PDA

View Full Version : Bringing in Logo to AI

Espnetboy3
Aug 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
Im creating a Tri fold (What fun) and I have finished the layout and text. There are a few logos to bring into it. When I open the file pic and bring it in there is a white box around it. I have went into photoshop to save it with transparency but no luck when I Bring it to AI. The wand tool also in AI isnt selecting the white so i can just delete it. How do I go about bringing in pics and logos? Thanks

tobefirst
Aug 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
You're making the tri-fold in Illustrator? I'm asking because it's not ideal, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done, so I just wanted to make sure. (:

Also, what kind of files are you trying to bring in? Have you tried native photoshop files?

Do you have vector copies of your logos? You *should*, of course, be using those if at all possible.

ChicoWeb
Aug 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
You're making the tri-fold in Illustrator? I'm asking because it's not ideal, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done, so I just wanted to make sure. (:

Also, what kind of files are you trying to bring in? Have you tried native photoshop files?

Do you have vector copies of your logos? You *should*, of course, be using those if at all possible.

Why isn't making a tri-fold in Ill ideal? I make all print stuff in Illustrator? What would you use?

tobefirst
Aug 30, 2007, 03:34 PM
Why isn't making a tri-fold in Ill ideal? I make all print stuff in Illustrator? What would you use?

It is less than ideal for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that you can't have more than one page in a single Illustrator document. (I'm using CS2, perhaps that has changed in CS3.)

A page-layout application should be used. I use InDesign. But Quark could also be used.

JasonElise1983
Aug 30, 2007, 04:41 PM
yeah, i have to agree. Illustrator isn't the best tool for this, but it will work. Illustrator just isn't set up for these kinds of things. It's more designed for...illustration. Where as InDesign/QuarkXpress is designed for page layout. To each his own, but to me, designing something in Illustrator is like laying it out in Photoshop...it just doesn't make sense.

As for the logos, open them up in Photoshop. Double click the "background" layer to make it a normal layer. Select the white space and delete it. Save as PSD. Place in Illustrator.

I will also say, that you should be using Vector logos, ie. .eps or .ai files, but if you don't have them, then you don't have them.

-JE

EDIT: no, CS3 did not ad multiple pages to Illustrator

Espnetboy3
Aug 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
Im going to try that later. Hope it works , thanks. Basically the psd will hold transparency so AI will see it. I know TIFF holds transparency but AI doesnt use TIFFs.

oscuh
Aug 31, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ditto ...

Indesign, et al is for page layout

Illustrator is for creating vector artwork, logos, etc.

Photoshop is for photo manipulation and the like.

Word is for filling disk space :p

Sometimes I'll break the rules a little an use PS to create a poster or something, but only if the effects and techniques I'm using can't easily be replicated in InDesign.

ChicoWeb
Aug 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hrm,
I always assumed those programs were for page layouts, books, publishing, etc. Regardless, I create Everything from brochures to postcards in Illustrator on a regular basis. :D

Espnetboy3
Aug 31, 2007, 05:25 PM
How great would it be for photoshop to become vector based too. Anyways that worked bringing it in as a psd I do have my transparency. Thanks again