PDA

View Full Version : eBay - is this guy for real?

cb911
Aug 11, 2003, 08:45 PM
i've been looking at PowerBooks on eBay lately. i saw a couple, from sale in Italy, obvious frauds. but then this morning some guy just emailed me asking if i want a 17" PB? i don't even know the guy, and he doesn't have any PB auctions on eBay. his username is wmark777 and that seller has only been selling stuff like ice-cream scoops and plates etc.

anyways, he wants AUD $3999 for a 17" PB. i asked for the payment details, and of course - Western Union. but then he said to send the funds to his location, but in a friends name, then send him the transfer's details(SENDER NAME,RECEIVER
>NAME,MTCN). he says that once the funds are there he will ship the PB and email me the UPS tracking #. then he says that only when i have the goods and have checked it i will have to change the Western Union payment to his name so he can get the funds.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? this seems very similar to the way an escrow service works, but he still insisted on Western Union.

does this sound like a safe deal? he can access the funds unless it's in his name, right? i've never used Western Union before, so i don't really know how it works.

if people could let me know what you think, that would be great. :)

grapes911
Aug 11, 2003, 08:52 PM
Sounds fishy to me. I don't think I'd trust it.

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 09:12 PM
Run!!!! It doesn't sound good at all no matter how I try looking at it.

Keith Purfield
Aug 11, 2003, 09:17 PM
Anyone that e-mails you from eBay regarding a 17" PowerBook is 99.9% of the time a scammer.

Whenever I bid on auctions for PowerBooks, I always get tons of people e-mailing me about some deals that would be awesome if they were real ($1300 for a 17" PowerBook?!). And they're always from outside of the US.

I wouldn't trust him. Win an auction the real way, that way eBay is there to back you up if you get scammed.

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 09:24 PM
Definitely, there are way too many scams out there and if it looks way too good to be true, then it is basically a scam.

Kwyjibo
Aug 11, 2003, 09:30 PM
these people are like hawks looking for mice, everytime you bid on a powerbook its like walking into an open field unfourtunately.

Horrortaxi
Aug 11, 2003, 09:45 PM
You spotted the auctions from Italy as scams but you have to ask about this one?

Powerbook G5
Aug 11, 2003, 09:51 PM
C'est la vie. :rolleyes:

Jerry Spoon
Aug 11, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
C'est la vie. :rolleyes:

In Italy, that would be, " la vita."
(at least that's what babelfish tells me.;)

GeeYouEye
Aug 11, 2003, 11:00 PM
If you have to ask, it's almost certainly a scam.

TheGoodGardener
Aug 11, 2003, 11:15 PM
Don't go ahead with it: a product as valuable as a Powerbook needs to be bought locally I reckon. There are so many things that can go wrong: money getting lost in transit, the product getting lost when shipping, it being held up in customs, it being liable for import duty etc etc etc and that's only if the seller is genuine!!

I'd advise you to look for products in your area and then go there and pay in person so you can view the thing and make sure there's nothing wrong with it: a good seller rating is also a plus.

Obviously everyone starts off on eBay with a rating of 0, but you'll always be better off buying from someone with a few positive comments (also preferably from people with good ratings).

mstecker
Aug 11, 2003, 11:23 PM
I've been trying to buy a powerbook on ebay for a while now. I get several emails a day from people saying "I noticed you're trying to buy a powerbook. I have this [insert amazing deal here] for you".

Stay away.

For a while, I amused myself my writing back to all of those people saying I was interested in doing the deal if they'd use an escrow service. Of course, none of them would. My favorite line is "I'm too worried about fraud with escrow services". Yeah right, so instead I should just blindly western union money overseas?

ima_pseudonym
Aug 11, 2003, 11:28 PM
The set-up with western union is the same as a bunch of those Nigerian inheritance scams - wire the money in a different name and I'll check to see if its there, etc. I have no idea how they run security at western union, but how hard can it be to print out a fake i.d. on a color printer with any name you want?

If you really considered this at all, you should be sure to get a second opinion before any serious financial transaction.

For major ebay purchases, I wouldn't trust anyone who refuses to use escrow, and who will not accept credit cards (at least through paypal with a verified account).

One other thought though---there is nice account online somewhere (sorry, don't have the link) of someone who managed to get a buck or two out of one of those Nigerian scams after establishing a long correspondence, leading them on, and then insisting on a show of good faith. Maybe you can get the seller to wire you a dollar or two to show he's for real.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 11, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
In Italy, that would be, " la vita."
(at least that's what babelfish tells me.;)

It's twue! It's twue!

BrandonRP0123
Aug 11, 2003, 11:41 PM
I went through that same thing prior to buying my 12" - a guy selling it in AUD but his e-mail once I made contact was @yahoo.es. I questioned him about it to which he replied ``My wife is spanish but I certainly am not''. Checked the headers - he definitely was sending it from Spain.

He, too, said that I could put it in whatever name - but again, western union is crap. Don't ever pay for something in a wire transfer.

These are almost as bad as the Nigerian scams out there.

They flock to you like fleas on a dog the minute you place a bid for a powerbook, anywhere. I've had my powerbook for almost a month (having ``bought it now'', but bid on 3 or 4 others in that timeframe) and to this day I get the scammers.

The best one was the 17" for $999, with an airport extreme - and if I paid an extra $399 he'd throw in the 20" display.

tazo
Aug 11, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by cb911
i've been looking at PowerBooks on eBay lately. i saw a couple, from sale in Italy, obvious frauds. but then this morning some guy just emailed me asking if i want a 17" PB? i don't even know the guy, and he doesn't have any PB auctions on eBay. his username is wmark777 and that seller has only been selling stuff like ice-cream scoops and plates etc.

anyways, he wants AUD $3999 for a 17" PB. i asked for the payment details, and of course - Western Union. but then he said to send the funds to his location, but in a friends name, then send him the transfer's details(SENDER NAME,RECEIVER
>NAME,MTCN). he says that once the funds are there he will ship the PB and email me the UPS tracking #. then he says that only when i have the goods and have checked it i will have to change the Western Union payment to his name so he can get the funds.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? this seems very similar to the way an escrow service works, but he still insisted on Western Union.

does this sound like a safe deal? he can access the funds unless it's in his name, right? i've never used Western Union before, so i don't really know how it works.

if people could let me know what you think, that would be great. :)

how would u know what his real name is? He could just tell u his "Friends" name is john boe, when he is actually mr. boe....

cb911
Aug 12, 2003, 12:59 AM
i thought about the fact that he could use a fake I.D. to collect the funds, and i'm about to email Western Union to see what I.D. requirements they have.

tazo, he wants me to send the money to one of my friends, so that supposedly he can check the funds are there, but won't be able to collect them yet. in the email he also said that he would setup a private auction on eBay if i was interested.

if something did go wrong, what sort of protection would eBay offer?

also, has anyone here every used Western Union? what sort of experience did you have with them?

edit>> i just had more of a look at Western Union and they only require a drivers license to collect the funds. damn, even i could make a fake I.D. like that!! oh well, i'm going to stay clear of 17" PowerBooks unless they're for sale from Australia.:rolleyes:

FriarTuck
Aug 12, 2003, 08:42 AM
Searched the web for western union scam. Results 1 - 10 of about 27,900. Search took 0.24 seconds

jxyama
Aug 12, 2003, 09:40 AM
western union...

it's basically a quicker version of stuffing cash in an envelope and mailing it. yeah, sure, the mail should get to the person addressed and only that person is supposed to open the mail...

elliscarson
Aug 12, 2003, 09:52 AM
This is 100% scam. Do not send him any money. I was almost scammed like this, which was idiotic of me. Do not do it.

Kwyjibo
Aug 12, 2003, 09:53 AM
You really just have to stop thinking this is possible, I mean it sounds cool and hes selling you the dream ( I love that phrase) but its not gonna work. Well your at it why don't you guy one of those auctions for information on how to recieve free electronics. At least with the info your only otu like 10 bucks instead of 1500 or whatever hes offering you.

cb911
Aug 12, 2003, 06:33 PM
yeah, there's no way i'm going to deal with this guy, but he sure is persistent.

and since it's not long until Monday now...;)

edit>> this guy wants to use an escrow service now? i don't know what's up with this, but he wants to use www.securepays.com (http://www.securepays.com). it seems like a legit escrow service... but i still want to check it out.

anyway, i'm going to see if he'll useTradeSecure.com.au (http://www.tradesecure.com.au).

does anyone have any links to sites where you do things like check a record of fraud sites and fraud companies, etc?

SubGothius
Aug 12, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ima_pseudonym
The set-up with western union is the same as a bunch of those Nigerian inheritance scams - wire the money in a different name and I'll check to see if its there, etc...
One other thought though---there is nice account online somewhere (sorry, don't have the link) of someone who managed to get a buck or two out of one of those Nigerian scams after establishing a long correspondence, leading them on, and then insisting on a show of good faith...IIRC, you may be referring to this:
http://spl.haxial.com/nigerian-fraud/
(BTW yes, this appears to be the very same guy whose misguided article prolly contributed the most to igniting the firestorm of G5 benchmark criticism; however, if you can manage to set aside your irritation at that debacle, this "conning the con artists" story is still very funny in its own right -- altho' he only led them on a snipe hunt for a while, didn't get any "good faith" money outta them...)

cb911
Aug 12, 2003, 09:05 PM
he he. :D

i would try to get some money out of them if they weren't selling anything and just trying to get my money. :D

mim
Aug 12, 2003, 11:16 PM
he he. :D

i would try to get some money out of them if they weren't selling anything and just trying to get my money. :D

well then, just get him to send you the optical drive in good faith ;)

mstecker
Aug 13, 2003, 12:02 AM
That securepays.com site looks very sketchy to me. What's strange is that I couldn't find any google references to them ANYWERE ELSE.

cb911
Aug 13, 2003, 12:34 AM
yeah, i didn't feel all that safe about using that securepays.com. besides from the fact that i've never heard of it before...:rolleyes:

cb911
Aug 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
another guy wants to use www.italy-commerce.com. someone else here mentioned that they never trusted sites with hyphenated names, and i'm the same now as well. the site has that VeriSign 'certificate' thing, but then it just links to the VeriSign site. if you click on one of them, shouldn't it say if it's a authentic site or something, instead of just going to VeriSign's site?

another dodgy thing is that italy-commerce doesn't come up on Google with anything.

i know there must be heaps of fake sites out there and now i'm getting sick of sifting through all of them.

is there any site where they post the names of fake sites, or where you can report sites if you think they are not legit?

MrClark
Aug 16, 2003, 06:34 PM
Definitely not a good idea. I agree with everyone else. Stay far away, because you won't get nothing after you send the cash. Word of advice... Western Union is a great service in times of emergency. I use it quite often.. although to people who I actually know. An alternative to Western Union, is using an escrow service. With the latter, caution should be taken for there are numerous "escrow scam sites" floating all over the net. If they don't agree to the run the deal even if you take responsibility on all escrow fees... drop it. The only legitimate escrow service is from http://www.escrow.com

Good Luck! :cool:

QCassidy352
Aug 16, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MrClark
The only legitimate escrow service is from http://www.escrow.com

agreed! If he won't use escrow.com... walk away and don't give it another thought. Seriously, if you do this through anything but escrow.com you're going to lose a lot of money...

cb911
Aug 16, 2003, 09:24 PM
yeah i'm only going to use one of those escrow sites that are mentioned on the eBay site.

on that italy-comerce site they even had a 'VeriSign' certificate, the little gold seal image. but when you clicked on it it went to the VeriSign site, didn't show that actual 'certificate'. and they had a pic of the old seal, so i reported the misuse of that to VeriSign.

I just wish there was more you could do if you had a feeling that a site wasn't legit, without filing a fraud after you've lost your money.

idamo4u
Oct 7, 2003, 09:00 PM
don trust that guy!, i had this bad experience b4, i lost my money 600 euro, i was ordering the cinema display 20", the guy give me an offer by using securepays, till today notthing happend, i did not receive the goods... i won't be able to contact them...... anymore.... better watch out for this guy " Richard ulman":mad: :mad:

idamo4u
Oct 7, 2003, 09:04 PM
i was register in securepays, now i know thats this site is gone, can anyone help or may be i can get my money back???? plsss:( :confused: :( :confused:

m4rc
Oct 8, 2003, 02:45 AM
Sorry to be blunt, but tough. Anyone who can believe some of these scams needs to take a deep breath. There are so many reports of e-bay scams on the net, and these people are raking it in. I think you will find that when they say that you can put the money in someone else's name this is because they don't actually need a lot of ID to pick it up, it is password protected.

For example, you send Mike Smith the money, but put it into an account for Steve Jones. You give Mike the Password 123456 so he can check the money is there. When he goes to make the collection, he just needs the password - anyone could make fake ID and a password is much more secure. Now he has your money, he moves on to the next victim.

When they seem to be a really nice e-bayer who has traded loads of times, I bet the values are noway near the value of what they are now selling. Usually they will have several items for thousands of dollars each. They have stolen this valid ID. Everything else that the genuine person sold would have been from the registered address, say New York for example. Suddenly this person is supplying direct from the UK, but from Italy, and you need to contact them via a different email address.

There are some genuine bargains on e-bay, but anything that seems like an amazing offer will most certainly be a scam. I went on a campaign a few months back with regular communications to e-bay informing them of these scammers. I successfully got over 200 of these fake auctions removed, and was informed that several agencies across the US and Europe were now taking these issues rather more seriously.

A genuine e-bayer will always be more than happy to work with you, and will not make rules that you won't be happy with.

Be careful guys, so many people have lost so much money.

Phillip
Oct 8, 2003, 03:31 AM
today, i got the same thing happening to me.

i was bidding on an ibook on ebay and i got these emails about a powerbook 17" for $1200 euros.

i was just about to buy it and the money was going to be transefered through western unioun

now that you guys have told me, i no i NEVER trust someone on ebay... it was just too good to be true...

saab74
Nov 12, 2003, 12:05 AM
This guy is FRAUD!!!! i got caught i lost 600 Euro's!!! he collects his money through western union. DO NOT MAKE any transactions with this person!!!! pure FRAUD!!
the site he forwards you to is http://www.altexitaly.o-f.com/ this site is fake and there are others involved who will forward you to this site, watchout!! ebay users forerunner2 might be involved and cristianhi. This is site is under investigation. BEWARE :eek:

ebuc
Nov 13, 2003, 07:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2765750906

manitoubalck
Nov 13, 2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Run!!!! It doesn't sound good at all no matter how I try looking at it.

well said.

Sun Baked
Nov 13, 2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by saab74
This guy is FRAUD!!!! i got caught i lost 600 Euro's!!! he collects his money through western union. DO NOT MAKE any transactions with this person!!!! pure FRAUD!!
the site he forwards you to is http://www.altexitaly.o-f.com/ this site is fake and there are others involved who will forward you to this site, watchout!! ebay users forerunner2 might be involved and cristianhi. This is site is under investigation. BEWARE :eek: All that fancy hardware and no cables and/or accessories -- the crap that supposed to be profit and it's nowhere to be found.

Almost as funny as the guy who plastered to logos from electronics manufacturers instead.

camobag
Nov 13, 2003, 09:35 PM
Hey, I didn't read all the other posts so I'm not sure if someone already said this but DON'T DO IT. It's really easy to make a fake i.d. and get the money from Western Union after you give him your name. Just a little advice--I got scammed.

ebuc
Nov 13, 2003, 09:47 PM
They advertise the 17" powerbook yet have a picture of the old 15" TiBook. Guess they're not trying very hard.

Versello
Nov 13, 2003, 10:31 PM
yeah i'm only going to use one of those escrow sites that are mentioned on the eBay site.

on that italy-comerce site they even had a 'VeriSign' certificate, the little gold seal image. but when you clicked on it it went to the VeriSign site, didn't show that actual 'certificate'. and they had a pic of the old seal, so i reported the misuse of that to VeriSign.

I just wish there was more you could do if you had a feeling that a site wasn't legit, without filing a fraud after you've lost your money.

There was an article on MSNBC.com where an ebay scammer revealed how he conned people - basically first what he did was send out emails to people posing as an ebay employee asking for passwords and what not. People that fell for it would send him their passwords; he would then use their accounts to sell bogus items, and naturally, use an escrow service that was fake.

Here's another article on MSNBC that talks about scammers using fake escrow services: http://www.msnbc.com/news/846795.asp?0cv=TA01

suneun
Nov 13, 2003, 11:02 PM
what's interesting is that two of the previously mentioned websites (securepays and another one) are just woosh! gone now. crap placeholder sites.

It's scary that it's so easy to fall into that kind of a trap. I get super-uneasy about buying large items online.

Brian Bosworth
Nov 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
tell him if he doesnt sell it and if will front it, mention that you have references, or If you can get a go between, say a moderator on the board

dbally
Nov 14, 2003, 01:55 PM
I also notified ebay about a few scams I came across months ago. It was the same sort of thing, great pb + cinema for next to nothing. Scams are everywhere, but there is no need to completely distrust people who sell on ebay. Basically, if the sellers refuse to go through ebay's payment methods then ebay will NOT provide any protection to the buyer, as far as I can see.

Florence1550
Jan 25, 2005, 01:53 PM
I work for a Lawer and 1 Client did this amd Lost her Money DON'T USE WESTERN UNION and Get a check on the Address if Possible

stevep
Jan 25, 2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ima_pseudonym
The set-up with western union is the same as a bunch of those Nigerian inheritance scams - wire the money in a different name and I'll check to see if its there, etc...
One other thought though---there is nice account online somewhere (sorry, don't have the link) of someone who managed to get a buck or two out of one of those Nigerian scams after establishing a long correspondence, leading them on, and then insisting on a show of good faith...

Go to www.419eater.com and do some light reading (look for 'the tale of the painted breast' - good light entertainment (and I guarantee you won't buy a powerbook from eBay with a Western Union cheque, ever).