Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakTornado

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
Will Final Cut Studio 2 run on a new 20" 2.4ghz iMac?

I recently purchased one (It's not yet shipped, though) and I was wondering if it would.

If not, I'll get Final Cut Express (If that will run...), but will it run Studio 2 as I would rather get the Pro version because it would me more useful to become familiar with, seeing as though I would like to one day have a career in that field of work...

BlakTornado

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
it should run with the exception of color not sure about that, but i would recommend upping the RAM to 2 gigs if not more. Did you get the stock video card?

Yeah. I'm not sure if they offer a different video card. But I will be upgrading my RAM after I buy (And can afford). I just don't want to spend another £150 on buying 2GB Apple RAM when I could get 4GB crucial for the same price.

I looked but there was no mention of the newest video card from the 2.4ghz 20" iMac... or the other new C2D iMacs (Not sure about the 2.8Ghz 24" - never looked into it)

Thanks for your help

Audioslave

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
It will run fine! I use Final Cut Pro on my 1,67 ghz Powerbook G4, so the iMac should have no problem with it. Im actually getting a new iMac 24" for HD-editing. Of course the Mac Pro would be better, but I dont have the $ right now. Not sure about Motion and Color, but if you dont plan on rendering the next Matrix the iMac is powerful enough for that too. Just check the recommended configurations.

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
It will run like butter on the new iMacs! Even Motion and Color. I have the new 20" iMac but dont have FC Studio 2 but have used it on the iMacs at the :apple: store. I would recomend upgrading to 3 gigs of ram. That seems to be the sweet spot for the new iMacs. You can upgrade to 4 gigs but it's not that big of an increase in performance. But the more ram the better! Especially for programs like Motion and Color which are processor and RAM intensive.

divedude

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2007
The specs say to run COLOR, a 24" iMac with Intel Core Duo is required. I had a private demo at the Apple store today to make sure the 24" would handle my HD video. I was impressed with the layers it could handle, including MOTION. All played in real time on a 2.4 CPU with 3 GB of memory. I plan to order the 2.8 and up it to 4GB of memory.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
The specs say to run COLOR, a 24" iMac with Intel Core Duo is required. I had a private demo at the Apple store today to make sure the 24" would handle my HD video. I was impressed with the layers it could handle, including MOTION. All played in real time on a 2.4 CPU with 3 GB of memory. I plan to order the 2.8 and up it to 4GB of memory.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

That doesnt make since. You can use a 17 inch MacBook Pro, but you can't use a faster 20" iMac? The inards of a 2.4 20" are the same as a 2.4 24" except for the screen of course. And also look at this:

The standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, 17-inch MacBook Pro, 24-inch iMac with Intel Core Duo, or 2.5GHz or faster Power Mac G5 Quad:
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
ATI Radeon X1600
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, 7600 GT, 7300 GT, 6600, or Quadro FX 4500
A display with 1680-by-1050 resolution or higher
A three-button mouse for full functionality

Thats the native res for the 20".....I dunno, i think it should still work. I could of sworn i was using a 20" at the apple store using color. oh well...... i could be wrong.....

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
can someone confirm running color on the 20" imacs. I have the last rev imac C2D and might upgrade to FCS2

MacMuppet

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
London, UK
The standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, 17-inch MacBook Pro, 24-inch iMac with Intel Core Duo, or 2.5GHz or faster Power Mac G5 Quad:
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
ATI Radeon X1600
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, 7600 GT, 7300 GT, 6600, or Quadro FX 4500
A display with 1680-by-1050 resolution or higher
A three-button mouse for full functionality

Thats the native res for the 20".....I dunno, i think it should still work. I could of sworn i was using a 20" at the apple store using color. oh well...... i could be wrong.....

I've been sniffing around an Apple store recently because I'd quite like to upgrade to an iMac (currently Mac Mini 1.33GHz PPC) with a view to purchasing FCS2. The store has the 20" 2.4GHz and the 24" and the 20"/2.4GHz has FCS2 with Color/Colour and Motion.

I'm torn between getting the 20"/2GHz model and filling that with 4GB of RAM or the 20"/2.4GHz with no extra RAM for the near/medium term future (either option would also have me buying a FW800 ext hard drive)

I'm gravitating towards the 20"/2GHz/4GB RAM providing it could handle
FCS2. I'm rather assuming it can.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
More than fine. I was using it on an old Core Duo 2.16 laptop and it was great. Up the RAM as much as you can, min 2GB, 4GB is $250 (or less) from a third party vendor such as OWC. Beware though that Sound Track Pro 2 is prone to crashing and Color is not user friendly. Motion and Live Type have a bit of a learning curve. Just want you to know what your getting in to.

indirectintent

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
I have a slightly older 20", with a 2.16 ghz processor, 2GB RAM, and the ATI Radeon 1600X card. How much of FCS2 would I be able to run? I really only NEED to run Final Cut Pro 6, but I'd like to know as much as I can.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I have a slightly older 20", with a 2.16 ghz processor, 2GB RAM, and the ATI Radeon 1600X card. How much of FCS2 would I be able to run? I really only NEED to run Final Cut Pro 6, but I'd like to know as much as I can.

You'll be fine. Final Cut has options to run at lower resolutions or with less realtime effects if your processor can't handle it. Alsp. HD is much more demanding, so if you've got regular DV footage, great. You'd be okay with many flavors of HD too though. You only might get a bit stuck with color and motion -- but you might be able to fiddle aorund a bit. Check apples website for minimum requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.