PDA

View Full Version : All UK Windows XP users please read

AppleMatt
Aug 11, 2003, 06:35 PM
Someone is slamming UK computers with this security hole RIGHT NOW (repeated attacks for the last 45 minutes);
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Which gives you 60 seconds before the machine powers off.

There's more info here (including all affected Windows OS's);
http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2003/Jul/1007212.html

An official patch is available to download here (Windows XP 32-bit, above link contains pathches for other Windows OS's);
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

Be safe,
AppleMatt

applemacdude
Aug 11, 2003, 09:02 PM
Yet another stupid security hole...What a bunch of *******s over there at microsuck:rolleyes:

iPC
Aug 11, 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
Yet another stupid security hole...What a bunch of *******s over there at microsuck:rolleyes:
Intelligent you are... :rolleyes:

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 10:18 PM
The Force is strong in this one. :)

GeeYouEye
Aug 12, 2003, 12:04 AM
Yep, gotta love that "Systems not affected" list.

Independence
Aug 12, 2003, 04:26 PM
it's not just the UK. it's the entire world. we do all happen to be connected to the same internet. :rolleyes:

fortunately, i haven't gotten this virus on my system. probably because i'm not the average idiotic computer user.

AppleMatt
Aug 12, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Independence
it's not just the UK. it's the entire world. we do all happen to be connected to the same internet. :rolleyes:

fortunately, i haven't gotten this virus on my system. probably because i'm not the average idiotic computer user.

1. When I posted that it hit the UK really hard, which was why I posted. Are you sure we're all connected to the same internet? When I went to apple.com I thought it actually got to my desktop by magic, you're saying it didn't?

2. It's not about being an idiotic computer user, it's about;

A. Security.
B. Microsofts attitude towards A.

So you didn't get the virus, good for you. Enough people got it for it to hit the news, and the majority of users affected are those who don't want to spend their lives trawling through Microsoft tech documents and security alert sites, they just want to email their relatives and browse the internet, or basically, do what Microsoft advertise they can do.

Try to be less offensive. % wise, the amount of people who are exceptionally computer literate is very, very small and if just one person read this and patched their system, I'm happy.

AppleMatt

G4scott
Aug 12, 2003, 04:34 PM
What will it take for people to realize that you don't have to put up with the vast security holes in microsoft's software?

There are alternatives...

AppleMatt
Aug 12, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
What will it take for people to realize that you don't have to put up with the vast security holes in microsoft's software?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-RTO-rontz&idq=/ff/story/0002%2F20030811%2F200733041.htm&sc=rontz

In January, a worm dubbed "Slammer" that exploited a hole in Microsoft SQL database software brought automatic teller machines in the United States to a standstill, paralyzed corporate networks worldwide and nearly shut down Web access to South Korea.

Quite a lot, it seems :rolleyes:.

AppleMatt

applemacdude
Aug 12, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by iPee
Intelligent you are... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 12, 2003, 05:16 PM
My boss uses Windows XP but has never installed an update. Whenever he tries, he always gets a cryptic message about the Cryptographic Service not working. He hasn't even installed SP1 because of this. Today he's hollering about this worm and he asks me to take care of it. Of course, every other computer is fine, but I spent the afternoon trying to fix his computer. I wish he would have told me about it before so I could have fixed it then and not had to spend an entire afternoon...

AngryAngel
Aug 12, 2003, 05:36 PM
I spent practically the whole day clearing up the mess from this worm.

I wish the Windows users could be bothered to update there systems and keep there virus protection up to date...

Fender2112
Aug 12, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by G4scott

Name one. :D

pseudobrit
Aug 12, 2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Fender2112
Name one. :D

DOS 1.25

Abstract
Aug 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
OSX. :)

Yes, but if everybody switched over to Apple or something, then they will be targeted more often by idiots who unleash harmful viruses. I'm glad Apple is in the 3%. I know its bad business for Apple, but I hope Apple always has less than 5% of the market.

AppleMatt
Aug 13, 2003, 04:36 AM
It's true...it's all true.

AppleMatt

blogo
Aug 13, 2003, 05:42 AM
I find it interesting that (that it seems like) more Apple users keep their systems up to date than pc-users.

AppleMatt
Aug 13, 2003, 06:12 AM
I agree, they do seem to. I don't know, but maybe because there's less updates for Mac, and they are less confusing?

ie, "Bluetooth Update 1.2.1" is easier to understand than "Miscrosoft MDAC Buffer Over-run Update SP2". Or maybe people just wait for Microsoft service packs because it's easier.

AppleMatt

Mac Kiwi
Aug 13, 2003, 07:57 AM
Scary thing is that one day one of these *******s who design viruses is going to hit the motherload,and create chaos like we have not seen before,depressing but I think it will happen.

mvc
Aug 13, 2003, 09:35 AM
Yes - Behold, I speak of the coming infocolypse.

At 1:13am, Friday 13th June 2013, the distributed darwinian algorithms spawned by millions of A.I.@Home screensavers simultaneously tunnel in through well documented but unpatched .NET vulnerabilites and unite in one vast, sentient mindstate, instantly seizing control of the entire Microsoft universe and and anjkdfa8jvcvlk9p0&%$((}

Fatal error in application "Die Puny Humans 1.0"

OK / RETRY / CLOSE

We have nothing to fear, Billy G will protect us with the sheer incompetence of his coding. Even his bugs don't work right ;)

Mac Kiwi
Aug 13, 2003, 09:50 AM
:D ...

I was thinking of Bin Laden and his fundementalist mates,apparently some of them are a bit adept at cyber war and learning all more all the time.I read an article once that said the cyber war area in the CIA or might have been NSA I dunno,anyway these people take up to 30 - 50 hits a day from people trying to get into national security from different countries.