PDA

View Full Version : 12 Powerbook Mod... HELP please!

Adokimus
Aug 30, 2007, 01:00 PM
Ok, I want to attempt a likely impossible mod. I want to gut out some of my broken 12" Powerbook G4, and stick an intel chip inside. I intend to keep the battery and HD the same as they still work fine. In short, I want to make my own 12" MBP. I have some experience building desktops and my roommate (who I'm recruiting) is a computer engineer, so if this can be done, I think we might be up to it. I have searched multiple forums and googled this topic, but with only limited results... most modded powerbooks just change the color of the apple on the lid.

The main issue I see is with the logic board and connectors. The current logic board won't be able to use an intel chip, and a new one would have different connectors and may not fit or might be too hot.

I know there are a lot of intelligent people on here, with more knowledge on this issue than I have. If anyone can help me out by sending me ideas on how to retrofit a different logic board into the powerbook, which logic board might fit, what adapters I might be able to use to connect a different logic board to the powerbook's ports, any disassembly instructions, etc. it would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Help, Help, Help!

Do people think this is possible? Can you send me any help on how you would go about it? Or give me a head's up on any issues I should know about ahead of time? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please don't just reply with the post "impossible."

Thanks in advance.

Much love,

Ado

(And as always, if I get this to work, you'll get pictures of every step.)

PlaceofDis
Aug 30, 2007, 01:06 PM
you're going to have all sorts of problems.

first you'll need to find a logic board that will fit and has the right connections.
you'll likely need a new drive unless its SATA and hopefully you'll be able to use the same powersupply connection and video connection, unless their proprietary, and this is apple. so maybe.

good luck. but i don't think you'll have much of a chance.

taylorwilsdon
Aug 30, 2007, 01:08 PM
You'll need to basically replace everything. People do build laptops, its not impossible, or you could try to find a donor PC laptop of the same size. Alternatively, get a macbook and shave an inch off and stuff it in the aluminum shell. Nothing old will be compatible with the new so I wouldn't try to save much. The battery (maybe), the screen with a ton of prodding and modding and the input stuff (keyboard, touchpad) might all be salvageable with alot of work but don't bother trying to save the logic board or the brains.

Adokimus
Aug 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
Here was my idea for a "donor PC":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8231193&type=product&id=1167445400785

It has similar enough measurements... do you think I could transfer most of it and connect it to the PB screen, Keyboard, and make it fit to the existing USB holes in the enclosure?

jvencius
Aug 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
... do you think I could transfer most of it and connect it to the PB screen, Keyboard, and make it fit to the existing USB holes in the enclosure?

No.

Adokimus
Aug 30, 2007, 01:27 PM
ok then.

sr5878
Aug 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
cant you just soldier the intel chip on top of the g4 chip?:confused::confused::confused:

:D

PlaceofDis
Aug 30, 2007, 01:35 PM
your best bet would be a macbook.

the powerbook is thicker, but not as wide.

the ports would line up for the most part, but the power connector would be an issue. also i haven't see the internals of a macbook to know how wide the board is so that would maybe require some work.

still would be a bit of work though.

snertdog1
Aug 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
I don't know jack about computers but the Idea seems awsome soo many people want a 12" MBP!

theman
Aug 30, 2007, 04:52 PM
Meh, I'd rather have a 15" Macbook that cost $1500 or so.