PDA

View Full Version : Questions Concerning PowerMacG4 (Digital Audio)

GrimmPenguin
Aug 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
If I was to by chance get one, would it be better to go with a 533MHz Dual Processor or 733MHz model?

Are the graphics cards upgradeable in them? If so, to what? Anything AGP 4X?

Also, I've read that the maximum IDE hard drive size is 128GB. Don't the PowerMacs have Ultra ATA/66 in them? So will this effect me if I want to upgrade with a Ultra ATA/66 hard drive that's above 128GB? I'm a bit confused on this part.

Also a random question to be answered... I've been wondering: Do the metal PowerMacs and the MacPros have a fold down door like all the previous models?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me!

slimp
Aug 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
i think the dual 533 is faster

check http://www.macsales.com/ for video card upgrade options

i have a 733mhz g4, and yes, the max size is 128gb, but there is a solution. i have a 250gb seagate hd thats partioned into 2 125gb hds; in order for this to work, it requires a download of a program whose name i forgot since i did this 2 years ago, sorry that i cant be of any more help

SmurfBoxMasta
Aug 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
No on the fold down case/door. This changed with the introduction of the G5's machined aluminum case.

The 533 DP will definitely be faster, IF you run apps that can utilize 2 cpus.....like....uummmm.....OS X....... and most recent PPC apps :p

They have AGP 4x slots, so just about any of the Radeon cards, and the GeForce MX 2/3/Ti series will work fine (the more vram the better)

To use a HDD over 128Gb, you have the software trick slimp mentioned by slimp (me not comfortable with this one), or the hardware one.....as in a pci controller card.
If you go this route, you may as well move up to SATA and get more spppeeeed as well as unlimited size :)

And IF you do get one of these, or any other G4, be sure to mAxDaRam for best performance !

AlexMaximus
Aug 31, 2007, 08:55 AM
If I was to by chance get one, would it be better to go with a 533MHz Dual Processor or 733MHz model?

Are the graphics cards upgradeable in them? If so, to what? Anything AGP 4X?

Also, I've read that the maximum IDE hard drive size is 128GB. Don't the PowerMacs have Ultra ATA/66 in them? So will this effect me if I want to upgrade with a Ultra ATA/66 hard drive that's above 128GB? I'm a bit confused on this part.

Also a random question to be answered... I've been wondering: Do the metal PowerMacs and the MacPros have a fold down door like all the previous models?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me!

Hi there,

if you are lucky, you may get a quicksilver model for the same price. I would go with one of those. You may even get a nice G4 MDD machine. There you would also have a better CPU upgrades either with the new 7448 chips or the very fast dual 7455 1,3 Gig Dual upgrade with L3 Cache. On the graphic side you can choose a fast Radeon 9800 with 256MB and a fast Raptor SATA 10K drive using an SATA controller card. By using a Radeon 9600 you even can hook up two displays or the 30' Apple. It doesn't smoke a G5 but you would be damn close. No problems with the new iLive or Leopard, velocity graphics - you wouldn't need more.
:apple:

GrimmPenguin
Sep 1, 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the information that you gave me. The only thing... that would hold me back from choosing the 533MHz Dual processor is that the model comes with a Combo Drive, if I'm not mistaken. Is there a way to upgrade that to a SuperDrive for cheap?

MikeL
Sep 2, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah. You just put one in it. Easy as can be.

The DAs were good, quality machines. The last US-built PowerMacs.

GrimmPenguin
Sep 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
Do you know where I could get a DA version of the SuperDrive at? I really don't want to get just any DVD burner.

EDIT: Oh wait... the Disc drives aren't slot loading are they? They just kinda pop out behind that flap door. Am I right?

MikeL
Sep 3, 2007, 05:11 PM
Do you know where I could get a DA version of the SuperDrive at? I really don't want to get just any DVD burner.

EDIT: Oh wait... the Disc drives aren't slot loading are they? They just kinda pop out behind that flap door. Am I right?

You're right. There isn't anything special about them. $30-$40 bucks for a brand new one.

CanadaRAM
Sep 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Simply partitioning the drive into partitions smaller than 128 does not work. It requires some commercial software InTech Hi-Cap or SpeedTools (http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml)

GrimmPenguin
Sep 3, 2007, 07:01 PM
Out of curiosity, what is this? I'm looking at the bay above the dark blue dot on the front. It appears to be taking one of the drive bays. I was thinking it was one of those Zip 250 drives, but I'm not for certain. This is why I was thinking the computer had a slot loading drive.
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g4small.jpg

CanadaRAM
Sep 3, 2007, 07:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what is this? I'm looking at the bay above the dark blue dot on the front. It appears to be taking one of the drive bays. I was thinking it was one of those Zip 250 drives, but I'm not for certain.

Zip 100 or Zip 250. Also known as ded'n'gon

GrimmPenguin
Sep 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
Zip 100 or Zip 250. Also known as ded'n'gon

Thanks!!!:)