PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Hard Drive Failure Epidemic

papayafish
Aug 29, 2007, 11:10 PM
Here's my story. I purchased my black Macbook new August 2006 with an original 80GB HD. A few months later, I experienced my first failure and lost all my data. The computer started up one morning with a severe clicking sound and a question mark blinking on a manila folder on the start-up screen. Come to about one month ago and the same thing happens. I was on YouTube at the time when my computer suddenly froze up and refused to work. I took it to the Apple Store where I was told the HD was dead and I needed to replace it AGAIN.

I asked the IT people at my high school about their experiences with Macbooks and they said 10/12 have had the exact same failure. Looking at the Apple forums, I've found many people with similar problems...it's funny how the topic on the apple.com forum with the same name as this is locked...no, it's actually really frustrating to me.

I've put in an order for another HD(my one year warranty has expired and no AppleCare=no hope of getting a free replacement) but if this HD fails as well, then I don't know what I'll do. I can't afford to keep replacing HDs every few months.

Another thing, I know it's not the HD itself because many others have had the same issue. I'm pretty sure this is an inherent design flaw in the computer itself which Apple should address.

Any tips/suggestions? What should I do if my HD fails again? Just buy another one or another possibly faulty Macbook? My parents are getting so pissed that they even suggested buying a Thinkpad!!!

Santa Rosa
Aug 30, 2007, 05:40 AM
Either sounds like you are really unlucky or you're a bit rough with your Mac. My flatmates Macbook has never missed a beat and he uses it everywhere, all day, everyday.

The thinkpad isnt a nice thought is it!!!

Hope your luck changes!!! :)

anothermacaddic
Aug 30, 2007, 09:42 AM
I agree your luck with hard drives seems to be bad. However the geeks at your highschool who told you 10 out of 12 macbook hard drives will fail reminds me of another poster who tried to convince us that she heard on the internet that 50% of all macbooks will die in a year or have major problems. She took such a beating from everyone that after the original post or 2 she was shamed out of the forum. Basically what it boiled down to was the idea that youve been had on a false percentage of failures. You cant go to a forum and expect to see a good mix of horror and blessing stories because people usually go to a forum to bitch, its called forum bias. Also with that bias comes a bit of forum lies, and the ever popular trollers just trying to raise a lil bit of controversy. Everyones trying to get something free. In your case its very unfortunate that you let your applecare expire because in your (somewhat) unique case you are having problems keeping a hard drive alive. There arent very many things that actually could be causing this physically in the computer besides a few variables that you can try to be aware of. First, dont violently shake your laptop, that means in a bag too, and if its in a bag try to put a neophrene case around it to keep it from knocking around. This holds true ESPECIALLY when the hard disk is hot from use, thats its most vounerable time, so let it cool down for a minute or 5 before you sack it away. Obviously dont use a generic hard disk, ever, just use the oem parts whenever possible. If your laptop eats the next one and youve been extra extra careful with it, just be sure you have a backup and with these books its super easy to replace it on your own. If your current one does die a premature death (about 3 years) I would put a new disk in there, load the os and sell it on ebay. Use that money towards a new one. Thats about all you really can do. Just please dont be going around trying to convince people that 10 out of 12 macbooks will have hard disk failure prematurely, I would have a better time beleiving 1 out of 100. Lucky you! But your replacement shoudl hold up just fine.

ftaok
Aug 30, 2007, 09:51 AM
Another thing, I know it's not the HD itself because many others have had the same issue. I'm pretty sure this is an inherent design flaw in the computer itself which Apple should address.

Any tips/suggestions? What should I do if my HD fails again? Just buy another one or another possibly faulty Macbook? My parents are getting so pissed that they even suggested buying a Thinkpad!!!

Perhaps the brand of hard drives that Apple is using is faulty. We have the 60GB Macbook and it's been fine.

If Apple won't replace the hard drive this time, you should buy a nice 160GB (or bigger) hard drive and put it in yourself. It'll come with a 3 or 5 year warranty, so if it fails, you could get a new one from the manufacturer.

And maybe buy a different brand than the one that comes with the MB.

ft

Cybergypsy
Aug 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
out of my 4 bad macbooks 2 had the hard drive clicking, My MBP is sooooo quiet it was the first think i checked....oh and yes the Macbooks were all bad but my last one was perfect and quiet...2.16

viqas
Aug 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
seagate = 5 year warranty

speaking of which you should have gotten apple care, after the third replacement talk to the tech and they may give you a brand new mackbook

mkrishnan
Aug 30, 2007, 12:27 PM
When the same part fails in the same computer repeatedly, it's systemic... it has to be one of a few limited issues:

- You have (excessively) dirty power in your home
- There is a central flaw (probably power delivery) in your Mac
- Something that's being done, whether physically to the computer or software wise or whatever, is abusing the part in question

The odds of receiving three bad "lemon" hard drives in a row, even from the worst HD manufacturer, are pretty slim.

Just to comment on the school's "10/12"... the experiences here on MR don't seem to be anywhere near that high.

Multimedia
Aug 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
I've put in an order for another HD(my one year warranty has expired and no AppleCare=no hope of getting a free replacement) but if this HD fails as well, then I don't know what I'll do. I can't afford to keep replacing HDs every few months.Not buying Applecare for a mobile Mac is asking for trouble. It's a freaking MOBILE Mac. Stuff goes wrong way more often in mobile Macs. It's a RULE to always buy Applecare with Mobile Macs.

EvryDayImShufln
Aug 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hard drives fail, how could it be the computers fault anyway? I've had several macs in the past year and none of them have had a hard drive that failed. Although I have had a hard drive that failed on me at one point, because it happens. It's the piece in your computer that is the most likely to fail.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with mkrishnan - something else is going on here.

I was once in a Microcenter and a salesman accidentally knocked over part of a display of brand new Seagate hard drives. He thought nobody saw and quickly picked them up. Just imagine if some poor slob bought a drive there that failed - he would return it and exchange it for another drive from the same display. It too would fail, and then that person might go on a forum and rant about how Seagate builds bad HDDs...

logandzwon
Aug 30, 2007, 12:39 PM

The MB and MBP have external power supplies plus internal regulars. This is highly ridiculously improbable. On top of that, he'd know there was a problem his TVs, radios, lights, and everything else without those conditioners would be be breaking much more often.

The odds of receiving three bad "lemon" hard drives in a row, even from the worst HD manufacturer, are pretty slim.

I used to buy only western digital hard disks. After they switch off the 6 gig platers everyone I've had has failed. And I'm talking many more then 3.

Just to comment on the school's "10/12"... the experiences here on MR don't seem to be anywhere near that high.

well, I have to totally agree with you here. However, I will add that it seems apple has had a lot of issues with their stuff since switching to intel.

Oh, and my CD MBP 17" had a total hard drive failure resulting in total data lose as well.

matt l
Aug 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
Not buying Applecare for a mobile Mac is asking for trouble. It's a freaking MOBILE Mac. Stuff goes wrong way more often in mobile Macs. It's a RULE to always buy Applecare with Mobile Macs.

exactly who's "rule" is this? why should you expect somthing to fail within 3 years? as long as you dont bang the thing about it should last ages.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
I disagree - Apple's quality control has not changed appreciably since before the Intel transition. They are good, but there are lemons out there, as there are with any product. Apple is making more laptops now than ever before, which means that even if the percentage of lemons produced remains constant, the absolute number of lemons goes up as production increases.

Some appliances are much more tolerant of dirty power than others. A light bulb can handle all sorts of power fluctuations that would kill a computer. Not saying that's what is happening here, but it's not impossible.

I have only had 3 hard drives fail on me in 14 years, and of those three two of them failed when they were over 10 years old. I bought a 160GB Western Digital SATA hard drive from Newegg last year and it died after about 9 months. Other than that I've had good luck with HDDs. Your mileage, of course, may vary. But 3 failures in quick succession indicates that the MacBook is eating the drives because of some other problem.

mkrishnan
Aug 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
The MB and MBP have external power supplies plus internal regulars. This is highly ridiculously improbable. On top of that, he'd know there was a problem his TVs, radios, lights, and everything else without those conditioners would be be breaking much more often.

I was trying to be general about the list, yes, sorry. Agreed this is far less likely in a notebook than a desktop. With respect to other devices, though, aside from perhaps your DVR and maybe your router, your computer is probably the most power surge sensitive electronic item in your home. Think about the other examples... when people have power surges because of storms, there are numerous posts on the internet about this taking a router down. I don't think I've ever heard of it taking a DVD player or a microwave oven down. I think that some devices are just more sensitive to this. I think actually a fair number of erratic computer behaviors are actually undiagnosed power issues. But not necessarily that this is one of them.

Multimedia
Aug 30, 2007, 12:53 PM
I was trying to be general about the list, yes, sorry. Agreed this is far less likely in a notebook than a desktop. With respect to other devices, though, aside from perhaps your DVR and maybe your router, your computer is probably the most power surge sensitive electronic item in your home. Think about the other examples... when people have power surges because of storms, there are numerous posts on the internet about this taking a router down. I don't think I've ever heard of it taking a DVD player or a microwave oven down. I think that some devices are just more sensitive to this. I think actually a fair number of erratic computer behaviors are actually undiagnosed power issues. But not necessarily that this is one of them.I can't believe in this day and age that any of you run your Macs without a UPS between them and the wall. They cost next to nothing and eliminate any chance of dirty power or surges ever getting near your Mac. :rolleyes: :eek:

Last week I bought Belkin 900VA 540 Watt UPS for $70 at Fry's. That's the kind of UPS that would keep a Mac Pro running for half an hour beyond total power failure.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 30, 2007, 01:06 PM
I agree it's a very good idea to get a UPS, though I have never used one at home. My next tower will be getting one.

The common perception is that a surge protector is sufficient, which may or may not be true...if you want to be safe a UPS is a good investment. The problem with me is that every time I have cash to spend on my Mac it turns into video cards, RAM, software or other upgrades...:o

mkrishnan
Aug 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
I can't believe in this day and age that any of you run your Macs without a UPS between them and the wall. They cost next to nothing and eliminate any chance of dirty power or surges ever getting near your Mac. :rolleyes: :eek:

My UPS actually arrived in the mail yesterday. :eek: :o It's charging up today and I'm going to power it up tonight! :) But the reality with notebooks is they're also going to be used away from "good power." That's why they have such great buffering in their power supplies. It's not reasonable to ask notebook owners to carry a surge suppressor strip around with their 4.6 lb notebook.

azdude
Aug 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm on my 3rd 160GB hard drive since April on my C2D 17" 2.33 model. I've had Hitachi and Seagate models (all supplied from Apple), both with the same failure mode.

Since it occurs with multiple brands, this surely isn't a bad batch of disks -- there must be something wrong with Apple's recent logic boards that is somehow inducing failures in hard drives. I can only hope that this is someday soon resolved, whether via firmware updates or a special repair program.

It's infuriatingly restrictive to not be able to trust your main work computer. Sure, I back up, but this is just ridiculous.

JNB
Aug 30, 2007, 09:22 PM
UPS? Yeah, for those of us that use our laptop about 95% on the road, that makes real good sense. I need an inexpensive portable printer that fits in my briefcase more. I've hard crashed HP Unix servers by butt-swiping the 30-Amp power line more times than I can remember (and no, my ass ain't that big, it's just tight quarters back there), and they return to life every time, without fail. Now, tape drives are another story.

Hard drive failures? In 26 years, I've had exactly one fail. I've also had a total of one power supply smoke itself in the same time (a $30 ATX PS for my Frankenputer, about 8 years ago).

For me, it's just a weekly SuperDuper smart backup weekly, AppleCare, and a new machine about every three years or so. No worries. YMMV.

papayafish
Aug 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
I'm on my 3rd 160GB hard drive since April on my C2D 17" 2.33 model. I've had Hitachi and Seagate models (all supplied from Apple), both with the same failure mode.

Since it occurs with multiple brands, this surely isn't a bad batch of disks -- there must be something wrong with Apple's recent logic boards that is somehow inducing failures in hard drives. I can only hope that this is someday soon resolved, whether via firmware updates or a special repair program.

It's infuriatingly restrictive to not be able to trust your main work computer. Sure, I back up, but this is just ridiculous.

Actually, I've had a Seagate fail and then a Hitachi fail. I need to see how to get a warranty to replace the failed drive since I ordered it from Other World Computing(OWC). Bahhh, this is so stressful.

As for damage and abuse, I don't know if keeping my comp in its case whenever I take it out and making sure to always shut down properly constitues "abuse." If it can't take that, then god help Apple.

Also, the 10/12 failure rate was just something I heard from my school's IT staff. I can't believe that the HDs are just faulty if my school's bulk failed that high. Plus, you have to agree that that failure rate is ridiculous. I've looked around on other forums(Apple.com and other minor tech forums) and found loads of people with the same issue. What the national percentage is, who knows?

As for Applecare, you know, I'm a student and that extra 200 dollars can be hard to shell out. Plus, I'm not carrying around a UPS while working in class or out in cafes. That's not practical at all.

Thanks so much for the responses, by the way. I'm going to work on getting the HD manufacturer to replace the HD free under warranty or something. Baaah, this is so stressful. But let me say, if this next HD fails, you will be hearing from me about it here again.

17MBPC2D
Aug 31, 2007, 01:21 AM
OMG......Hard Drive Failure!!!

I had waken my 17MBPC2D from sleep so that I can download/upgrade my AEBS fireware and I can hear my harddrive spinning "clicking" randomly and system froze....forced power down and now will not boot!!!

FYI, 160GB 5400rpm HD.......145GB data is what I'm concerned about!!!

kwood
Aug 31, 2007, 02:01 AM
I asked the IT people at my high school about their experiences with Macbooks and they said 10/12 have had the exact same failure.

Come on, everyone knows that 14/56 statistics are made up right on the spot.

That being said my Black MacBook is awesome. It is completely silent, no problems whatsoever. I also keep a back-up of my data because I know that hard drives are fickle and crash. Nothing like loosing 3 back-up hard drives in the span of a week. I guess I should have burned some DVDs.

pinwanger
Aug 31, 2007, 02:16 AM
I bought a MBP, got yellow problem + hard drive failure.

My friend bought a Macbook, hard drive failure.

Thats 2/2 for me. We both returned the MAC, will try again couple years later.

Dontdothat317
Aug 31, 2007, 06:22 AM
It's amazing how many people need a hard drive to die and all of their data to disintigrate before they learn to back things up. BACK THINGS UP!!!!!!

.. I'm part of this group of people :-D Now i have 2 copies of all my data, one internal one external so it can be easily transported from system to system.. do it :cool:

mkrishnan
Aug 31, 2007, 07:44 AM
.. I'm part of this group of people :-D Now i have 2 copies of all my data, one internal one external so it can be easily transported from system to system.. do it :cool:

Yes, and SuperDuper is excellent. It makes it very easy. I have to admit that I have not traditionally been good about this, but I'm getting better. I started by storing backups of my iBook on my iMac and now I have an external 500GB 7200.10 SATA drive to back them both up. :)

skye12
Aug 31, 2007, 07:55 AM
Not buying Applecare for a laptop is extremely bad judgment imo.

I have not known one person with a HD failure on an Apple less than
3-4 years old.

gnasher729
Aug 31, 2007, 08:00 AM
I asked the IT people at my high school about their experiences with Macbooks and they said 10/12 have had the exact same failure. Looking at the Apple forums, I've found many people with similar problems...it's funny how the topic on the apple.com forum with the same name as this is locked...no, it's actually really frustrating to me.

Since you are going to high school, I would expect you to be reasonably educated and to be able to report something that you were told _with precision_. So what did your IT people tell you _exactly_? That out of 12 MacBooks that people bought 10 had exactly the same harddrive failure as yours, and only two are still working? Or that out of 12 MacBooks that failed 10 had the same failure as yours? Or that out of 12 MacBooks with harddrive failure 10 had the same failure? I hope you can see that would just make a little bit of difference, right?

gnasher729
Aug 31, 2007, 08:04 AM

I don't know; a replacement for my 60GB SATA internal harddisk would cost me 30.49 plus postage, and it's five minutes to put it in, so I could replace quite a few harddisks and still be financially ahead.

mkrishnan
Aug 31, 2007, 08:35 AM

3-4 years old.

Not that I want to get into a pissing contest...but how exactly does AppleCare help them on their four year old laptops, then? It only lasts three years.

daneoni
Aug 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
I can't believe in this day and age that any of you run your Macs without a UPS between them and the wall. They cost next to nothing and eliminate any chance of dirty power or surges ever getting near your Mac. :rolleyes: :eek:

Last week I bought Belkin 900VA 540 Watt UPS for $70 at Fry's. That's the kind of UPS that would keep a Mac Pro running for half an hour beyond total power failure.

What? you caved and got a MP?, i thought you were waiting for Oakley+Seasburg or something like that. Lemme guess refurb MP?

anothermacaddic
Aug 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
I need an inexpensive portable printer that fits in my briefcase more.

Now, tape drives are another story.

Funny you mention this. I just picked up a cannon ip90 and i do have to say its fantastic! Its technically for printing 4/6 photos but a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper fits just fine and prints fairly quickly in both b/w and color. The ink cartriges are very small but they are also very cheap and easily refillable with a home kit. I did get some free ones by complaining to cannon that the ones i got were defective in the package and they sent me a whole box full.

Also these powervault removable disk backups from dell, while not cheap, work extremely well for large sensitive backups and are rock solid reliable and they are fairly rugged. Restorations from "tape" have never been so easy.

diamond.g
Aug 31, 2007, 09:33 AM

3-4 years old.

If you are saying what I think you are saying, then now you know one. If not, then nevermind :p.

TBi
Aug 31, 2007, 09:33 AM
Out of all the Macbooks i've seen not one of them have had a harddrive failure. Therefore no macbook could ever have a harddrive failure :)

papayafish
Aug 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
Since you are going to high school, I would expect you to be reasonably educated and to be able to report something that you were told _with precision_. So what did your IT people tell you _exactly_? That out of 12 MacBooks that people bought 10 had exactly the same harddrive failure as yours, and only two are still working? Or that out of 12 MacBooks that failed 10 had the same failure as yours? Or that out of 12 MacBooks with harddrive failure 10 had the same failure? I hope you can see that would just make a little bit of difference, right?

Since you're able to go online and type into a web browser, I would expect you to have a reasonable comprehension of the English language. How hard is it to understand that 10/12 Macbooks had the same HD failure that mine had? You've just stated the same fact thrice using different diction and as such, making no point whatsoever. Saying that out of 12, 10 had the same failure is the same as 10/12 failed in the same way. What point are you trying to make other than trying to insult others? None, you just look foolish.

anothermacaddic
Aug 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
Since you're able to go online and type into a web browser, I would expect you to have a reasonable comprehension of the English language. How hard is it to understand that 10/12 Macbooks had the same HD failure that mine had? You've just stated the same fact thrice using different diction and as such, making no point whatsoever. Saying that out of 12, 10 had the same failure is the same as 10/12 failed in the same way. What point are you trying to make other than trying to insult others? None, you just look foolish.

Ok this kid doesnt understand a whole lot. Just consider this case closed.

papayafish
Sep 1, 2007, 01:31 AM
Ok this kid doesnt understand a whole lot. Just consider this case closed.

Jeez, you're so defensive. What have you said to support this foregone conclusion? Switching the position of the main subject in a sentence doesn't change his point. Plus, you're clearly ignorant of what this issue is by offering no suggestion on what could be a cause of this.

Plus, see here, http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4782134 if you think I'm just making things up. Look around more on Google and you'll see many people with my same issue. I know it's not just me blowing hot air.

So defensive because maybe the hardware is flawed in some way. Get a grip. And yes, I get somewhat angry when people make assumptions like you.

papayafish
Sep 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'm sending my HD to the manufactuer for a free warranty replacement this week. It's a Hitachi drive that replaced the original fialed Seagate. Hopefully the replacement drive won't fail as well, although if it does, I don't know what I'll do from that point.

At least I'm not like the guy who had five drives fail...talk about bad luck.

anothermacaddic
Sep 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
When you starting flaming everybody in your juvenile way people lost all interest in you and your bulls*** thread.

Nice work following yourself up like that. It will keep this thread alive for another 30 minutes.

gnasher729
Sep 1, 2007, 12:03 PM

In the future, I'll t r y t o t y p e m u c h s l o w e r s o t h a t e v e r y b o d y u n d e r s t a n d s i t.

For your information: I stated three absolutely one hundred percent different interpretations. I'd like to see you in any statistics course. Not the slightest chance.

Cabbit
Sep 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
Ok your hard drive is messed up deal with it. Its not your fault, apples fault, nor anyone else's.

Now if that is a nice seagate you have there then i comes with a 5 year warranty that bypasses apples warranty anyway, send it back to the manufacturer, its the same thing apple is going to do just expect to pay postage witch last i checked was more than one drive is worth.

And try to ignore grammar nazi's and the new statistical analysis nazi's that are creeping in, they proberly think american english is correct spelling too.

TBi
Sep 1, 2007, 04:54 PM
Actually apple rebranded seagate drives are covered by Apple's warranty and not by seagates. Just try returning one directly, they'll send you right on to apple.

dann e b
Oct 16, 2007, 04:52 AM
Just thought I'd add to what has been already posted about these Seagate drives. I work for a data recovery company in the UK and we have seen loads of these seagate drives, mostly from Macbooks and Macbook Pros. There does appear to be a defective batch of drives in circulation and it is just very unlucky that apple used them in their machines. They are not alone as the drives are also in thinkpads and other PC laptops. No amount of testing by apple would have shown up the fault with these drives as they only seem to fail after 6 months to a year. Only Seagate themselves could have tested the drives to such a level. We posted an article on our blog about the problem and also have a photograph of the inside of one of these drives after it has failed.

The problem with the Hitachi drives is different entirely. These drives appear to have bad media (platters). This means that we can usually recover data but it can take a while. We have only received a handful of these Hitachis compared to tens of the Seagates.

The only way to avoid a problem like this is by having a rock solid backup system. Hopefully Leopard with Time Machine will get more people backing up more regularly.

Sorry for blabbing on but I though someone might be interested.

http://www.dq-int.co.uk/blog/2007/07/19/seagate-momentus-drive-failures/

Tmog
Oct 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know; a replacement for my 60GB SATA internal harddisk would cost me 30.49 plus postage, and it's five minutes to put it in, so I could replace quite a few harddisks and still be financially ahead.

That is true, but there is other failures than the harddisk. My Macbook is on its third motherboard. I think that have repaid my Applecare quite well.

I think the best thing about Applecare is that you do not have to worry. Everytime my motherboard died, I just call Apple and they said "Oh you have Applecare" and then no questions, they just fixed it.

oneearth
Feb 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
Now if that is a nice seagate you have there then i comes with a 5 year warranty that bypasses apples warranty anyway, send it back to the manufacturer,

i bought a macbook first gen that had a hard drive failure. it had a seagate drive made in 2006 and so i visited the seagate website and put in the model and serial number. but the result said that it was not warrantied. hmmm, i wonder if the 5 year warranty applies and if so, how does one get it.

i put in a hitachi harddrive from another macbook and now it's seems to slowly be exhibiting some difficulty accessing the hard drive. hmm...? why is it the sleek macbooks/ibooks/pros have problems but the sleek pc laptops don't seem to as much?

perhaps with this lovely black macbook which is so silent, i will need to buy a new seagate that actually have a 5 year warranty and keep my data off the hard drive onto an external hard drive or flash drive.

oneearth
Feb 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
There does appear to be a defective batch of drives in circulation and it is just very unlucky that apple used them in their machines. They are not alone as the drives are also in thinkpads and other PC laptops. No amount of testing by apple would have shown up the fault with these drives as they only seem to fail after 6 months to a year. Only Seagate themselves could have tested the drives to such a level. We posted an article on our blog about the problem and also have a photograph of the inside of one of these drives after it has failed.

the seagate momentus that i removed from the failed macbook was of the first listed model: ST98823AS. is there any way to get seagate to warranty it?

aznguy2772
Feb 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
the seagate momentus that i removed from the failed macbook was of the first listed model: ST98823AS. is there any way to get seagate to warranty it?

No, because the HDs that we get are OEMs, so Seagate doesn't cover it. Hey, right now, I'm on my 3rd hard drive from Apple. You know how much it pisses me off when I have to go to the Apple Store and get a replacement. If my HD fails the next time (which would be the 3rd repair/4th Hard Drive), I'm demanding a new computer.

dubels
Feb 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
My hard drive failed a month after my applecare was up. I didn't know that I had to renew my applecare before the one year was up so I put it low on my priority list. After my hard drive failed I just bought a new one because I needed a working laptop right away but now it hits me that my hard drive should not have died only after a month after a year of production. I am greatly upset with the quality that they put into these macbooks. I have had quite a few problems with mine(in order of occurrence): battery failure, staining top cover, hard drive failure, cracking top cover, now flickering screen.

xTrPascal
Mar 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I would like to share my experience with my toy macbook (white core duo 2 ghz 2gb 60 gb hdd)

I have used the whitebook flawlessly for about a year and I was jus beginning to think steve jobs was indeed right about his claims.

Ok then jobs came up with the so called revolutionary leopard. and
I had to upgrade from tiger and I did so. one week after my upgrade (pirated copy of leopard due to my lac of funds at the time) I saw the folder with a q mark at the boot screen. I took the whitebook to apple and the happily changed the hdd as they did not have 60 gigs anymore so they gave me a 80 gig version. I has happy the tech guy was happy and my whitebook was happy with tiger.

but I could not stop my self and the devil pushed me to insert the burn.sparceimage dvd bask in to the drive so I had the wonderful leopard back again.

3 days later my drive just stopped responding and my apple care was past deadline so just bought a 160 gig sata II samsung and replaced the drive, the same story again when I have the tiger the drive is happy when I have the pirated leopard the hdd dies again.

I know there will be people preaching me to buy a legal version I did so from ebay for 70 bucks, but I still have a dead drive in my book.

I wonder if this happened from a virus like thing implemented to the pirated leopard or do you guys think my book just has a bad habit of frying the hdd.

I appreciate any ideas on the matter. thank you

Either sounds like you are really unlucky or you're a bit rough with your Mac. My flatmates Macbook has never missed a beat and he uses it everywhere, all day, everyday.

The thinkpad isnt a nice thought is it!!!

Hope your luck changes!!! :)

SFStateStudent
Mar 25, 2008, 03:01 PM
I usually back up everything once a week. I've got AppleCare for all my computers, and wouldn't even dream of "not having AppleCare" or allowing them to expire. :eek::confused:

CalmEnvy
Mar 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
My MacBook has a Fujitsu HD and I've never used one. When it dies I'm getting a Seagate HD as that's all I really have used lately.

winwintoo
Apr 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
My MacBook was a Christmas gift. I thought it was a bit off from the start, it was slow compared to my old PowerBook, but I thought it might just be all the gunk I had hosed over from the old PB.

I saw the beachball a lot and typing was a pain. I wondered if the keyboard wasn't connected properly.

Then one day, the beachball appeared and nothing I did would make it stop. The finder was frozen too, so I hit the power button and the machine turned off. I tried to restart it, but all I got was a blank white screen. Not even the flashing question mark.

So I took it to the shop and they replaced the hard drive, but told me they couldn't recover anything from the old one. I don't know if that was the truth or if they were just lazy, but I've lost years of writing, all my pictures, important emails, everything.

Then this morning, I read this post (http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/08/an_improbable_yet_successful_m.html) where the guy took the drive out of the computer and when he put it back in, it worked again.

I suspect that my old drive with all my stuff is gone into the recycle bin and no amount of pleading will convince the shop to return it to me, but this information might help someone else.

Take care, Margaret

mkrishnan
Apr 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
I suspect that my old drive with all my stuff is gone into the recycle bin and no amount of pleading will convince the shop to return it to me, but this information might help someone else.

Have you at least started making backups on a regular basis as a result of this experience? ;)

winwintoo
Apr 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
Have you at least started making backups on a regular basis as a result of this experience? ;)

I just got the MacBook back yesterday and as we speak, I'm deciding on the best backup strategy. Most of what I need to backup will fit on a thumb drive - so why didn't I use one?

After using various Macs without any problems for many years, I got complacent - thought it couldn't happen.

Am I sorry? U betcha.

Take care, Margaret

AlexanderTgreat
Apr 16, 2008, 04:31 PM
Not buying Applecare for a mobile Mac is asking for trouble. It's a freaking MOBILE Mac. Stuff goes wrong way more often in mobile Macs. It's a RULE to always buy Applecare with Mobile Macs.

That deminishes and semblance of value that the macbook might have had. Besides with the quality of service coming from mac these days you're better to just sell your laptop each year and buy a new one (doesn't cost much more)

mkrishnan
Apr 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
After using various Macs without any problems for many years, I got complacent - thought it couldn't happen.

Awww, that's understandable. But Hard Drives are hard drives, and they can fail in any kind of computer. So can those USB sticks, in principal. I'm glad that you're backing up now. It's good for your emotional health! ;)

USB sticks are a great option to keep all your docs on. Please don't assume they never fail either, though, and start just using your USB copy! One of my friends in my doctoral program almost lost her masters' thesis that way! :eek: :(

At some point, you may wish to consider getting an external drive for Time Machine or SuperDuper also. That way, if you ever do (god forbid) have a drive failure, particularly with SuperDuper, you don't even have to stop working. You reboot on your backup clone and can use it immediately! I'm not 100% consistent, but I have my iMac set up so that there are two partitions for it to back up onto on my backup disk (my iMac has a 160GB drive and I have a 500GB backup drive), and I alternate them, and try to run one of them each week (I'm still on Tiger).

wyoungs
Sep 18, 2008, 03:57 PM
This happen to me to just the other day. I got the panic kernel, then I called Apple support and they tried to repair my disc. From there, it went to a gray screen with the blinking question mark. My Hard Drive died and with it all of my data. :mad:

aristobrat
Sep 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
This happen to me to just the other day. I got the panic kernel, then I called Apple support and they tried to repair my disc. From there, it went to a gray screen with the blinking question mark. My Hard Drive died and with it all of my data. :mad:
Restore from your Time Machine backup.

Drumjim85
Sep 18, 2008, 04:08 PM

wow, a newbie who searched!!! (well done)

mosx
Sep 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
When the same part fails in the same computer repeatedly, it's systemic... it has to be one of a few limited issues:

- There is a central flaw (probably power delivery) in your Mac
- Something that's being done, whether physically to the computer or software wise or whatever, is abusing the part in question

Why is it the users fault? Why is it always the users fault when something goes wrong with a Mac?

Back in the day bad IDE controllers would cause HDD failure. Why not a bad SATA controller? Why not a bad connector within the MacBook? Why not something else within the MacBook?

It's not just physical abuse that can cause the problem. The power argument you gave is nil, considering the A/C adapter in the path and the regulators inside of the MacBook.

There is obviously something wrong with this MacBook and it existed before the warranty was up. It might be time for him to consider some sort of legal recourse to try to get Apple to replace it out of warranty, considering its obvious that the problem existed within warranty.

alphaod
Sep 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
I have HDDs from 15 years ago still working, not that I use them.

wyoungs
Sep 19, 2008, 12:48 AM

Yes, I should have. I learned the lesson the hard way.

wyoungs
Sep 19, 2008, 12:50 AM

I don't have time machine. I don't have anything at this point. :(

wyoungs
Sep 19, 2008, 12:52 AM
wow, a newbie who searched!!! (well done)

Merci. Look what I found:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9823370-37.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/27/apple_aware_some_macbooks_contain_flawed_seagate_drives.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/06/apple_chastised_for_ignoring_two_mac_data_loss_issues.html

Krusjer
Jan 19, 2009, 03:02 PM
I've a MacBook, and my third (3rd) HD just died today, the exact same way the other two dies.

I was downloading some P2P files, so I left it running on the table. Had FireFox open with a film I hadn't finished.

Next day, the Mac was sluggish. Then I heard those dreaded noises from the HD. Clicking, ticking and scraping.

There was recently a riot in my home town - a once in a lifetime photo-op - and I was just about to take a backup... I would have done it sooner, weren't it for a DJ-friend borrowing my external for a concert. So I lost all 800 pictures. :(

Can I curse now?

So, how does this happen? Well, here's how I use my MacBook.

I seldom turn it off. Usually I just close the lid (i.e. the screen).
Second, I do some file sharing, which of course puts strain on the HD.
And then, being a musician and a media-person, I use it for making music (mostly composing in Garage Band) and editing and reviewing film on FCP.

I handle it with a lot of care, although I carry it in a PC-bag to work every other day. I never throw the bag around (who would do such a thing with expensive equipment in it anyway?) and usually I don't open the MacBook while travelling.

And that's it, really!

I consider this normal use. If the MacBook's HD can't take normal use like that, I not only want my money back - I want compensation for the loss of all those priceless music pieces, photos and films that I've lost on the three HD deaths.

Man, I'm so pissed off right now!

applgeek
Jan 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
This would be a good time to throw up an ad for drivesavers.

My best backup is an SD or CF card. I put my most important stuff as well as my music on it. You can instantly back up stuff that isnt on a superduper or time machine backup. Sd cards go up to 32gb, which is usually enough for some important files. You can keep it plugged in 24x7 and tape a small card reader to the lid, or you can simply get a card with an integrated reader (sandisk makes them) and throw the SD card in your wallet. I personally use a dell, so I just keep it in the SD reader at all times. If my cheap hard drive dies in either computer, I can easily move critical data to my restore backup. If you dont have much data, you could even use this instead of a restore backup.

CalmEnvy
Jan 19, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have HDDs from 15 years ago still working, not that I use them.

Same here, maybe not as old but still 10 years old. I think it's like a 2GB Seagate drive lol.

pgkool
Sep 30, 2009, 07:09 PM
Here is the best answer i found after much googling.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/914688.html

My 13in MBP was making a clicking sound every now and then from the first day i bought it. Like someone in the above form said, ur drive should not click NO MATTER WHAT! I have never had a laptop drive click unless the drive it dying.

anyways, the clicking from my drive was like ever 30 min or so, so it wasnt like the constant clicking you get when the drive dies.

I used the HDAPM app and set it to like 200 and i never heard a click since. My friend has a macbook and his HD has died on him 3 times in 2 years.

I think this is more of a *nix issue rather then just OSX or mac.

Apple is known for putting slightly diff software configurations on there different line of laptops, this may be one that is apparent in some and not others.

l.a.rossmann
Sep 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
My parents are getting so pissed that they even suggested buying a Thinkpad!!!

This is not a bad idea. Thinkpads are considerably more durable.

If you don't believe me, spill beer in your macbook and try to turn it on.

spirochete
May 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
I repair Macs for a living...... while it has slowed down now, I went through a period with literally swarms of Macbooks coming in with HD failure.......

Almost always the same, OK the previous evening, owner fires it up the next day and all they get is a :- 'tick, tick, tick, brrrr' from the drive...... death rattle!

Drives are almost always unreadable and its not any one particular brand.

Given the waaayyyy higher than normal /expected failure rate, I started watching the owners when they brought the machines in - and in 85% of cases the Mac was in sleep mode. When questioned the owners admitted they never actually shut the machine down, (just close the lid when finished). Macbook then goes into its nice snug trendy sleeve and then in the bag or brief case until the next day.........

Was it hot? (I ask)....... 'Oh yes' is the usual reply, 'Amazingly hot'.

Conclusion?...... these little plastic Macbooks still kick out a lot of heat in sleep mode ( the plastic case doesn't help dump the heat)..... stick it in its nice little tailor-made Macbook-Duvet......... and you cook the drive overnite!

Advice?........ when you've finished using it..... shut it down, particularly before 'bagging' it.

Food for thought........

JH

BarryMcaukiner
Feb 8, 2011, 08:14 PM

3-4 years old.

I'm new here, but I'd like to chime in with my experience. I have had 7, yes SEVEN hard drive failures on 3 different MacBook Pro's since July of 2010. Yes folks that's about one a month. All were replaced on warranty. I requested a new machine twice and was given a replacement machine both times. It is now Feb. 2011 and my 6 week old brand new replacement MBP is in for ANOTHER hard drive replacement. Geniuses at the store have no idea what is causing this. They have replaced the cable and the logic board along with the hard drive twice only to have it fail again. I'm losing faith.
I also have 2 other MacBooks (older) and an iMac that work perfectly

redballoon
Sep 5, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm new too. I support 400 macbook pros, all less than 1 year old. I've had 11 fail. I think that's still a huge number even despite the large number I support. I've seen no outward sign of abuse and have even witnessed it fail first-hand. I have noticed that this seems to happen most often when the mac is trying to wake from sleep or the battery ran out because the user did not properly shut down. This is all within the past 3 weeks since school started and everyone started using their macs again. It's very frustrating and I've been on the phone with apple constantly. They can't really offer any advice on how to prevent these failures. We have applecare, but it's very different for organizations. I literally have to try every possible option before they'll take it back.

BarryMcaukiner
Sep 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
I gave up after 10 drives in less than a year and paid for the upgrade to a solid state hard drive. Have not had any problems since. Apple never figured out why I had such a problem.