PDA

View Full Version : iPod, Windows AND Mac compatiable?

RobVanDam
Aug 11, 2003, 07:29 PM
I have a problem, because in a few months I will be a switcher when I get a powerbook and go off to college. The only thing I really need to save from my PC however is my song collection. Which gave me an idea.

I've seen iPod's at Best Buy and there wasn't a special Windows version or a special Mac version. So, could I get a 30 GB iPod and a Firewire card, put all of my MP3's onto the iPod, then after I get the Powerbook transfer all the music from the iPod to the Powerbook.

Is this possible?

Kwyjibo
Aug 11, 2003, 07:43 PM
definately possible with the 3G ipods. There are a bunch of ipod to itunes type transfer programs all you got to do is find one you like. sites like www.ipoding.com and www.ipodlounge.com keep good track of the most recent versions of all these programs and their new features... also fi you do a search here i know many people have their favorites....

Mblazened
Aug 11, 2003, 07:48 PM
kind of, i mean, you can do it, but itunes won't take songs from an ipod and put them in your library, only from the library to the ipod. So, you have to transfer the files anyway.

But with something like podmaster or another ipod app it is easier.

TEG
Aug 11, 2003, 08:21 PM
Can he not use the iPod as a Hard Drive and transfer the file from one machine to another.

Also a Network cable (Doesn't matter wheither or not it's a cross-over cable) will allow you to transfer you files, if you don't want to risk using those programs.

TEG

cliffm
Aug 12, 2003, 12:07 AM
If you get a Mac Ipod then it will be formatted with the HFS filesystem. To reconize it on a windows machine you will need special software such as Xplay (http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/).

TEG
Aug 12, 2003, 09:16 AM
cliffm--If you get a Mac Ipod then it will be formatted with the HFS filesystem. To reconize it on a windows machine you will need special software such as Xplay.

I'm afraid that is no longer true with 3G iPods. They use some sort of universl file system (i.e.readable by both systems - like FAT). Xplay is no longer required to use it on PCs. I've been told, that all that is needed is the drivers from the iPod CD.

TEG