PDA

View Full Version : VRAM.. why we need more?

mymemory
Aug 11, 2003, 05:21 PM
Ok, I know what VRAM is but, where can I see the benefits of having 64 MB of VRAM?

I'm a VJ, that mean mixing videos in real time with the DJs in the rave parties. I have my 2 Pismos with 8MB of VRAM each, I used a Ti 400 once with the same 8MB but it was way too up thare in performance.

Now, in what I do 16 MB of VRAM would be way too good, specially in Macs. Now, what would be the difference in having 32 or 64 MB in VRAM?

I wonder if in dual screen mode the quicktimes will look better than with 16 MBRAM. I know for games the performance will be better but... haven't we reach the top of the performance already?

After Effects uses regular ram no vram for renderings, so, why people wants more vram?

Well, we want the latest technology but do we need it?

rainman::|:|
Aug 11, 2003, 05:38 PM
I've been wondering much the same thing... Does the OS use the VRAM for other things when it can? I've heard more and more people talk about 64 meg VRAM lately...

pnw

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 05:40 PM
It depends on the application; if just do regular work around the OS, then it doesn't really mean much having 32 or 64 or 128 megs, but if you are playing 3D games and doing things that seriously push the graphics, then you will notice the difference. I played Sim City on my sister's 32 meg GeForce2 and it was terrible, even with effects turned down, but once I played it on a similar system with 64 megs, it suddenly played smoothly. For you, VRAM may not play much of a role in what you do if 8 or 16 is plenty, but there are many people out there who would frown on 64 megs for their own reasons.

NavyIntel007
Aug 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It depends on the application; if just do regular work around the OS, then it doesn't really mean much having 32 or 64 or 128 megs, but if you are playing 3D games and doing things that seriously push the graphics, then you will notice the difference. I played Sim City on my sister's 32 meg GeForce2 and it was terrible, even with effects turned down, but once I played it on a similar system with 64 megs, it suddenly played smoothly. For you, VRAM may not play much of a role in what you do if 8 or 16 is plenty, but there are many people out there who would frown on 64 megs for their own reasons.

SimCity kinda sucks on my 12" powerbook. As soon as those cities start growing large EVERYTHING slows down. Scrolling just about stops, the clocks slow way down, graphics can't keep up. Oh well... still worth playing to me.