Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
According to rumors.com the G5 is a multi-core system, with current CPUs stable at Ghz levels, but they also mentioned (look in archives) that there are 1.8Ghz G5s in vevelopment, but rumors states Apple's release plans for the G5 are 1.2Ghz, now if they have 1.8Ghz Max speed now, I think they can get to 2Ghz by the release (probably end of 2002 for holiday season).

Assuming they are 2Ghz imagine all that power (the G5 is 65% faster per Mhz than existing G4s, so think about a 3.3Ghz G4 Quicksilver's power)

On a side note, notice how the MP800 is stable to 867 easy, and the SP867 is stable to 933 easy? This is a classic Apple stratagy, when they need to cut G4 R&D, they just slowly increase the G4's speed until the next big thing is out, thus one can predict the next G4 motherbord at 1Ghz, after at least 2 more sets of Quicksilver G4s anyways.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you must realize that these are just RUMORS

and by the way, if that G5 starting at 1.2 gHz is true, it makes sense, because that way there is room to upgrade it in the future to sell as many as possible

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
I agree, but I think that 1.2 is a little too reserved, most of the time Apple is good at pushing the envelope, not throttling it down. Maybe a 1.0/1.25/1.5Ghz lineup?

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
C5

The C5 network processor is already in production. I think a G5 we care about is a good year away at least. Keep in mind the G4 is a P3+ competator, thus they operate in the same freq. expect G4s maxing out as 1.13 like the P3 (actually I read the P3 maxes out at 1.0, so my guess is it's running on fumes now. Intel has no real future for low cost CPUs (hehehe))

Michael Macal

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
AZ
G5 IBM vs. G5 IBM/MOTO

IBM originally created a multicore PPC processor after the G4 was introduced. The naming convetion for the next processor generation (G5) was not argreed on between Motorola and IBM and so the multicore processor was referred to as 'G5' by IBM .
The processor itself is in the PPC family (Power) but not a processor that would lend itself to the Mac design. These high-end PPC chips only work in IBM's own servers running *nix. (think of them as the Pentium Pro of the PPC world)

There has never been a multicore 75X processor. Multicore technology is supported and is planned in PPC processors starting at 1Ghz. How many cores and what models are unknown. The ones making there way to Mac getting the name 'G5' should be 1Xcore chips while IBM steals away the good stuff for there new line of Linux PPC computers. - Hopefully there will be a 2X/5Xcore option in the Apple lineup later on.

Links:
Motorola Roadmap
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/technology/tech_overview.jsp?catId=M983989030230

IBM Roadmap
http://www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/rdmap/roadmap_small.jpg

IBM's inspired ATX savior:
http://www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/newsletter/jun2001/tech-feat1.html

Cheers - Michael Macal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.