PDA

View Full Version : Networking an old Power Mac 6100/60

macdad
Aug 12, 2003, 06:55 AM
I have an old 6100/60 running os 7.1.2 and I'm trying to add it to my home PC network using the built in ethernet card, transceiver and a Netgear router.

First problem I have is that the router doesn't recognise the mac on the network - I've just connected all the cables so far, don't know if I need to do any software configuration on the mac.

What do I need to do to get connected to the home network?

The end goal is to upload a browser and use the mac as an internet browser, mail and messaging machine for the kids.

Vlade
Aug 12, 2003, 10:05 AM
Wrong Forum....

Try going to TCP/IP control panel, change it to Ethernet, and then choose DHCP mode.

familyte
Sep 7, 2003, 09:26 PM
Wrong Forum.... Lighten Up... This is a question for the squids. I thought my 5 year old had it rough having to puts along with a performa 6400 and OS 8. My advice don't spend another dime on the box. If money is an issue, get a used iMac or G3, work on OS IX or X, If you go with OSX, also put that machine to work as folding machine. (yea!)

If that is not possible, the 6100 as a web / mail machine should be ok, its just been a long time since I've seen os 7.1 (kinda forget what the pre classic was like)

Web surfing with Safari or using Macs Mail of OS X just works great! Don't forget about the folding. Good luck!

bertinman
Sep 8, 2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by familyte
quote from vlade

I didn't sense any hard feelings... and he did give a little advice.

also, i also suggest getting a g3 cheap. if there is a university near you they usually have a "barn" full of old electronic stuff (or it is by the dumpsters) for cheap. Beige G3's were common all of last year.

Plutronics
Sep 8, 2003, 11:20 AM
e-Bay Has Blue and White G3s for as low as $200. I wouldn't buy older than a B&W. It will run Jaguar and Panther etc.
Has Firewire/USB (and an ADB) , everything one could want.

familyte
Sep 8, 2003, 04:21 PM
Try going to TCP/IP control panel, change it to Ethernet, and then choose DHCP mode.
Excellent advice, and agreed this person posted in the wrong forum. But, while we have their attention, its my thinking that a teaspoon of sugar can go further than a five pound mallet. Or in other words introduce them to a positive world of the folding community.

Thanks, In the name of the Squids! :D

Vlade
Sep 9, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
Wrong Forum....

Sorry if that was too harsh:o, Welcome to the folding forum :)

familyte
Sep 10, 2003, 02:12 PM
There's the spirit, Keep up the folding.