PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia to Release iPhone Ringtones Tool (iToner) for Mac

MacRumors
Aug 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Mac software developer Ambrosia (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/) is poised to release their own iPhone Ringtone tool for the Mac (Intel and PPC). The shareware tool is called "iToner" and will allow you to easily sync audio files (MP3, AAC) to your iPhone for use as custom ringtones.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/30/itoner.png

The shareware application is wrapping up beta testing and I've been able to test out a copy and it works quite well.

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/30/ambrosia-to-release-iphone-ringtones-tool-itoner-for-mac/)

kainjow
Aug 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
One has to wonder, are they and Apple working together? How can there be a "proper way" if it isn't documented (unless that's just marketing)?

Once they post a binary, we shall be able to tell what they are doing :)

Canuck4
Aug 30, 2007, 10:51 PM
Good thing they're comming out with a tool for Macs.
The Iphoneringtonemaker has been working great with XP for months now.

chr1s60
Aug 30, 2007, 10:55 PM
This sounds pretty cool, especially if it is done the "right way." The whole reason I don't currently use the hacking software is because I don't want to do a restore for every update. If they aren't working with Apple, i wonder if Apple knows about this and this is the reason Apple may be announcing ringtones next week.

wakka092
Aug 30, 2007, 11:03 PM
I can wait 5 days. :cool:

Telp
Aug 30, 2007, 11:12 PM
This sounds pretty cool, especially if it is done the "right way." The whole reason I don't currently use the hacking software is because I don't want to do a restore for every update. If they aren't working with Apple, i wonder if Apple knows about this and this is the reason Apple may be announcing ringtones next week.

Yes, i agree, and its all very peculiar -puts on spy costume- im gunna figure it out...

Canuck4
Aug 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
We forgot the most important question.
How much? :D

Telp
Aug 30, 2007, 11:33 PM

Not forgot as much as afraid to know....

chr1s60
Aug 30, 2007, 11:37 PM

Perhaps they are waiting to see how much Apple is gonna charge before they set a price.

Telp
Aug 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
Perhaps they are waiting to see how much Apple is gonna charge before they set a price.

Good point, ive never had to pay for a ringtone so that sucks :(

MacFanboy.Grady
Aug 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
I dont understand people are making these shareware programs. I've been using ifuntastic & garage band to make my own awesome ringtones and uploading them to my phone.

Telp
Aug 30, 2007, 11:50 PM
I dont understand people are making these shareware programs. I've been using ifuntastic & garage band to make my own awesome ringtones and uploading them to my phone.

Yes, but apparently, this way isnt hacking them on. Its for those more faint of heart.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 12:44 AM

Sure, but the "iFuntastic" method is neither fantastic, nor particularly fun (it's actually rather painful)... and your ringtones also get wiped out by iPhone OS updates. While that may be fine for you, for most people, not so much.

We're well aware that Apple will have their own solution for ringtones built into iTunes at some point. It may be next week, or it may not... but if their solution is limited to songs you purchase on the iTunes Music store, I think that won't really fulfill everyone's needs.

Plus we have other plans beyond iToner for the technology. Expect to see it sooner rather than later. ;)

xentrik
Aug 31, 2007, 01:26 AM
Sure, but the "iFuntastic" method is neither fantastic, nor particularly fun (it's actually rather painful)... and your ringtones also get wiped out by iPhone OS updates. While that may be fine for you, for most people, not so much.

We're well aware that Apple will have their own solution for ringtones built into iTunes at some point. It may be next week, or it may not... but if their solution is limited to songs you purchase on the iTunes Music store, I think that won't really fulfill everyone's needs.

Plus we have other plans beyond iToner for the technology. Expect to see it sooner rather than later. ;)

Wow, MacFanboy.Grady gets pwned by the Ambrosia Presidente!

Anywhoo, just saying that there will finally be a Mac alternative to Efiko's iPhone RingToneMaker... but with software like this, I just can't help but press the question: How, if not exactly, do you get ringtones on the iPhone other than by "jailbreaking" it? RingToneMaker and iToner are innovations that claim not to do this. In a sense, it is good... but as an iPhone owner, I would like to know a little more about how this process is done. It might just be me, however, since this process looks too good to be true.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 01:34 AM
Wow, MacFanboy.Grady gets pwned by the Ambrosia Presidente!

Anywhoo, just saying that there will finally be a Mac alternative to Efiko's iPhone RingToneMaker... but with software like this, I just can't help but press the question: How, if not exactly, do you get ringtones on the iPhone other than by "jailbreaking" it? RingToneMaker and iToner are innovations that claim not to do this. In a sense, it is good... but as an iPhone owner, I would like to know a little more about how this process is done. It might just be me, however, since this process looks too good to be true.

It's not too good to be true. Apple designed the iPhone to be able to handle ringtones, both in system-wide permanent ringtones, and also user-added ringtones. So the iPhone itself supports the ability, you just need to figure out the proper way to get those ringtones onto the iPhone.

The "jailbreak" technique is the equivalent of smacking the iPhone open with a hammer. Sure, it works, but it's a bit messy and heavy-handed. The technique we use involves no code being placed on the iPhone, no impact on the device when you update the OS... it just works.

But you needn't take my word for it, like all of our software, you'll be able to try it out before you decide whether you like it or not. Hopefully you'll be able to try it out real soon, too. :)

slidingjon
Aug 31, 2007, 05:37 AM
I personally would love custom ringtones while maintaining my warranty.

NYCAVS
Aug 31, 2007, 06:59 AM
It's not too good to be true. Apple designed the iPhone to be able to handle ringtones, both in system-wide permanent ringtones, and also user-added ringtones. So the iPhone itself supports the ability, you just need to figure out the proper way to get those ringtones onto the iPhone.

The "jailbreak" technique is the equivalent of smacking the iPhone open with a hammer. Sure, it works, but it's a bit messy and heavy-handed. The technique we use involves no code being placed on the iPhone, no impact on the device when you update the OS... it just works.

But you needn't take my word for it, like all of our software, you'll be able to try it out before you decide whether you like it or not. Hopefully you'll be able to try it out real soon, too. :)

Price?

fixyourthinking
Aug 31, 2007, 07:24 AM
I would imagine that's gonna depend on how much Apple is about to charge for the service/feature ... I think it's almost a given that Sept 5th will reveal a pretty major iPhone software update/iTunes update that will include this feature.

fastbite
Aug 31, 2007, 07:57 AM
This could be cool, then again I never understood the obsession with ring tones...

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 08:21 AM
It'll be $15, try before you buy as usual. What it does is it will allow you to use the fully functional product, but the more times you Sync your custom ringtones, the longer you have to wait.

It's a pretty fair way to let you try the product out fully, while still incentive-izing you to buy it if you'll actually use it.

dr_lha
Aug 31, 2007, 08:58 AM
This could be cool, then again I never understood the obsession with ring tones...
Yeah, screw ring tones - I just want to change the SMS alert sound to something... you know... audible?

plumbingandtech
Aug 31, 2007, 10:19 AM
Answered.

GTiPhone
Aug 31, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, screw ring tones - I just want to change the SMS alert sound to something... you know... audible?

This can already be done. Its called iFuntastic and it works better right now than anything Apple will release over the next two years.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 10:44 AM
iToner 1.0.0 has been released:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

...enjoy. :)

Skystar
Aug 31, 2007, 10:48 AM
iToner 1.0.0 has been released:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

...enjoy. :)

Wow, that was fast. Too bad I don't have my mac at work.. :mad:

Bernie-Mac
Aug 31, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ill stick to ifuntastic thank you

Cybergypsy
Aug 31, 2007, 11:06 AM
works great!!!!

nevesis
Aug 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
CUSTOM RINGTONES FTW!!!

This is almost too easy, the excitement for waiting about Apple's rumored ringtone annoucement has faded now. I have all the custom ringtones ive ever wanted.

Kudos to the developers over at Ambrosia for developing a beautiful, easy to use, custom ringtone application.

:)

Cybergypsy
Aug 31, 2007, 11:24 AM
super mac program....oh yea!!!

AJsAWiz
Aug 31, 2007, 11:31 AM
This can already be done. Its called iFuntastic and it works better right now than anything Apple will release over the next two years.

Actually Apple will be offering ringtones in the iTunes store, on September 5th I believe.

Bernie-Mac
Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes but iFuntastic is simple, effective, oh and i forgot...free :)

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 11:50 AM
Yes but iFuntastic is simple, effective, oh and i forgot...free :)

Well, I disagree... it's not exactly simple. Certainly you can get it to work, but it's rather a PITA... and also the hacks it uses to do its thing is just not something that I care to subject my iPhone to. The fact that changes I make get wiped out with OS updates is not fun either.

That being said, different strokes for different folks. If you are happy with iFuntastic, more power to you. I agree, you certainly can't beat "free"... :)

LSK6453
Aug 31, 2007, 02:17 PM
Works like a champion.

I will be purchasing.

Thank you

drewfus
Aug 31, 2007, 03:57 PM
wow, this is awesome!! Thanks Ambrosia!

Now...does anyone happen to have a sound file of just a simple ring...akin to the ring that the iPhone uses in the commercials?