
Aug 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
This article

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/,tt2m2/wirtschaft/artikel/504/130278/

says that VW is confirming talks between both companies. No talks about a concrete model though...

This

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sueddeutsche.de%2F%2Ctt2m2%2Fwirtschaft%2Fartikel%2F504%2F130278%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF8 (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sueddeutsche.de%2F%2Ctt2m2%2Fwirtschaft%2Fartikel%2F504%2F130278%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF8)
is the Google translation, which is rather classy...

Yebot
Aug 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
i'd like to see the photoshop mockups of this one.

zombitronic
I submitted this rumor weeks ago when I saw it on some blog. Que serra.

williedigital
How old are you? Ten? What an ignorant comment.

Actually, VW has gone after the Gay market in the US.

http://www.thegully.com/essays/gay_mundo2/wilke/021111_commercial_closet.html

BlueMars
Aug 29, 2007, 12:57 PM
And will the windshield be a touch screen??

tecnozone
Aug 29, 2007, 12:58 PM
If Apple wants to go for an ICar they should go with Toyota, marketing position and segment is already there with Scion.

surferfromuk
Aug 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Volkswagen Brands include ;

Audi (D)
Bentley (GB)
Bugatti (F)
Škoda (CZ)
Lamborghini (I)
SEAT (E)
Volkswagen (D)
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (D)

and 51% of Proton...

...and the whole group is 31% owned by Porsche

I'd say this is a BIG DEAL -

This could have serious stock impact - further enhances the ipod as an industry standard - Global brand elevation for Apple - Opens up new markets and new partnerships on many levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

plumbingandtech
Aug 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Scion

Eeek. Let's hope not.

Mgkwho
Aug 29, 2007, 01:01 PM
I wonder what the iPod integration is now...I think last year at the "It's Showtime" event Jobs said it was 70% of new cars sold in the U.S.? I bet it's over 90% now.

When they first announced iPod integration and whatever the low percentage rate was, Jobs was very enthusiastic about that little number. So maybe he's really into this new deal?

-=|Mgkwho

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
Audi is owned by VW, and always has been. They started the "upscale" car companies before the Japanese ever did.
They just never bragged that they owned them.

Look at Honda, they love to tell you they make Acura. Thanks, but a TSX is an Accord just rebadged. Toyota is Lexus, and Nissan is Infiniti, but they love to tell you this. While most people that aren't into cars, think Audi is Audi and only Audi. They are part of the VW Auto Group.

They also own SEAT and Skoda. Every car maker has their quirks, VW is known for electrical issues. I will say the fit and finish is better then some Honda, Toyotas, and Nissans. My girlfriend owns a 2004 Accord, and she keeps it clean, but the interior is starting to show quickly. Same thing goes for my good friends 2005 Accord V6, interior is already falling apart and the NAV unit is a black screen. It all depends on luck sometimes.

I can say some things on the VW are impressive, I have one touch up and down on all four windows, can you get that on a Honda? No. Does a Honda Accord sound like a tin can when you shut the trunk? Yes. Does your air go into recirc mode automatically when you go in reverse so you don't suck in your exhaust when backing up in a Honda, Toyota or Nissan? No. As mentioned earlier, DSG transmissions will be coming more into play in the future since most people can't drive manual anymore. I drive a stick personally, and will for sometime.

It's the little things that sometime impress you and wonder why someone would spend 2,000 more on a car with less features. I'll take my VW over a Honda Accord coupe anyday in regards to what I get for the price.

Clive At Five
Aug 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Clive, my apologies for killing your joke. Looks like my lunch was a little earlier.

No hard feelings, honest.

... but I thought you were serious!

Some people are ridiculous enough to hold off buying a car because they heard Apple was working on an iCar. :rolleyes:

Idiots.

-Clive

japasneezemonk
Aug 29, 2007, 01:09 PM
from personal experience, I had a 2004 Jetta 1.8t which was perfect for me. I dorve it from Chicago to Tulsa for 3 years once a month, and then everywhere around the city. I had a few problems which VW fixed for free. I really did not care, as long as they were fixed. I just traded it in for an Audi A3, and i could not be happier. I expect the same service that i received from Volkswagen(practically the same company). If anything should go wrong, warranty will cover it.

slicecom
Aug 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
Haha wow! Most of the people in here should stick to computers as it seems very few know ANYTHING about cars.

VW has been threatening to pull out of North America for the past 25 years, but hasn't ever come close to doing so yet.

VW owners are more likely to own Mac's than any other car buyer. This would back up the notion that VW is the “Mac” of the car world. I can’t believe anyone would think Toyota is! Toyota builds the most bland and unintuitive point A to point B vehicles around. They’re extremely reliable, but not much more.

VW and Apple certainly market towards and attract the same type of people. They both make product slightly more luxurious (more bells and whistles) than the norm at a slightly higher price. They are both notorious for horrible customer service and are both known to have fanatical fans.

I’d say they are a perfect fit.

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
Clive, that is true. That makes no sense to hold off on a car purchase for some small little add on. As for myself, I plan to keep my car, because I actually enjoy it regardless of what VW and Apple might have in the works.

I know Google and VW displayed a new NAV unit that used Google Maps. It was pretty sick, but that won't make me hold off and wait.

I personally am looking to getting an Audi next myself if I don't end up going with a Passat with 4motion. It all depends on how long I keep my current VW, and what the body styles look like.

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
Slicecom, sounds like how for years people keep saying Apple is going under. How many times has that been predicted?

From what I've noticed Mac owners are passionate about their computers, and the company. I would say same goes for VW owners. I will never buy a PC after finally owning my first Mac. I'm passionate about my laptop and Apple. Got my former roommate to break down and get a MacBook, and he uses it for work and he's in the IT field so you know he deals with mostly Windows. He likes the flexibility of it, since he deals with windows and linux environments. My Mom is next in line for a MacBook, and I'm sure I can get Pops to go for an iMac after he experiences the ease of use.

I love my 5G iPod, do I need another one? No, but if the new iPods are anything like the rumors, do I plan to get one. Of course.

Do I need a new cell phone? No, but the iPhone makes my Treo look like a giant turd. Plus, with the iPhone that's makes one less thing in my pockets, and I can keep the larger iPod with more storage at home.

Will I buy a VW again? Sure. Am I passionate about my Jetta, definitely. That's why I putting in some Euro parts for it, so it doesn't look like the NA version. Euro Switch, Euro LED tails, fog lights, Euro springs, and spoiler are in the works. All stock VW parts. Is it a little extra money? Sure, but it's worth it.

japasneezemonk
Aug 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
Actually, VW has gone after the Gay market in the US.

http://www.thegully.com/essays/gay_mundo2/wilke/021111_commercial_closet.html

So has Jaguar, and most other Luxury Car Brands. They will go after Markets with High Disposable Incomes.

iJawn108
Aug 29, 2007, 01:18 PM
That's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have had it first i read they are bringing back el caminos and now the icar, both as i have jokingly predicted for years now.

I am moving to the moutains this is too much for me! :eek:

boobooq88
Aug 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'd rather a German car than an American one :p In fact i'd rather have a Japanese one....which I do. Toyota Aygo. Don't think any current small VW offerings are particularly exciting, its always the Japs making fun cars. (The mini aint 'fun' or 'quirky' anymore...

I hope you realize that American cars are among the best quality cars you can find. And you do realize that Toyota trucks are made here in America as well. And you do realize that Ford owns Jaguar, owned Aston Martin up until only a few months ago, Volvo, 1/3 of Mazda, Land Rover and a few others. Chrysler owns Mercedes. Don't believe me? Look it up. And speaking of Japanese cars... The only company I would ever buy from is Toyota/Lexus.

Also... (if you consider racing as proof) If you look at Le Mans Series racing Standings for 2007 you will find that the 2 leading cars are American cars; Saleen S7-R & Corvette C6.R. The S7-R also holds the single lap record at Le Mans. Also... the C5.R/C6.R has won 5 out of the last 6 races at Le Mans (A freaking 24 hour race!!! If thats not a display of quality I dont know what is)

Although I do admit I would look at Japanese cars before I even think about buying a European Car (sorry but its true)

japasneezemonk
Aug 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
VW has been threatening to pull out of North America for the past 25 years, but hasn't ever come close to doing so yet.

Most of the probelms in VW had been a power struggle between Ferdinand Karl Piëch vs. VW blood sucking suits trying to suck every penny of profit from Volkswagen Cars by making cheaper cars to compete with the japaneese market.

un1ty
Aug 29, 2007, 01:24 PM

Wow, I just changed the catalytic converter on my car this week for $250.

slicecom
Aug 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
Slicecom, sounds like how for years people keep saying Apple is going under. How many times has that been predicted?

From what I've noticed Mac owners are passionate about their computers, and the company. I would say same goes for VW owners. I will never buy a PC after finally owning my first Mac. I'm passionate about my laptop and Apple. Got my former roommate to break down and get a MacBook, and he uses it for work and he's in the IT field so you know he deals with mostly Windows. He likes the flexibility of it, since he deals with windows and linux environments. My Mom is next in line for a MacBook, and I'm sure I can get Pops to go for an iMac after he experiences the ease of use.

I love my 5G iPod, do I need another one? No, but if the new iPods are anything like the rumors, do I plan to get one. Of course.

Do I need a new cell phone? No, but the iPhone makes my Treo look like a giant turd. Plus, with the iPhone that's makes one less thing in my pockets, and I can keep the larger iPod with more storage at home.

Will I buy a VW again? Sure. Am I passionate about my Jetta, definitely. That's why I putting in some Euro parts for it, so it doesn't look like the NA version. Euro Switch, Euro LED tails, fog lights, Euro springs, and spoiler are in the works. All stock VW parts. Is it a little extra money? Sure, but it's worth it.

Haha awesome man, notice how many people even in this thread are talking about how they own a VW or Audi. Here's my "gay" car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167514

Thank god I'm secure enough in my masculinity and straight sexual orientation to drive it. :rolleyes:

voncheech
Aug 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
i always though this should be apple's next frontier. they control our home media and our portable media. the car is the only thing left.
it would be nicer if it was not tied to a car company, but i guess they could get more control that way.
imagine getting in you car and popping in your ipod, like a big 8-track.
suddenly your radio screen comes on with front-row. all your music, videos, photos, contacts, notes. a google maps gps system with steve jobs voice. a built in speaker phone / voice dial that uses your iphone. check youe email with your steering wheel. i tie in to your car computer, so your apple system can tell you when something is broke on your car and then pop up a google page on how to best fix it.... i am sold!

japasneezemonk
Aug 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
Haha awesome man, notice how many people even in this thread are talking about how they own a VW or Audi. Here's my "gay" car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167514

Thank god I'm secure enough in my masculinity and straight sexual orientation to drive it. :rolleyes:

Audi RS4 wheels are nice.

kenzbud
Aug 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
I thought I read something similar to this earlier this year on here that it was mentioned in a German car magazine.

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
Whoa! Chrysler does not own Mercedes, Mercedes bought them, lost money and sold them to a private firm here in the past few months. Let's not get too crazy with who owns who now.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/FREE/70803012/1024

Ford is not know for quality, and neither has Jaguar. Granted Ford owns a lot of car companies and has stake in a good amount if they don't own a majority, but that doesn't mean they make quality cars. If they did, I don't think they would be in the trouble they are now. GM at least was a little smarter by staying mostly domestic, the only foreign entity I'm aware of is Saab. Top of quality listing is Lexus and Buick, and they tied for reliability. Yes, I typed Buick and that's an American company. Granted at the same time you should since you've made the same exact car for close to two decades now. If you can't get it right by now, then you should give up.

wordmunger
Aug 29, 2007, 01:31 PM

Do you have a volkswagen? EVERYTHING on a VW is more expensive.

No, it's not my mechanic. Repair costs for my Plymouth Voyager (not itself a very reliable vehicle) run about 1/3 the cost.

slicecom
Aug 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah and if he didn't get his car serviced at the stealership, he'd realize that for $250, he could buy and install a stainless steel, higher than OEM quality, aftermarket, high-flow cat for his car (x2 if you have 2). And he could have prevented any damage to the cat if he didn't run his car with a bad MAF (99% of the time, this is what destroys the cat in VW's).

VW's aren't like Toyotas, if you neglect them, they will bite you, but with a little preventative maintenance, they will last just as long.

wordmunger
Aug 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah and if he didn't get his car serviced at the stealership, he'd realize that for $250, he could buy and install a stainless steel, higher than OEM quality, aftermarket, high-flow cat for his car (x2 if you have 2). And he could have prevented any damage to the cat if he didn't run his car with a bad MAF (99% of the time, this is what destroys the cat in VW's).

VW's aren't like Toyotas, if you neglect them, they will bite you, but with a little preventative maintenance, they will last just as long.

Some of us prefer not to devote our lives to car maintenance. Maybe that makes us not "VW" people. But that's also what makes me a Mac person -- I don't enjoy maintaining my computer either.

Much Ado
Aug 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
I hope you realize that American cars are among the best quality cars you can find.

Once again we are fed this sort of rubbish. American cars only work as muscle cars, let's be honest, and Jaguar is a British company.

Although I do admit I would look at Japanese cars before I even think about buying a European Car (sorry but its true).

You'd rather rive a mass-produced refrigerator on wheels than a performance European car with at least an element of personality?

veneficuss
Aug 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
Whoa! Chrysler does not own Mercedes, Mercedes bought them, lost money and sold them to a private firm here in the past few months. Let's not get too crazy with who owns who now.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/FREE/70803012/1024

.. Top of quality listing is Lexus and Buick, and they tied for reliability. Yes, I typed Buick and that's an American company. Granted at the same time you should since you've made the same exact car for close to two decades now. If you can't get it right by now, then you should give up.

HAHAHA That was really funny, mostly because it is accurate. If Apple actually did design all of the entertainment electronics in a car, I would actually think about buying that car, even if it was German. Imagine having to synch you car up to iTunes? Apple just needs to get their GPS software to be the best and I would be hooked. I am convinced that this is a great way for Apple to go, I just hope it is not with VW. The only German car I would ever own is a BMW 5 or 6 series, I am very loyal to Infiniti and Lexus. Bottom line is Apple will go with whoever gives them the best deal, and they are very anxious to become more popular in the EU, and VW might give them that.

slicecom
Aug 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
Some of us prefer not to devote our lives to car maintenance. Maybe that makes us not "VW" people. But that's also what makes me a Mac person -- I don't enjoy maintaining my computer either.

Yep I hear ya. In my opinion VW's are not point A to point B vehicles; they are enthusiast cars that require religious maintenance. Many people buy them and treat them like they're Toyota's, and that’s where their bad reputation comes from.

VW's come with so many little touches that other car manufacturers just don't do, for example, one of my favorite ones is that ALL of the windows are auto down. Press the button normally and it rolls down until you stop, press the button a little harder and it will roll all the way down, this works for rolling them up too. It’s such a small thing, and one would have to be insane to buy a car for that feature, but that kind of attention to detail is present in every aspect of the car. Some other companies have this feature for the drivers side window, some don't have it at all, but it's that kind of attention to detail that makes me love VW's, and I love Mac's for the same reason. I love how everything about the interface is so refined and right where it should be. Both Mac's and VW's have the best aesthetics in their respective markets.

timnosenzo
Aug 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
The killer was the most recent one: the check engine light came on, and the repair shop says it's a $2500 replacement of the catalytic converters.
You're mechanic is raping you. Here's a catalytic converter for that car that costs $295.00: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpart.asp?partnum=253.167T
Not sure where he's coming up with the extra $2200.00

Even if he wanted to replace the entire exhaust as well, from the cat back, here's one for $235: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpart.asp?partnum=253.415

I realize these are aftermarket parts, but no way he should be quoting you 5x that amount.

queshy
Aug 29, 2007, 01:52 PM
The iCar will be electric...and charge via magsafe! The initial magsafe adapters will have defects and will melt away, and the battery inside the iCar will swell. The windshield will have a yellow tint, and opening the door summons the "Apple" chime we are greeted with upon starting OS X.

lol, jks. this seems like an exciting research project. MWSF 08, anyone?

blitzkrieg79
Aug 29, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hmmmmmm, it looks like Apple is late to the party by about 2 years :p iCar has been on the market for almost 2 years now and it's made by Mitsubishi and the car is actually a great design for what it is ( http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/i/index.html ).

Mitsubishi actually has released a special iCar iPod edition, http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9597/ , with a nice built in slot for iPod Nanos.

As far as Apple supposedly collaborating with Jaguar on XF, I say, Apple please stick to the electronics because you still have a long way to go in car industry :p

And as far as Apples partnership with VW, jeeezzzzz, anybody, ANYBODY but VW please. Reliability is not their strong suit which would be a bad partner for a newcomer.

amusiccale
Aug 29, 2007, 01:53 PM
Please tell me that someone else immediately thought of Eicar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file).

hottyson
Aug 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
I just checked out the iCar. It is basically the same as a regular Volkswagen car except that the battery is not user replaceable. You have to send the iCar to Apple to replace the battery after 300 charges.
;)

bananas
Aug 29, 2007, 01:58 PM
Apple makes nice devices and VW makes nice cars. So this is good news.
It's good to see Apple making business with car manufacturers. it doesn't matter which car manufacturer it is, there will be more.

kddpop
Aug 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
how bout this (http://linux.duke.edu/~icon/pictures/icar.jpg)one?

Darkroom
Aug 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
http://www.jolly-roger.co.uk/Jolly%20Roger%20Website/Apple%20Car.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/41/97403789_6784d3d7c6_m.jpg

surferfromuk
Aug 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
Ego he has - rude and offensive he maybe, but worlds greatest automotive journalist he most definitely is...

Jeremy Clarkson - American Cars Vs European Cars!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGKOvHtT6k

N.J.
Aug 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
Also... (if you consider racing as proof) If you look at Le Mans Series racing Standings for 2007 you will find that the 2 leading cars are American cars; Saleen S7-R & Corvette C6.R. The S7-R also holds the single lap record at Le Mans. Also... the C5.R/C6.R has won 5 out of the last 6 races at Le Mans (A freaking 24 hour race!!! If thats not a display of quality I dont know what is)

Ya i consider racing proof. Or even better an race with an endurance aspect.
Ever heard of the Audi TDI R10?
http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/experience/motorsport_events/Audi_R10_TDI/Audi_at_Le_Mans.html

Much Ado
Aug 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
Ego he has - rude and offensive he maybe, but worlds greatest automotive journalist he most definitely is...

Jeremy Clarkson - American Cars Vs European Cars!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGKOvHtT6k

God bless that man. The world would be a happier place with more Top Gear...

rcread
Aug 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
I wonder what kind of mods I can do to an iCar. First thing would be to lose the little VW engine and replace it with a Chevy 632. Low compression, so I can add a blower. Get rid of the cat and muffler. Ford 9" rear end (RWD would be a must). And then an Apple sticker in the rear window for that extra ooomph. I can see this puppy running 8s.

officerdick
Aug 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Think of two major design icons from both company's

the t1
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg
and the iPod.

Think of a new T1, Beatles iPod Edition :p

padmasana
Aug 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
Man, some of you guys are vicious.
If you're happy with the brand you drive, great, but why get all pouty and superior about other people's choices?
I'm happy with my Jetta. For the fun that it is to drive, the few repairs I've had to make have been an easy tradeoff. I had Porsches for decades, too, so I wasn't going to settle for a car with dull response to driver input.
I gotta say, I've seen more Apple stickers on VWs than any other make.

wnurse
Aug 29, 2007, 02:14 PM

Actually, 2000 Passats has had problems.. read Consumer Reports. One of the worst cars ever built. Maybe the new passats are better?.. don't know but i sure wouldn't spend money to find out

CJD2112
Aug 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
I'd recommend a Toyota.. I payed $27,000 for an Acura and while it was beautiful and easy to maintain.. it rattled like a freaking chandelier!

My 96 toyota 4x5 truck with 186,000 miles still doesn't sound as noisey as that 2004 TSX with 20,000 miles.

Buy Toyota.

As for the whole iCar thing.. I'm kind of getting iTired of this iS**t.

I got an Infiniti FX45, 2005 year, but I regret it, not because it's a bad car, but because since 2006 Infiniti revamped their interior line and it's SO much better. Gone are the plasticky materials and in replace are polished chrome and aluminum, maple and other wood grains and better ergonomics. I've owned BMW's, Lexsuses (or Lexi? lol), and Range Rovers, but I've yet to have any problems with my Infiniti, I highly recommend to any one looking for a new vehicle to check out the new G series, not crazy expensive and the car has balls!

Man, some of you guys are vicious.
If you're happy with the brand you drive, great, but why get all pouty and superior about other people's choices?
I'm happy with my Jetta. For the fun that it is to drive, the few repairs I've had to make have been an easy tradeoff. I had Porsches for decades, too, so I wasn't going to settle for a car with dull response to driver input.
I gotta say, I've seen more Apple stickers on VWs than any other make.

You know, I'm surprised to read and hear about VW's being 50/50. My Uncle owns a car dealership, we sell everything from Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Land Rover, Nissan, VW, Toyota, etc. and before I bought my Infiniti I actually wanted a VW Tourag or loaded Jetta. They talked me out of it, and I went higher and got a lease on an Infiniti, although I really like the VW line (heck, they even sell a $60,000 VW now, the Phaentom or something). I was disappointed to learn of their spotty service record :(.

Much Ado
Aug 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the Phaeton is really nice, although i still prefer the C6 for the definition of luxury saloon.

There's way too much VW hate here. They are a strong, healthy European brand with many influential branches such as Audi. This news can only be good and i look forward to seeing where it goes.

wordmunger
Aug 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
You're mechanic is raping you. Here's a catalytic converter for that car that costs $295.00: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpart.asp?partnum=253.167T
Not sure where he's coming up with the extra $2200.00

Even if he wanted to replace the entire exhaust as well, from the cat back, here's one for $235: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpart.asp?partnum=253.415

I realize these are aftermarket parts, but no way he should be quoting you 5x that amount.

I have the V6, not the 1.8 turbo. And don't forget that two are necessary. Some quick searching reveals aftermarket prices closer to $400 apiece (both of them need replacing). I imagine the mechanic is getting the parts direct from VW, so that's going to be a higher cost. As others have suggested, it's recommended that the MAF be replaced in this repair as well, which adds to the cost. But whatever... with labor, it's going to be at least $1,000, probably more, and I'm sick of this stuff.

Unspeaked
Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
For those of you denying VW is the Apple of automakers - you're living in a bubble!

I'm not a huge VW fan myself, and I'm sure that there's Mac users that dislike the other four, but whether you like it or not, Apple, The Gap, VW, Starbucks and Nintendo (and maybe JetBlue) are all in the same branch of the corporate branding/marketing tree.

In the minds of most people, all us Mac users park our Jettas in the airport lot, grab the next flight to San Francisco on JetBlue and pass the time alternating between our Nintendo DS and iPod while wearing our latest Gap kakis, all the while looking forward to our first glimpse of Starbucks when we land...

I hate to say it, but that's life.

(And Toyota is SO the Sony of automakers!)

tuckerja
Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
The car has to be brushed aluminum with the Mac Pro housing holes placed at the grill. Also the emblem should be the apple logo with the VW logo within the apple. The onboard computing system should take care of the speedometer, odometer, etc.; as well as have a built in 3G wireless card for internet and phone and a GPS system for maps. There will of course be WiFi and bluetooth 2.0 so that you can sync your home computer or laptop to the onboard computer and get all your music and contacts. I think that the whole computer should run off of voice command so that you don't have to take your eyes off the rode. Also, it should be a hybrid so as to keep with the greener apple idea.

CJD2112
Aug 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
For those of you denying VW is the Apple of automakers - you're living in a bubble!

I'm not a huge VW fan myself, and I'm sure that there's Mac users that dislike the other four, but whether you like it or not, Apple, The Gap, VW, Starbucks and Nintendo (and maybe JetBlue) are all in the same branch of the corporate branding/marketing tree.

In the minds of most people, all us Mac users park our Jettas in the airport lot, grab the next flight to San Francisco on JetBlue and pass the time alternating between our Nintendo DS and iPod while wearing our latest Gap kakis, all the while looking forward to our first glimpse of Starbucks when we land...

LOL Wow, so on point, although I'm more Banana Republic than Gap (used to be a "Banana Bitch" in the 90's - "Just synch it" lol), and more Rock and Republic jeans than khaki's, but yeah, we are a Corp. world. When we start labeling things in our lives as "That's so Pottery Barn, or that's so Armani", you know we've crossed the point of no return...

About Jetblue, I fly it every trip back to NYC, but I've read about Virgin America, and how they're cheaper and that they've incorporated a lot of iPod-esque connections and usage into their cabins. My next flight out west, I'm booking my tickets. Any one flown them yet?

The car has to be brushed aluminum with the Mac Pro housing holes placed at the grill. Also the emblem should be the apple logo with the VW logo within the apple. The onboard computing system should take care of the speedometer, odometer, etc.; as well as have a built in 3G wireless card for internet and phone and a GPS system for maps. There will of course be WiFi and bluetooth 2.0 so that you can sync your home computer or laptop to the onboard computer and get all your music and contacts. I think that the whole computer should run off of voice command so that you don't have to take your eyes off the rode. Also, it should be a hybrid so as to keep with the greener apple idea.

God, as awesome as that sounds, it makes me wonder if we're almost "too connected" to electronics and the internet. All that in one car would make my head spin, and would likely cause this blonde boy to have a few "accidents" while playing with the equipment lol.

mike3k
Aug 29, 2007, 02:43 PM

The Prius is the most Mac-like car. You start it by pressing a single button (I have the smart key system, so I don't even have to take the 'key' out of my pocket) and it has a touch screen for all audio, climate control, and other functions. It just needs full iPod integration, so the steering wheel controls and touch screen can control the iPod.

quigleybc
Aug 29, 2007, 02:56 PM
I wonder if this will be only available in the US and A like the ***** iPhone.

In other words, I wonder if I will be tortured by not being 'allowed' to purchase another Apple product and get full functionality.

gnasher729
Aug 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
Chrysler owns Mercedes. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Don't believe you. Looked it up. DaimlerChrysler (I hope you realise it is DaimlerChrysler, not ChryslerDaimler) just sold most of Chrysler to the Cerberus Capital Management group, keeping an 18.9% interest. I guess Chrysler will be dropped from the name soon.

MM2270
Aug 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
Will the iCar fly? Or travel through time? Or how about just drive for me while I take a nap?
If not, I'm not interested. ;)

Papajohn56
Aug 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
Really? I disagree. Automobile makers that fit this stereotype, to me, are Saab and Volvo.

VW to me is young/broke ones, and they later move up to Volvo, Lexus etc

lilj4425
Aug 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.cu-icar.com This is ICAR. Involves BMW too. :p

rubeeen
Aug 29, 2007, 03:40 PM

lol talk about paying premium over premium.

tihs isnt the first colaboration apples had with vw

they used to run a promo with the beetle

buy a beetle get a free ipod.

aardwolf
Aug 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
I can see it now... the iCar runs only on Apple-provided iGas. It drives itself, but it only drives between your house and the local Apple store. It is voice-activated, but it only responds to people wearing black mock turtlenecks. Oh, and it will be obsolete in 18 months, so be prepared to upgrade to the latest version. :-)

milo
Aug 29, 2007, 03:50 PM
My god, what awful news.

VW's cars have been HORRIBLE for the past few years. I can't urge you strongly enough NOT to buy a Volkswagen. Ours has had a huge number of failures, unfortunately just shy of our state's (sadly weak) lemon law. Many days in the shop, many problems in the first year and beyond ranging from multiple severe engine problems to a dead radio to bad seatbelt, door handle, cracked windshield (the dealer's fault), loud annoying noises in the car from bad assembly, and more. We ended up in court over it but sadly we couldn't get them to take the car back.

Even the basics like windshield wiper refils and antifreeze are non-standard and must be bought from a dealer.

Yes, you read that right.

ANTIFREEZE is not available at regular auto supply stores.

I can't make this point strongly enough:

DO NOT BUY A VW.

It will be the biggest regret of your life. Stay far far far away.

swingerofbirch
Aug 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
Unless something drastically changes in the market, I wouldn't buy a car other than a Honda or Toyota. Just based on our family having had them for decades, they are amazing cars and for some magical reason just don't seem to have problems like the Ford cars we have had (can't compare to GMC as we have never had one).

milo
Aug 29, 2007, 04:10 PM

Nope, it's a problem with the car. The problem with VW's is that since they use so many proprietary parts, most mechanics won't even work on them so they have to go to the dealer. There are even many oil change places that won't do VW's since they use different filters than anybody else. It just isn't worth it for them to stock the parts for one company. So you're stuck going to the dealer for many things you'd ordinarily be able to get much cheaper elsewhere.

Who cares how fast it is if it breaks down? Don't get me wrong, VW has some ideas that seem cool, and their design is nice. But their stuff has been notoriously unreliable for close to a decade now.

And for the record VW technology does not suck, you are just uninformed. Like others have said, umm, Bugatti? Audi R8? LED headlights? Oh yeah, what about the DSG? Ever heard of those before? Revolutionizing transmissions? Bringing F1 transmission systems into consumer cars?

It's telling that you're trying to defend VW by listing cars that aren't VWs. You think Bugatti means a damn thing to the VW owner stuck with a huge repair bill?

Papajohn56
Aug 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.cu-icar.com This is ICAR. Involves BMW too. :p

Hey, I go to Clemson

lilj4425
Aug 29, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hey, I go to Clemson

I go to Tri-County Tech right next to Clemson and am taking a transfer program for there. :cool:

swindmill
Aug 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
Who cares how fast it is if it breaks down? Don't get me wrong, VW has some ideas that seem cool, and their design is nice. But their stuff has been notoriously unreliable for close to a decade now.

I've owned 2 VW's and neither has had an uncommon number of problems. My current '01 Jetta was purchased in 2003 with 75,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had in just under 5 years is a bad mass air meter, which cost me $50 to replace. You can get unlucky with any car.

jephrey
Aug 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
Does anyone in here agree with me that the best thing for Apple is to get their iWhatever integrated into as many automobiles as they can? Currently, simple audio hookup has been made available through many car companies (although usually through an 1/8" jack in the stereo). I would think that the iCar may just be better connectivity off the bat, meaning that you'd acutally dock your pod in your car, control it with the stereo controls (whether that be on the stereo itself or on your wheel), and you'd get visual feedback through another screen... Or maybe you even dock your iWhatever where a stereo would typically be, and use it to tune to a station or play music. Secondly, and not because it's VW, the only thing that would make this bad is if they said that for the next 2 years they will partner with only VW. If VW takes the lead in offering these things, then so be it. I personally don't have any issue with VW (or any of the gay guys that drive them ;) ). I actually think that they and Nissan have done a pretty good job getting some kind of connectivity to the lower-end car buyers.

flame on.

J

walangij
Aug 29, 2007, 04:31 PM
It's telling that you're trying to defend VW by listing cars that aren't VWs. You think Bugatti means a damn thing to the VW owner stuck with a huge repair bill?

Sorry, by VW I mean VAG aka Volkswagen Auto Group. The R&D is shared between all companies, DSG is shared, LED headlights are shared, Bugatti's powerplant is a Volkswagen engine. Yeah and a VW owner stuck with should be aware when they purchase that their repair bills will be more that domestic or asian cars.

Papajohn56
Aug 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
I go to Tri-County Tech right next to Clemson and am taking a transfer program for there. :cool:

Bridge student? I've heard some stories.

zarzch
Aug 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
tihs isnt the first colaboration apples had with vw

they used to run a promo with the beetle

buy a beetle get a free ipod.

Hey, that reminds me, I bought a Beetle when they were running that free ipod promotion. Four years later, my Beetle is still a beautiful car that has been largely trouble-free while the ipod, with its flakey and clunky pre-clickwheel interface, looks pretty dumb and sits unused.

So which company is going to be benefit from this collaboration again?

craigverse
Aug 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrright... thats why they're europe's largest auto manufacturer, and the 3rd or 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world. :rolleyes:

Maybe there's just a LOT of woman and gay men who buy cars. Not everyone can have a lifted ford something or other pos/ :)

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
The repairs aren't cheap, that is correct compared to some but not all domestic and asian cars. From experience you would be surprised that new brakes and rotors on a Jetta is actually cheaper then on a Ford Focus when you go to a dealership. Although, if you're going to buy a european car or a "upscale" asian or domestic be prepared for costly repairs. If you don't plan for that, then you're just as bad as someone who gets pissed about something when it's in a manual or you plan a class action lawsuit because you think it's unfair that the iPhone is locked for use with only AT&T.

Slicecom, nice pics of your VW. Too bad my mods aren't complete, but that is what this weekend is for.

Plutonius
Aug 29, 2007, 04:52 PM

Agreed....

My cars have always been VWs but any future cars I get will not be a VW. If you are considering getting a VW, don't.

ddrueckhammer
Aug 29, 2007, 04:59 PM
This is interesting but if true I hope Apple does the electrical design of the car and not VW.

My girlfriend had a 2001 Beetle that had major electrical problems the entire time she had it which got progressively worse as time went on. We could never get it fixed and eventually had to trade it in because nothing electrical worked and it beeped constantly when you drove it.

We tried to get VW to fix it when it was under warranty but I suspect that the mechanics just reset the engine codes every time and a week later we would be back in the same predicament. After the car went out of warranty, they then wanted to charge $5,000 to rewire the car (it was only worth $8500 at the time).

The final straw was the air conditioner going out (she could live with constant beeping and gauges, warning lights etc. not working but she couldn't live with the stifling Florida Summer heat), she traded for a 2007 Mini Cooper and I have to say that the quality level on that car is far better (at least on the surface) than the Beetle. Of course, it is made by BMW and their excellent warranty coverage played no small part in her decision to buy it.

It may be she just got a bad Beetle, but the car had low quality overall as the paint on the inside plastic parts all started peeling after a couple of years as well.

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
I might consider an asian car again if they can figure out that I want to feel the power get to the wheels, and work on some other items. Asian cars rely too much on high revs in order to get moving, while european cars rely on good ol' fashion torque. Accord, there's no power until you get into high revs, same thing with majority Nissans and Toyotas. It's nice to have power from the start and throughout the power-band.

ddrueckhammer, the other problem is I think there are a good portion of mechanics at VW that don't know their own cars. That's why I ask for the shop foreman to fix mine, plus it's good to have your friend as a Service Advisor. Then you know at least some donkey won't be working on your car, and it'll get fixed right the first time.

Plutonius
Aug 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
I've owned 2 VW's and neither has had an uncommon number of problems. My current '01 Jetta was purchased in 2003 with 75,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had in just under 5 years is a bad mass air meter, which cost me $50 to replace. You can get unlucky with any car.

Do a forum search on VW and you will find out that up until 2000 or so, most people loved them. After that time, most people were not happy with them. Your 2001 is not representative of the problems with the current VWs. Do a search on VWs and (engine coils, cv joints, air conditioning, electrical, and windows) to see a sample of the chronic problem VW owners have been having lately.

MacRumors also has some long VW threads.

CJD2112
Aug 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
I love how this post has brought out all the macho types, comparing cars and engine sizes (over compensation maybe? lol).

In the end, as automobiles are one of the biggest contributors to green house gases, instead of moaning about engines not "feeling" the road or which car has the fastest engine, how about alternative energy sources to keep the planet alive enough for all the automobile enthusiasts to gloat over their cars :rolleyes: . All this R&D in making cars faster is NOT what we need.

CLuv
Aug 29, 2007, 05:21 PM
Ha, it's just like comparing computer specs, we all do it. If someone compares their laptop to another, will that be considered overcompensation?

Granted, they do affect the environment, but until the car industry is released from the choke hold of the oil industry that's the way it will be for some time. Plus, I would rather have a turbo diesel over a hybrid.

kbrain2929
Aug 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
The Store already has accessories...

"This dock also contains spaces for your iPhone, iPod, and the Apple Bluetooth Headset. This is just what you need for your iDriveway and iGarage. All together... you get iHouse." :p All your missing is iJobs. (No, not virtual Steve Jobs, though cool, not what I'm talking about.) :apple:

Evangelion
Aug 29, 2007, 05:28 PM

over here in europe, vag's have pretty good quality. the golf for example went through 60.000 test-run without a single fault, and that's something toyota (for example) has never achieved. of course, vw's sold here are made in europe, whereas american vw's are made in mexico...

Zwhaler
Aug 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
is this actually referring to a car or simply an integrated computer system for your car?

That's what I am wondering, because in the story there were references to both.

irun5k
Aug 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Terrific, now we'll get to hear anecdotal stories for the next several months about how "my grandma bought a VW and it broke down and she had to walk a long ways and she had a heat stroke and VW killed my grandma VW sux!"

These will go along nicely with the anecdotal posts like "ATT sux cause they ripped me off and there service never worked good anyhow but now I have verizon and they kick butt my bill is free most months and my skin is less oily with verizon"

I, for one, welcome our new AT&T subscribing, VW driving iDevice owners.

Frixo Cool
Aug 29, 2007, 06:04 PM
OMG, not the crapy VW... :( Such a low quality car with such a bad image... I hope it's not because of Steve's old hippy VW van...

Very disappointed! :(

gifford
Aug 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
If there is any substance to this rumor I expect it will be a proof of concept car to demonstrate Apple technologies, a publicity stunt, or at most limited run car like the Mclaren F1.

I seriously doubt a mass market car, but I wouldnt be surprised if we see something appear.

Yixian
Aug 29, 2007, 06:26 PM
VW? :( Renault please.

weckart
Aug 29, 2007, 06:28 PM
Oh dear, it seems that VW does not enjoy the best reputation in the US.

So different from Europe.

I don't care either way. I'm holding out for the iHouse.

gifford
Aug 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
Apple (as usual) will listen to what their customers want in an iCar. I want...

a) My car to drive me home when I am drunk.
b) The rectangular space where the car stereo once sat, to be replaced by a mini microwave for warming up pies/pasties 'on the move'.
Also doubles as a cooler for cans of Apple branded cola (iCola).
c) Everlasting tires (a joint project with Wonka).
d) Fueled by something we have lots of.... The Germans have sorted our energy needs, see link below...
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38234

chelsel
Aug 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
I think the iDeLorean would have been better... brushed stainless to boot!

Hummer
Aug 29, 2007, 06:47 PM
There goes Apple again innovating the way we do stuff.

All the insurance warranty I need:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7947/foricarcn5.png

DakotaGuy
Aug 29, 2007, 06:49 PM
Granted not many on here like American products and even less like Microsoft, but this system is going to be available on most Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles starting this fall. It will be a $395 option and is available with or without a navigation system.
Ford Sync
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUiJaIlLRg&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvpGbxn7Tc

Anyhow I have a late model Ford and am completely happy with it. This is a pretty cool system and much more advanced then anything on the market right now.

irun5k
Aug 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
Maybe they'll use the new Scirocco as the platform for this?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0611_z+2008_volkswagen_scirocco+front.jpg

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0611_2008_volkswagen_scirocco/photo_01.html

mrrory
Aug 29, 2007, 07:07 PM

Couldn't agree more... Add to that Dyson Vacuum Cleaner owners... Hmm, iSuck, perhaps not the best name for a Dyson collaboration though. :)

CJD2112
Aug 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
Granted not many on here like American products and even less like Microsoft, but this system is going to be available on most Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles starting this fall. It will be a $395 option and is available with or without a navigation system.
Ford Sync
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUiJaIlLRg&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvpGbxn7Tc

Anyhow I have a late model Ford and am completely happy with it. This is a pretty cool system and much more advanced then anything on the market right now.

So, besides the audible text messaging, it pretty much does what my Infiniti does already. Hands free bluetooth, syncing address book with navigation system, iPod docks directly into my system. I would like to have voice activated iPod navigation though. That's pretty sweet.

Wild-Bill
Aug 29, 2007, 07:31 PM
Apple (as usual) will listen to what their customers want in an iCar. I want...

Uhh........... no they won't.

Apple will listen to what Steve Jobs wants, which is what "he" thinks the customers want. Didn't you know that????

Anything you get from Apple is because it is what Steve thinks you want/need, not what you really need.

Mac Pro's don't need new video cards, do they??? Of course not. Steve thinks the current offerings are just fine. Have customers been knocking on Apple's door for a $999 RAID card??? No. Steve thinks we need one.

Did customers ask Apple to strip iMovie of all its functionality??? No. Steve thinks that's all you need.

TraceyS/FL
Aug 29, 2007, 07:43 PM
Gosh i'd love to have my 01 Jetta 1.8t 5-spd back. Loved the car... it loved me....

Darn 3rd kid!

I drive a 05 Odyssey these days..... reliable, "cheap" to maintain, no Aux port for my iPod, great Nav, boring as hell to drive.

My VW dealer was the cheapest place in town to get service too. I'd buy another one - but dang, how am i going to get Service in FL from my CA dealer??? :D

Can't wait to see what this brings!

shalghamz
Aug 29, 2007, 07:51 PM

Where on Earth did you get this information? Audi is in the middle of its second renaissance of motoring.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Audi-A5-3.0-TDI-Quattro/226663/

^~^~^ Shalghamz

Abstract
Aug 29, 2007, 08:20 PM
i'd like to see the photoshop mockups of this one.

"How do I unlock the doors?"

"Place 2 fingers on the door and slide your fingers across."

aperture01
Aug 29, 2007, 09:03 PM
What come on! VW's kick ass. Every car i've owned has been a VW, which is only two hah but anyway. And they are by far the most apple oriented car than any other brand.

For some reason I've always thought they went together. They both totally have that young appeal to them. And as for reliability every car has problems, it's the same as with cell phone companies, VW has had a poor track record in the past but have you seen there current offerings! Compare a jetta with a civic, or a corolla. It's a much nicer car than both of those. I have 20,000 miles on my 2005 GTI and it runs great. I've had a couple things break but they've been minor and were fixed immiedietly. My mom owns a mazda and had her check engine light on forever, and my dad has a ford where the damn gas cap door stays open that was eventually fixed. These are all brand new cars that things happened to. You can get a lemon from any manufacturer.

Get over it people, if anything Apple seems to play with like companies. ATT or Cingular when they were them, was a likely choice for the iPhone, they always had the coolest phones and the youngest image about them. VW is the same way. BMW's are sweet cars but they are hardly as interesting as a VW. Yeah so what you got a beamer, they have there problems too. They had a huge overheating issue several years back. Have you ever heard of an r32 it whooped the crap out of a BMW 130i in a race. Have you heard of a DSG transmission it's way better than BMW's SMG transmission, it's been quantitatively proven that its faster.

The other thing is that most mac owners I know drive VW's. So it just makes sense.

It's so funny that these two companies are collaborating because I've always thought of them in the same light, i'll be excited to see what they come up with. I think all of my friends even saw that my purchases are with like companies.

So go drive you bland old honda civic if you want.

And I like hondas, but i don't think they are as nice as VW's.

rubeeen
Aug 29, 2007, 09:08 PM
I hope you realize that American cars are among the best quality cars you can find. And you do realize that Toyota trucks are made here in America as well. And you do realize that Ford owns Jaguar, owned Aston Martin up until only a few months ago, Volvo, 1/3 of Mazda, Land Rover and a few others. Chrysler owns Mercedes. Don't believe me? Look it up. And speaking of Japanese cars... The only company I would ever buy from is Toyota/Lexus.

Although I do admit I would look at Japanese cars before I even think about buying a European Car (sorry but its true)
i believe volvo will soon be up for sale and will probably be purchased by bmw
saying they own jaguar isnt really saying much, since it has some of the worst resale values on the market

and yes, your american car may be faster, but european cars tend to be more inovative, and dont just look good on the outside.

just because an american car company owns shares of a european company, doesnt make them a better brand to buy. they share platforms from time to time but thats about as far as that goes.
just my .02

chelsel
Aug 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
What's next, Apple & Starbucks... geesh... is the whole world going yuppie :-)

coffey7
Aug 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
Volkswagens are one of the worst cars you can buy now. In the US they are at the bottom of the reliablity list. I would not want to have anything to do with them. Why not work with Honda instead.

p.s my American made cars have lasted many miles over 200,000 and have never had any problems with any of them. My Honda civic is the same.

twoodcc
Aug 29, 2007, 10:01 PM
would love to see an "iCar". hopefully whatever it is won't just be for Volkswagen though

Hummer
Aug 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
Volkswagens are one of the worst cars you can buy now. In the US they are at the bottom of the reliablity list. I would not want to have anything to do with them. Why not work with Honda instead.

p.s my American made cars have lasted many miles over 200,000 and have never had any problems with any of them. My Honda civic is the same.

Honda isn't trendy though. Volkswagen or any German car maker for that matter is trendy.

Papajohn56
Aug 30, 2007, 12:09 AM
In the end, as automobiles are one of the biggest contributors to green house gases, instead of moaning about engines not "feeling" the road or which car has the fastest engine, how about alternative energy sources to keep the planet alive enough for all the automobile enthusiasts to gloat over their cars :rolleyes: . All this R&D in making cars faster is NOT what we need.

Cars still don't put out as much greenhouse gas as cattle does, and plus, cars today are both able to be much faster and much cleaner than the cars of the past. You couldn't buy your Lamborghini in California if it didn't fit their emissions laws.

Computer enthusiasts and gadget enthusiasts use a lot of electricity, and aside from solar panels, they don't have a lot of say in the type of power that is delivered to their house (and don't get me started on carbon credits, because those are a scam)

jephrey
Aug 30, 2007, 12:14 AM
There are those that will state personal preference as fact.

Let's stick to the facts here. The only thing we can really state at this time is that my car is better than yours. ;)

J

princigalli
Aug 30, 2007, 01:46 AM
Volkswagen are overvalued. The reality is that their cars are no better than any other European cars, and their service (at least in Europe) sucks.

Some of their German car dealers refuse to provide basic warranty care and have regularly been caught ripping off foreign customers that don't speak German.

German make good high end cars, like BMW. It doesn't mean they always make good cars. Just like some German companies produce excellent stuff while others make crap. You can't always generalize. This is true also for their safety standards. They might be high in some of their cars, but their housing and constructions regulations are very approximative and their food safety standards are very low. Try buying meat in Berlin :-)

So if Apple does anything with VW it would probably go perfectly with their ATT alliance.

Evangelion
Aug 30, 2007, 02:15 AM
Looking at these comments, I can't help but feel how good we have things over here. What do I mean?

a) VW's have generally speaking good quality. Yes, they had some issues in 1997-2003, but those problems are behind them now. And the _perceived_ quality is top-notch. No squeaks or anything like that. They quite simply feel like higher-quality than japanese do for example. Interiors of competing japanese cars feel bland and cheap.

b) While VW's often cost a bit more than their competitors, they are cheap to own. Maintenance-interval is about 50-60.000 kilometers, while japanese need maintenance at around 30.000 kilometers or so

c) The maintenance mentioned in point B? It's pretty cheap, since spare-parts for VW's are cheap

d) VW's last long. Their diesel-cars are routinely driven for 400.000-500.000 kilometers without any problems.

e) VW's are actually designed for humans. I test-sitted a Subaru. No, go. I simply could not adjust the seat and steering-wheel in such way that my knees would NOT be rubbing against the wheel or the middle-console. ANd I have had similar problems with other japanese brands as well. VW? No problems at all.

And I saw someone mention the Prius? Those cars are retarded. So Toyota wanted to build a car with good fuel-economy? So they paired an electric motor with gasoline-engine. And end-result is a compact-car that gets similar mileage as VW Passat TDI does? Well, color me un-impressed. Now, Mercedes and VW are also designing a hybrid-engine. And they are pairing it with a diesel-engine. Now THAT is interesting!

mattydodgy
Aug 30, 2007, 03:51 AM
Wow, Apple is certainly taking over the world's product range aren't they? First the computer market, then the music market, then the phone market and now the automobile market (iCar). Gosh, what ever next? iHouse, where the entire house is made by Apple products, iEnvironmentally friendly heating system, and even iPaint to cover your house walls in a variety of fabulous colours. I can't wait! :p

AppleMatt389
Aug 30, 2007, 04:55 AM
booooooooooooooring. i hate how apple is branching off into all these stupid directions..computers and ipods they do amazingly. phones..they started well..lets see where it goes. but all this other crap..god it makes me annoyed. who needs it? really.

Much Ado
Aug 30, 2007, 05:21 AM
booooooooooooooring. i hate how apple is branching off into all these stupid directions..computers and ipods they do amazingly. phones..they started well..lets see where it goes. but all this other crap..god it makes me annoyed. who needs it? really.

Damn them for not making attractive products for you, even though it's all vaporware or concepts!!!

iBlue
Aug 30, 2007, 05:30 AM
i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ i___ ... iiiit's getting kinda lame.

i™

timnosenzo
Aug 30, 2007, 06:18 AM
Well, everyone here calling the new VWs junk and saying that they're rated among the worst cars are wrong--at least according to Consumer Reports. They're currently rated among the top cars, they have a great safety ratings, the GTI was Motor Trends Car of the Year last year. So stop spreading misinformation.

If this does turn out to be true, it will probably just wind up being a VW with an iPod dock in it or something stupid. Who gives a *****?

Teddy's
Aug 30, 2007, 06:43 AM
So, finally... A car that will never crash.

It just runs
I want to lick it
We get rid of the keys so you sit here and BOOM!!!
You had me at start

:)mmm iCar

theb3freak
Aug 30, 2007, 06:48 AM
VWs offerings as far as fuel efficiency are really lacking compared to Toyota-honda, and dare I say GM.

Yes, the 5-cylinder is a joke. But the TDI gets great mileage. Like 43-46 mpg in REAL WORLD, HARD driving. It is a workhorse with very low CO2 emissions. It has a much greater economic life than a hybrid. Diesels outlast gas engines, plus they don't have the mechanical complexity of a hybrid, plus they don't have an expensive battery to replace. How can you say they are lacking compared to Toyota, Honda, and GM? They are right at the forefront. VW ergonomics are also excellent, and purposeful in real world, long distance driving.

Evangelion
Aug 30, 2007, 08:36 AM
Yes, the 5-cylinder is a joke. But the TDI gets great mileage. Like 43-46 mpg in REAL WORLD, HARD driving. It is a workhorse with very low CO2 emissions. It has a much greater economic life than a hybrid. Diesels outlast gas engines, plus they don't have the mechanical complexity of a hybrid, plus they don't have an expensive battery to replace. How can you say they are lacking compared to Toyota, Honda, and GM? They are right at the forefront. VW ergonomics are also excellent, and purposeful in real world, long distance driving.

Yeah, I really can't understand this talk of VW's being crap at fuel-efficiency. Their diesels are as good as Toyotas state-of-the-art hybrid. Then there's the DSG-gearbox. Usually automatic transmission means higher fuel-consumption when compared to manual, not so with DSG, DSG actually consumes LESS fuel than manual does. Or how about their TSI-engine? 1.4 liter engine with turbocharger AND supercharger. End result is an 1.4 liter engine that produces about as much power as 2.3 liter engine, with diesel-like torque at the low-end and very low fuel-consumption.

milo
Aug 30, 2007, 08:48 AM

You seem to be the exception and not the rule. Be thankful for your good luck and let's hope you're wise enough not buy vw again.

Look online at the thousands of posts from VW users with problems. Look at the horrible ratings in consumer reports and similar publications. Just to be clear, I'm talking about recent VWs, after about 2002 or so. Before that they were actually pretty good cars, but quality went quickly down the toilet after that.

Look at the number of recalls. Ironically enough, the day this rumor appeared, I got yet another recall notice on the passat, I think it's the fourth so far. Yeah, that's a great car.

Yeah and a VW owner stuck with should be aware when they purchase that their repair bills will be more that domestic or asian cars.

And far more often. :eek:

a) VW's have generally speaking good quality. Yes, they had some issues in 1997-2003, but those problems are behind them now. And the _perceived_ quality is top-notch. No squeaks or anything like that. They quite simply feel like higher-quality than japanese do for example. Interiors of competing japanese cars feel bland and cheap.
b) While VW's often cost a bit more than their competitors, they are cheap to own. Maintenance-interval is about 50-60.000 kilometers, while japanese need maintenance at around 30.000 kilometers or so
c) The maintenance mentioned in point B? It's pretty cheap, since spare-parts for VW's are cheap
d) VW's last long. Their diesel-cars are routinely driven for 400.000-500.000 kilometers without any problems.

You're completely out of touch, these may have been true in the past, but this doesn't describe recent VWs at all. Reviews are still bad, as are their sales. They are still perceived as trendy, but their reputation for quality is gone. No squeaks? Are you high? Our passat has squeaked since we got it, and after many attempts they were never able to fix it. Cheap to own? Have you looked at the vw manual and seen what they recommend for maintanance? Tons more than most cars, and many mechanics don't bother working on VWs so you're stuck going to the dealer. Spare parts probably were cheap before, but VW has been using more proprietary parts that nobody else uses. Even basic stuff like wiper blades and the damn antifreeze aren't available at regular auto parts stores. And how many of the cars on the road are diesels? Seriously, you have to resort to talking about their diesels to make a case for them?

timnosenzo
Aug 30, 2007, 09:11 AM
You seem to be the exception and not the rule. Be thankful for your good luck and let's hope you're wise enough not buy vw again.

I must be too (and my family and friends). All of my family has VW's, my wife and I both have problem free 2004 VW's and I have a 90 Corrado with a hair under 200,000 miles thats never had the engine or transmission rebuilt, and is still on the original clutch. Yep, guess we're all exceptions.

Look online at the thousands of posts from VW users with problems. Look at the horrible ratings in consumer reports and similar publications.

If I believed everything I read on the internet, I think I'd be in big trouble. I DEFINITELY wouldn't have bought a MacBook Pro after reading all of the problems people complain about here. Seriously, peek into the MacBook forums here, it SEEMS that 90% of people have problems with theirs. Truth is that people only post when they have problems, not just to say everything is great. I guess I'm the exception there as well, I've owned 2 MBP's and they've both been great.

Guess its time to go count my blessings...

Timothy Flint
Aug 30, 2007, 09:26 AM
A prototype iCar appeared last year. What does it look like? See SmartCar.

magicwardrobe
Aug 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
well i must be an exception to the rule as well, as my vw polo managed 89,000 miles without any major problems at all. And it was a first car, which mean it wasn't exactly treated with much respect for the first couple of years of it's life. i now have a land rover defender which has had many more problems. I know a lot of people's experiences with cars will depend on how they treat them and the state of the roads where they live, but a polo being more reliable than a significantly more expensive off road vehicle, in my opinion is excellent!

Frixo Cool
Aug 30, 2007, 10:03 AM
Oh dear, it seems that VW does not enjoy the best reputation in the US.

So different from Europe.

I don't care either way. I'm holding out for the iHouse.

Different? I just thought that VW has much better reputation in the states. VW here is considered as a vehicle of choice for "zemljaci" - it's hard to translate, but believe me it's nothing good. It's almost an icon in some underdeveloped regions here, very popular, but driven by harsh people with no taste and manners. So, when you see VW here, you just make an extra safety distance from the car as you can expect anything - from breaking the traffic rules with arrogance to a rude or even an agressive act. Very bad image here.

My friend was offered a black VW Passat as a company car recently, and he refused it with disgust. Maybe it's not as bad as a machine, but the image is for many people just not acceptable.

milo
Aug 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
I must be too (and my family and friends). All of my family has VW's, my wife and I both have problem free 2004 VW's and I have a 90 Corrado with a hair under 200,000 miles thats never had the engine or transmission rebuilt, and is still on the original clutch. Yep, guess we're all exceptions.

Read what I said, the old ones were fine, it went down the toilet about 2002 or so. So that's TWO recent ones that have been fine. Huge sample group you have there. Consider yourself lucky, and if you buy another and it's a lemon you should have known better.

as my vw polo managed 89,000 miles without any major problems at all.

And what year was it?

milo
Aug 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
For anyone interested in going beyond anectdotes, here's the link to the JD power quality ratings for car companies. Notice that VW gets an overall rating of two stars out of five, worse than even Kia, Hyundai, Scion and many others.

Looking at individual VW models finds about the same, mechanical quality ratings of 2 with the occasional 2.5.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/quality-ratings

I don't know how anyone can argue that their recent cars have been reliable. If you own one and haven't had any trouble, consider yourself lucky. You're the exception.

Bigtree
Aug 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
https://home.comcast.net/~champtree/icar.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~champtree/icarweb.jpg

Wild-Bill
Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
For anyone interested in going beyond anectdotes, here's the link to the JD power quality ratings for car companies. Notice that VW gets an overall rating of two stars out of five, worse than even Kia, Hyundai, Scion and many others.

JD Power facts FTW !!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks Apple should change their name back to Apple Computer Inc. and shift its focus back to computers? Or am I just talking out loud?

EagerDragon
Aug 30, 2007, 12:09 PM
Hehe,

Nice accessory for my iPod, an iCar

EagerDragon
Aug 30, 2007, 12:14 PM

Maybe, but then again a virtual click wheel may just do the job.

haaz
Aug 30, 2007, 02:23 PM
Seriously. My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbodiesel) is better than my Honda Accord ever was. Here's why.

The Accord was a 2000 LX V6 that had the V6 engine tied to an automatic transmission. Why people do that I'll never understand. And between the V6 and the automatic transmission, its mileage _sucked_. I was lucky to get 25 on the highway.

Fast forward to October 2005. That's when I got the VW Jetta TDI. At first I was a little disappointed with its performance. Although it had a manual (5-speed) transmission, its mileage was not quite up to the 50 MPG I'd heard so many TDI drivers claim. After about 10,000 miles, the mileage started creeping up, especially on the highway. Nowadays if I keep it below 72 MPH and the A/C off, I can get 55 on the highway! Of course it all goes to hell as soon as I resume city driving. ;-) Even then there's things I can do. I've been able to cruise through rush hour traffic without having to more than tap the brake pedal, and if you get out of 1st gear ASAP and keep the engine below 2300 RPM, you'll do better.

But of everything, the thing I love most about my VW TDI is the fact that it can use biodiesel. And I do! It's great. Right now it's got 100% biodiesel in the tank, and it runs smoother and quieter than my Honda ever did. It's definitely still a diesel -- Ich habe mach Torque! -- but it's not nearly as polluting as a diesel car running petrol diesel.

The user talking about problems with his 2000 Passat actually is absolutely right to say he's having nothing but problems. Only recently did Volkswagen turn around the chronic problems all models of their cars had. I think they did it with mine, as I've had no problems. And like I said, it's better with biodiesel.

:: insert taken flamewars/arguments about biodiesel ::

carlgo
Aug 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe they'll use the new Scirocco as the platform for this?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0611_z+2008_volkswagen_scirocco+front.jpg

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0611_2008_volkswagen_scirocco/photo_01.html

Is there even one daily driver orginal Scirocco still on the road? Geez, our local VW dealer was I think the first one in California. He just unloaded the francise. Too many problems with the cars and mad customers. And VW is an arrogant and demanding company that was getting harder for him to deal with.

I would think Apple will work with anyone that pays them, but they should be careful not to be guilty by association.

Evangelion
Aug 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
You're completely out of touch, these may have been true in the past, but this doesn't describe recent VWs at all. Reviews are still bad, as are their sales. They are still perceived as trendy, but their reputation for quality is gone. No squeaks? Are you high?

with all due respect: don't be a dick. my post was obviously meant to show the differences between usa and my country of residence. and everything i said was 100% correct as far as finland is concerned.

Spare parts probably were cheap before, but VW has been using more proprietary parts that nobody else uses. Even basic stuff like wiper blades and the damn antifreeze aren't available at regular auto parts stores

i can get those from the gas-station down the street...

And how many of the cars on the road are diesels? Seriously, you have to resort to talking about their diesels to make a case for them?

iirc, about 40% of all vw's are diesel over here. in case you still realize what i was talking bout, let me spell it out for you: I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT VW'S IN USA! I WAS JUST HIGHLIGHTING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEN USA AND FINLAND.

Marky_Mark
Aug 30, 2007, 05:07 PM
Same in the UK, I'm afraid - Golf TDIs outsell petrol engined models by a factor of 5:1.

I had a 2002 Petrol 1.8T Mk 4 VW Golf GTI for three years and it was solid. Nothing was required except standard variable servicing, and tyres at the right sorts of times. It had no squeaks or rattles after 50,000 miles. I loved it: it was well equipped, comfortable and quiet, looked sharp, ran like a dream and cornered like it was on rails.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2144165#post2144165

Markets are different, and are driven by expectations and culture. Unlike the US, in Europe, people generally drive smaller sized, smaller engined cars, and VWs sell in enormous volumes. Their market perception is as a 'premium' brand compared to their direct market segment competitors GM/Vauxhall and Ford. In common with the other major German brands, Audi (which is now owned by VW anyway) and BMW, they have a reputation for reliability and superior build quality, and they continue to command a resale value to match the market demands, which are high. Also, second hand diesels fetch a higher (+10-15%) resale price than petrol and this is driven in large part, at least in Britain, by the extortionate (80%+) tax element in the price of a litre of fuel. Higher average mileage = lower TCO.

milo
Aug 30, 2007, 05:17 PM
with all due respect: don't be a dick.

With absolutely zero respect, you need to learn the concept of pot/kettle.

Marky_Mark
Aug 30, 2007, 05:39 PM
Jesus, stop with the bull. You might want to consider that in Europe the reputation for US designed and built cars has always been virtually zero. Not declined to zero; just zero. The reasons? Too big, too ugly, too thirsty, too soft, can't corner, crap materials, terrible build quality. Need I go on? Why do your car companies continue to put five litre engines in family cars? How out of tune with world attitudes towards climate change. Why do American cars have fake wood on the outside? It's horrible!

We don't see many Caddies and Buicks over here. Chrysler even had to buy into a Korean manufacturer and relaunch themselves in the UK with the acquired models because their own had such a dire record for reliability and build quality. But I travel to the US regularly and I do see plenty of Audis, Beemers, VWs, Jags, Mercs, Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus over there. I wonder why?

rubeeen
Aug 30, 2007, 06:45 PM

Look online at the thousands of posts from VW users with problems. Look at the horrible ratings in consumer reports and similar publications. Just to be clear, I'm talking about recent VWs, after about 2002 or so. Before that they were actually pretty good cars, but quality went quickly down the toilet after that.

Look at the number of recalls. Ironically enough, the day this rumor appeared, I got yet another recall notice on the passat, I think it's the fourth so far. Yeah, that's a great car.

And far more often. :eek:

You're completely out of touch, these may have been true in the past, but this doesn't describe recent VWs at all. Reviews are still bad, as are their sales. They are still perceived as trendy, but their reputation for quality is gone. No squeaks? Are you high? Our passat has squeaked since we got it, and after many attempts they were never able to fix it. Cheap to own? Have you looked at the vw manual and seen what they recommend for maintanance? Tons more than most cars, and many mechanics don't bother working on VWs so you're stuck going to the dealer. Spare parts probably were cheap before, but VW has been using more proprietary parts that nobody else uses. Even basic stuff like wiper blades and the damn antifreeze aren't available at regular auto parts stores. And how many of the cars on the road are diesels? Seriously, you have to resort to talking about their diesels to make a case for them?

i dont know what these problems are youre speaking of. i own a 2002 gti 1.8t.
the coilpack problem was minor, if yout car didnt start, all you had to do was open the hood and push the coilpack in. it was recalled, but your average driver would much rather throw a fit than research a problem before firing off at dealerships and surveys.
the other problem was the window regulators would break and the window would fall into the door
again, another stupid inconvenience and easily replaced at the dealer
nothing like some ford trucks and nissan altimas catching fire in the middle of parking lots.

oh and if youre giong to the dealership for maintenance, you deserve to get screwed out of your money lol
thers plenty of vw trained techs that run their own shops

and some of the problems in dealerships also happen to be with these stupid kids, that get their car chipped, dont know how to drive, screw up the car, and expect to have a complete engine overhaul under warranty. cant blame the dealer for that.

ps. my cars 113000 miles today, changed the clutch about 5k back, still running on original timing belt [knock on wood]

Detlev
Aug 30, 2007, 07:09 PM

Either I'm not a Mac user or "most people" are clueless. Personally I've never been in a Jetta, a JetBlue, San Francisco, Starbucks or know what a Nintendo DS is and I've never owned a stitch from GAP.

irun5k
Aug 30, 2007, 07:20 PM
Is there even one daily driver orginal Scirocco still on the road?

Occasionally you see one on the road, usually a Scirocco II (16v DOHC engine.) Never in too great of shape though. Which could mean they didn't hold up well enough for anyone to worry about taking good care of them.

There are probably more Corrados floating around though, even though the bulk of them are only a couple years newer than the last Sciroccos imported to the U.S.

There are at least a couple really nice Corrados here on Kauai which is pretty surprising given the relative rareness of the vehicle coupled with the fact that they were never sold here (no VW dealer on island.) It is a car that is of interest to many tuners, presumably because of the ability to squeeze even more performance out of an already well-performing vehicle.

Plus, totally subjective here, but personally I think the Corrado is just a nice looking ride. Of course, I feel the same way about many imported sports cars from the mid-80s to early 90s.

Evangelion
Aug 31, 2007, 01:38 AM
With absolutely zero respect, you need to learn the concept of pot/kettle.

I mean seriously: you completely ignore the point I was making. you went as far to remove that particular part from my post (here's a reminder: "Looking at these comments, I can't help but feel how good we have things over here."), and then took my other comments out of context and said I'm "out of touch" and "high". Seriously: what kind of answer were you expecting?

I'm well aware that for some reason VW has some "issues" in their US-models. And what I said is that they do not have those problem over here. You then proceed to basically say "OMG, you are so wrong because this and this and this!" when you were talking about entirely different thing than I was! I could not care less about your family's Passat, and I don't really care that much about problems VW has in USA. What I DO care about what's the situation over here, and I merely mentioned some examples how things are different here when compared to USA. And everything I said is totally, 100% true.

Next time: when you reply to a message, at least try to understand what the other person is saying.

Frixo Cool
Aug 31, 2007, 09:13 AM
No matter is this rumor true or not, I know for certain one thing - I'll *never* drive a VW. Even if they give it for free, I'll refuse it. To drive a VW in Croatia is just not acceptable as the image of the brand here is awful among educated population. Associations that comes to mind with VW here are nothing to be proud of. I don't say that the cars are that bad (probably mechanicaly more or less the same as other in that price range), but the image of population that drives VW here is so bad that there are jokes about it - notorious "White VW Golf driver" jokes... Only Skoda and Opel may have worse reputation than VW.

Apple, please, please, make a deal with some decent car maker, not VW!

CJD2112
Aug 31, 2007, 10:57 AM
Cars still don't put out as much greenhouse gas as cattle does, and plus, cars today are both able to be much faster and much cleaner than the cars of the past. You couldn't buy your Lamborghini in California if it didn't fit their emissions laws.

Computer enthusiasts and gadget enthusiasts use a lot of electricity, and aside from solar panels, they don't have a lot of say in the type of power that is delivered to their house (and don't get me started on carbon credits, because those are a scam)

First, the limits set on California automobiles aren't nearly stringent enough to make a positive impact on lessening greenhouse emissions. Second, the myth that cattle is the leading cause is ludicrous, there are far more humans who emit more greenhouse gases in this world than cattle, so blaming animals for global warming is about as logical as blaming the sun (another myth the "right" seems bent on distributing). Third, carbon credits are not a scam. Simply put, they allow people to invest money into alternative energy sources. As you correctly stated, there are no other alternatives to conventional energy sources for homes other than local power companies. Carbon credits have gotten bad press from political spin, mostly millions paid by oil companies and their political counterparts/lobbyists, however the concept is to empower a free market for solar, wind and hydro power. People want to make money, so by logic creating investment opportunities in green energy will propel that industry. By determining how much energy a household consumes (along with doing everyone's part to limit energy waste), buying "credits" is simply a way of investing in wind, solar, hydro and other energy sources, with the end result being an established future alternative to current antiquated power companies.

Lastly, hydrogen fuel cell automobiles are already being tested and used through Honda by families in California. Using solar power to harness the hydrogen from water, these vehicles fuel in designated hydrogen stations that do not transfer the harnessing of hydrogen onto conventional power sources, thus staying "green". As of today, these vehicles produced by Honda (and GM, with the thanks of Senator Hillary Clinton in pushing for military vehicles in upstate NY to use strictly hydrogen) are obtaining 400 miles per tank, are just as safe if not safer in combustibility than traditional gasoline and produce only water vapor and/or pure H2O after the chemical reaction between the released hydrogen and oxygen that is naturally occurring in the atmosphere.

The truth is, now with nations such as China becoming the worlds biggest contributor next to the U.S. in the burning of fossil fuels and pollution, automobiles are the biggest contributor to greenhouse emissions coupled with the reality that overpopulation is taxing our natural resources and creating more dilemma's for the future. There are plenty of alternatives to coal and oil, if it were not for the control oil companies currently have the global warming and man's contribution to such would be greatly lessened.

Pick up a few books, read up on the issue, and don't just rely on information from Faux News or even CNN and MSNBC. Keep in mind who controls the media, individuals such as Rupert Murdoch and other billionaire philanthropists with personal vested interest in money making and political ties. Keep in mind the U.S. spent millions to convince American's that global warming is a myth, with this current administration forcing scientists to remain silent, as the current economy is dependent on oil. This administration, as any administration I suppose, wants to keep their numbers up within its current office. If politicians really cared about the people there would be a Pres. that would actively seek out alternative energy sources while ceasing the dependency on gasoline, but that would result in a drop in the current economical growth and stock market during their term. However, as time marches on the economy would surely rebound (as the pendulum often sways) to support a greener economy. It starts with each of us. I replaced all our appliances with new energy star compliant devices, such as dishdrawers that use less water and energy, and front loaded HE washers and dryers. Using timers and yes, even researching and investing in alternative energy sources through carbon credits (I would also like to know how that is a scam, as it has been proven that money invested through carbon credits goes directly to researching and funding alternative energy), is a good start, but not the only solution.

Again, educating oneself on facts and not propaganda is paramount in making a change. It starts with you.

rubeeen
Aug 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
No matter is this rumor true or not, I know for certain one thing - I'll *never* drive a VW. Even if they give it for free, I'll refuse it. To drive a VW in Croatia is just not acceptable as the image of the brand here is awful among educated population. Associations that comes to mind with VW here are nothing to be proud of. I don't say that the cars are that bad (probably mechanicaly more or less the same as other in that price range), but the image of population that drives VW here is so bad that there are jokes about it - notorious "White VW Golf driver" jokes... Only Skoda and Opel may have worse reputation than VW.

Apple, please, please, make a deal with some decent car maker, not VW!

so they're educated but immature?

a little confused here.

haaz
Aug 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
Is there even one daily driver orginal Scirocco still on the road? Geez, our local VW dealer was I think the first one in California. He just unloaded the francise. Too many problems with the cars and mad customers. And VW is an arrogant and demanding company that was getting harder for him to deal with.

I would think Apple will work with anyone that pays them, but they should be careful not to be guilty by association.

Apple? Arrogant and demanding? Never!

queshy
Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe the MacBook Pro page from Apple is foreshadowing something...

Bulldog VII
Sep 1, 2007, 05:08 AM
It wouldn't be the first time that a car manufacturer & retail brand joined forces. The smart car is a co-operation with Swatch watches & Mercedes Benz

Nugget
Sep 1, 2007, 10:30 AM
I've been using a Denison Gateway 500 (http://macnugget.org/carrera/ipodded) iPod interface for my current car and I'm mostly happy. Even if Apple and the automakers don't work together well the aftermarket will close the gap as best as it can. The only real regret I have is that nobody makes user interfaces like Apple. While I may have 90% functionality through the Denison device, it's still through my factory stereo system which is a lesson in bad UI design.

It's enough to see track names on the display and get to my playlists, though, which is more than enough to make me happy.

Frixo Cool
Sep 4, 2007, 09:54 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/bacar/piss-vw.jpg

;-)

fl2ak-eMac
Sep 8, 2007, 04:47 AM
Not to throw a downer to this discussion, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that VW might pull its operations out of North America entirely because of poor business.

That's right. VW might pull out of N. America entirely after 2008.

http://news.windingroad.com/earningsfinancials/are-things-so-bad-at-vw-usa-that-a-pullout-is-being-considered/

Key point from the article:

This was an enormous factor in my decision not to purchase a GTI this year, which I think is a fantastic car. Several of my friends have also reevaluated their purchasing plans because of this, and we're all waiting to see what happens.

I really hope they stay in N. America.

Actually, um VW has just announced that it's moving it's US company HQ from Detroit to Herndon, VA near Washington, DC and that it is looking into opening a vehicle assembly plant somewhere in the southeastern US. There is also a buzz going around that they might bring back a form of the EuroVan to be built under contract by Chrysler Corporation. (talk about a piece of junk)

I just found out about his forum on tdiclub.com (user group for owners of VW diesels) I've owned two VW's (one gas and one diesel) for about six years now and I worked at a VW dealership parts dept for a year. I have to agree, VW cars aren't what they used to be.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place and look forward to learning more about Macs. I love my mac.

Evangelion
Sep 11, 2007, 05:17 AM
Could this (http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2052.shtml) be it? From the article:

On its up! concept car, Volkswagen is presenting some completely new solutions when it comes to operator controls. Klaus Bischoff, Chief Designer for the Volkswagen Brand, comments on this: “Another reason the up! is so fascinating is because everything, every detail, was thought out anew. In the interior we have a touchscreen with new proximity sensor technology for controlling the navigation, radio, trip computer and climate control systems. It is operated absolutely intuitively. As a result, the most complicated functions can be controlled like child’s play.”

The up! has two central displays. In the cockpit, a 8-inch monitor shows the driver key information such as vehicle speed, fuel level and range, as well as momentary CO2 emissions.