PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Mac OS X Server




belf8st
Aug 29, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new xserve soon. Can anybody confirm if Apple has some sort of software assurance policy? I'd hate to purchase the product now with 10.4 server and then have to pay full price for 10.5 down the road. The item I need in particular is the new ical/collaboration features being offered in 10.5.

cf



MisterMe
Aug 29, 2007, 10:17 PM
You may receive the latest OS for the price of shipping if you buy a new computer with the old OS. However, the Window to do this is very narrow--no more than a month.

FF_productions
Aug 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
Can you wait?

It's either Wait, or spend $$ to get Leopard when it comes out.

Also, Xserve should be getting update in the next few months as well so it might be worth it to wait.

Yoursh
Aug 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
Apple does offer the Mac OS X Server Maintenance Program for new Xserves. The program is $999 USD and provides any OS upgrades for 3 years.(Which is also the same price of the retail version of the unlimited client version.) Unless they state otherwise, don't expect any free upgrades before 10.5 is released. If the 10.5 features are very important to you, I would say try and hold off on your purchase.

Edit:Go to the Xserve configuration page in the Apple store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/9414000/wo/mG29DaWmia9H31CYnP22G4c0rPG/2.?p=0) to see your options.

awmazz
Aug 29, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new xserve soon. Can anybody confirm if Apple has some sort of software assurance policy? I'd hate to purchase the product now with 10.4 server and then have to pay full price for 10.5 down the road. The item I need in particular is the new ical/collaboration features being offered in 10.5.

cf

I was looking into this myself for the very same reason and the impression I got from some older disillusioned/angry comments on the Apple store was when 10.4 was released, those who had just bought 10.3 had to pay full price again, ie no upgrade path at all, even if they had just bought the day before 10.4 release. So I assume the same again will happen from 10.4 to 10.5, which makes waiting the best option unless money is no object.

twoodcc
Aug 30, 2007, 07:38 AM
eah, you better wait

SimonTheSoundMa
Aug 31, 2007, 04:42 AM
You could just install any of the iCal servers on the market. Which one will Apple be using in Leopard?