PDA

View Full Version : iToner 1.0 Released

MacRumors
Aug 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As it turns out, Ambrosia has just released iToner 1.0 (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner/), their iPhone ringtone tool which we detailed yesterday (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/30/ambrosia-to-release-iphone-ringtones-tool-itoner-for-mac/).
iToner enables you to quickly transfer custom ringtones for your iPhone - without modifying, hacking or having to reset your iPhone. Simply drag and drop your MP3 or AAC audio files on iToner's window, click the Sync button, and you're done! Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates.

The shareware application costs $15 but provides a fully functional demo.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/31/itoner-1-0-released/)

Buschmaster
Aug 31, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ambrosia is really good with their shareware.

I'm looking forward to trying this program when I get my iPhone!

chr1s60
Aug 31, 2007, 11:59 AM
It appears that you can use it as much as you want for 30 days before you need to purchase it. I have already tried and it worked very well. simply drag the file you want, hit sync, and you are done.

Cybergypsy
Aug 31, 2007, 12:01 PM
works perfect and has a awesome look :)

kildjean
Aug 31, 2007, 12:05 PM
Damn but $15 bucks for thAT? sounds too pricey for me... $9 bucks sounds a better price or even $5 if its all it does... but $15 no way... i'll wait for the alternate version... aka torrent

Flowbee
Aug 31, 2007, 12:13 PM
Works great... even with protected songs from the iTunes store.

jsinger986
Aug 31, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ok, how were they able to do this and nobody else has something like it? Other ringtone methods required hacking.

Flowbee
Aug 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
Damn but $15 bucks for thAT? sounds too pricey for me... $9 bucks sounds a better price or even $5 if its all it does... but $15 no way... i'll wait for the alternate version... aka torrent

Or maybe you could write your own ringtone software. :rolleyes:

metanoia
Aug 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
I bet it does the jailbreak, but completely transparently to the user... thus appearing less "hackish" than iFuntastic.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 12:17 PM

Or you could just not rip off the software if you decide not to pay for it.

Sigh... sad.

I bet it does the jailbreak, but completely transparently to the user... thus appearing less "hackish" than iFuntastic.

That is incorrect. It does not do "jailbreak" at all... we would not have released the application at all if we had to go that route.

Any OS updates to the iPhone also will not cause you to lose your custom ringtones either, something that can't be said for other methods of putting custom ringtones on your iPhone.

LimeiBook86
Aug 31, 2007, 12:20 PM
Wow this works great! :)

It's very simple. Either drag in a file to use as a ringtone, or just choose a playlist to use. So easy! As Jobs would say, "Boom... Boom!" :D

It's quick too, only taking a second to transfer! (Oh and they show up in your Alarm clock to just if you were wondering)

nevesis
Aug 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
That is incorrect. It does not do "jailbreak" at all... we would not have released the application at all if we had to go that route.

Any OS updates to the iPhone also will not cause you to lose your custom ringtones either, something that can't be said for other methods of putting custom ringtones on your iPhone.

It works beautifully! Thank you for this, $15 more in your favor ;) :apple:

NewSc2
Aug 31, 2007, 12:23 PM
Or you could just not rip off the software if you decide not to pay for it.

Sigh... sad.

Seriously... why tell everybody on a public forum your illegal intentions.

rkelez
Aug 31, 2007, 12:27 PM
Now that worked perfectly. I'm obviously going to wait to see what black sweater and blue jeans says on the 5th, but if he lets me down its 15 to them. Wonder how they can do it so easy when this is the one piece of software every dev should have been on since release?

Small White Car
Aug 31, 2007, 12:31 PM

Good for you! I've got some friends that need help from someone with this sort of 'can-do' attitude. I'm guessing you're just the person they're looking for:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/30/third_apple_retail_store_burglarize_this_month.html

LimeiBook86
Aug 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
Now that worked perfectly. I'm obviously going to wait to see what black sweater and blue jeans says on the 5th, but if he lets me down its 15 to them.

Exactly, that's the only reason I'm waiting. Just to see what Jobs says, maybe this will change their mind of charging you per song. Only time will tell. :rolleyes:

But thanks Ambrosia Software! ;)

(Just FYI, each time you sync more ringtones through the trial the "waiting" time goes up it seems.)

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 12:34 PM
Now that worked perfectly. I'm obviously going to wait to see what black sweater and blue jeans says on the 5th, but if he lets me down its 15 to them. Wonder how they can do it so easy when this is the one piece of software every dev should have been on since release?

Making it look easy is always the hard part. ;)

I think many developers are afraid to invest the effort because they are worried Apple will steamroll them. This is a very real fear; it's likely that Apple will at some point soon (perhaps next week) announce ringtone support in iTunes.

We're betting that they will charge for it, because of their contracts with AT&T (they likely have a revenue sharing model for ringtone sales). However if we're wrong, and they make a great general-purpose ringtone program that works with any audio files (purchased or not), then we wasted our time.

Many developers don't want to risk it; and I can understand that. We have other cool ideas of what to do with the technology, though, so it's not the end of the world if Apple worst-cases us.

NewSc2
Aug 31, 2007, 12:39 PM
Does anybody know a good source for non-song ringtones? Sound effects, other rings, etc.?

Flowbee
Aug 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
Now that worked perfectly. I'm obviously going to wait to see what black sweater and blue jeans says on the 5th, but if he lets me down its 15 to them.

I'm paying the $15 today. Sure, there may be cheaper options down the road, but Ambrosia deserves an extra couple of bucks for being the first ones out with such a simple solution. (And I don't think Apple will offer one of the cheaper solutions).

mashinhead
Aug 31, 2007, 12:46 PM
This is very good as are all ambrosia products. But i think something's lacking. This isn't the answer to this problem. If you upload a ringtone song it obviously takes up more space on the phone. The solution to me should be software that's integrated into the phone and uses the music you have on the phone to make a ringtone. For example i now have the same song on the phone twice, taking up twice as much space. Where as i can can have one file that has two functions (logical) i have two files with two functions. Anyone else agree?

NewSc2
Aug 31, 2007, 12:50 PM
This is very good as are all ambrosia products. But i think something's lacking. This isn't the answer to this problem. If you upload a ringtone song it obviously takes up more space on the phone. The solution to me should be software that's integrated into the phone and uses the music you have on the phone to make a ringtone. For example i now have the same song on the phone twice, taking up twice as much space. Where as i can can have one file that has two functions (logical) i have two files with two functions. Anyone else agree?

I think even if Apple introduces a ringtone feature, it would have separate ringtone and song files. You don't need a ringtone to ring for 3+ min., and telling the iPhone which parts to play just seems like it'd be a more complicated workaround than uploading a snippet of a song.

MarceePauff
Aug 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
Woowoo, you made it to Yahoo!News (via MacWorld):
http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20070831/tc_macworld/itoner20070831_0

I hope you make big $$$! I'll probably be donating tonight. :)

Thanks moki!

Canuck4
Aug 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
Lol :D
So in other words you'll download it illegally thru a torrent cause you dont want to pay $6 over what you think it should cost.

Nope, most phones work like that where itunes/music is seperated from ringtones.
Why you worry about space? How much room would a 20-30 second mp3 would take out of an 8 gig drive? Not much at all.

The solution to me should be software that's integrated into the phone and uses the music you have on the phone to make a ringtone. For example i now have the same song on the phone twice, taking up twice as much space. Where as i can can have one file that has two functions (logical) i have two files with two functions. Anyone else agree?

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 01:04 PM
Does anybody know a good source for non-song ringtones? Sound effects, other rings, etc.?

We have some pretty cool plans for future versions of iToner, which include (but are definitely not limited to) licensing some really sweet ringtones. Stay tuned, 1.0 is just a stake in the ground. :)

TitoC
Aug 31, 2007, 01:05 PM
Just downloaded it. It works great! Another great idea/product from Ambrosia! Rock on moki!!! Now all we need is a built-in editing feature so we don't have to upload an entire song, but that's nit-picking at this point. Great work! Can't believe how simple it was . . . and all without hacking, my favorite part.

s8film40
Aug 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
What formats does this accept. I tried dragging audio files in and it doesn't work.

chr1s60
Aug 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
We have some pretty cool plans for future versions of iToner, which include (but are definitely not limited to) licensing some really sweet ringtones. Stay tuned, 1.0 is just a stake in the ground. :)

It would also be nice if you could include a clipping tool so we can select what part of a song we want within iToner instead of having to do it elsewhere.

Once again, I think this is the best ringtone option out there, miles ahead of any of the other programs. If I don't like what I hear on the 5th, you will be getting my $15 along with the countless dollars from people I will and already have recommended this to.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Just downloaded it. It works great! Another great idea/product from Ambrosia! Rock on moki!!! Now all we need is a built-in editing feature so we don't have to upload an entire song, but that's nit-picking at this point. Great work! Can't believe how simple it was . . . and all without hacking, my favorite part.

Yeah we will likely have an editor, and Bluetooth support for non-iPhones, and other obvious features in future versions!

Glad you're enjoying iToner... we wanted to make it ridiculously simple to use. It probably looks too easy actually. :)

What formats does this accept. I tried dragging audio files in and it doesn't work.

The iPhone really only supports MP3 and AAC files for ringtones. *some* .wav files and *some* .aiff files work too, but we decided to filter out everything other than AAC and MP3 to make sure nothing can go wrong for the user.

We don't transcode the files in 1.0; it's something we can consider for future versions, though. That would allow us to support any core audio format, whether the iPhone supported it or not.

mactree
Aug 31, 2007, 01:38 PM
This is an amazing app guys, well done!

edit: I love how you even implemented the same type of scrolling as the iphone uses :)

sumisu3
Aug 31, 2007, 01:56 PM
Now that was the absolutely easiest installation of ringtones ever! Very sweet!!

I've done the jailbreak thing for changing my Calendar Alerts, New Mail, etc. but if iToner could allow customization of those too it would be way cool - even if it didn't survive updates.

TitoC
Aug 31, 2007, 03:03 PM
I love how Andrew Welch, the President of Ambrosia software, is hanging out in the MacRumors forum answering questions, giving out advice, comments, etc. It says a lot about Macrumors as well as Ambrosia.

Now if only Steve would drop on by . . . . .

MacUser4_20
Aug 31, 2007, 03:34 PM
If we buy now will the activation code work with future upgrade releases?

The iPhone really only supports MP3 and AAC files for ringtones. *some* .wav files and *some* .aiff files work too, but we decided to filter out everything other than AAC and MP3 to make sure nothing can go wrong for the user.

We don't transcode the files in 1.0; it's something we can consider for future versions, though. That would allow us to support any core audio format, whether the iPhone supported it or not.

Insatiable
Aug 31, 2007, 04:00 PM

http://www.findsounds.com/

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know what happens to the ringtones after the 30 day trial?

You can always edit it yourself in garageband or something.

sJv
Aug 31, 2007, 04:21 PM
Nope, most phones work like that where itunes/music is seperated from ringtones.
Why you worry about space? How much room would a 20-30 second mp3 would take out of an 8 gig drive? Not much at all.

Exactly, and it could even be transcoded to a much lower mono bit rate since it will mainly be played through the built in speaker.

We have other cool ideas of what to do with the technology, though, so it's not the end of the world if Apple worst-cases us.

moki/Andrew, if you were able to figure out a way to put ringtones on the iPhone (which are files after all) without jailbreak, then you certainly developed an interesting piece of technology that could perhaps be used to install apps and other things? Way to go!

-steve

iJames
Aug 31, 2007, 05:00 PM

Yeah, Captain Hector flies onto the iPhone and blows up your ringtones.....lol, EV Nova rocks...

Hey, el presidente, will Ambrosia try and do any games for the iPhone, I don't expect a Nova port, but DefCon would be cool on it...

Thanks...

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, Captain Hector flies onto the iPhone and blows up your ringtones.....lol, EV Nova rocks...

Hey, el presidente, will Ambrosia try and do any games for the iPhone, I don't expect a Nova port, but DefCon would be cool on it...

Thanks...

...That isnt really a lot of help. Do they dissapear or are they on there for good?

gceo
Aug 31, 2007, 05:11 PM

Beat it punk. Stealing from record labels is one thing... but from DEVELOPERS is quite another.... Ambrosia FIXED something that Apple didn't do right the first time, and that's how you thank them.

LAME LAME LAME LAME

You can afford a $600 phone, but say that $15 is too much so lower it by $6... weirdo.

I'm happy to send the payment in. Shoots, I'll even send your in.

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'm happy to send the payment in. Shoots, I'll even send your in.

Wanna send my payment in too ;);):p:p:D:D

CMTobin
Aug 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
This is so darn simple and effective it's ridiculous, and it works for those of us with PPC too... I love it, editor would be nice, but love it!

I would easily pay $15 if I knew that apple wasn't going to figure out a way to cut them out, or that apple wasn't going to release their own version in a short time...

Guess I'll wait out the trial period and see what happens.

paulyras
Aug 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
Anyone else having problems with the iToner website? Please tell me it didn't get pulled....

sfinnerty
Aug 31, 2007, 06:16 PM

I was searching around for a easy way to make ringtones and found the below through a google search. Basically all you have to do is go into iTunes, right click on a song, select "Get Info", then "Options". In "Options" you can set where you want your clip to start and stop. Then you simply select "convert selection to MP3" and you should see your partial song show up in iTunes. I then dragged it to the desktop and used iToner to import it into my iPhone. Sounded great and was about 20% of the size of the original song.

Of course, this got me beat by the wife since the ringtone I made was based on the Imperial March (i.e Darth Vaders song). You know whose ringtone that was set to....:D

Later,

Fin

benspratling
Aug 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
So sometimes iToner ringtones work and other times, they don't. I recorded my roommate saying it was him calling and put the sound file on the phone with iToner. The result was that when my friend called, the phone displayed his picture, gave NO sound, and froze (it didn't respond to touch and the Star Trek Viewscreen-like moving lights behind "slide to answer" stopped moving).

Then I tried calling from my home phone. Worked fine! Also, another friend of mine called from his cell and it did not ring at all. The sounds have worked with both my alarm clocks and timer. I don't know if this is a cell thing, or what, so I tried testing from my home phone again, this time it started to work, played a few notes, then the phone went to sleep.

So this iToner thing, might need a little tweaking before it works right, or does the fact that my ringtone is 36 seconds make a problem?

Tested it again, and it worked fine. Hmmm...

Skystar
Aug 31, 2007, 06:27 PM

You can also use audacity to edit the files. I usually edit my tones to about 25 seconds, and add a fade out. This way the whole tone plays out right before voicemail picks up.

MadDog31
Aug 31, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah we will likely have an editor, and Bluetooth support for non-iPhones, and other obvious features in future versions!

Glad you're enjoying iToner... we wanted to make it ridiculously simple to use. It probably looks too easy actually. :)

PC support? You'd do awesome by doing that. Plus I could play along. :-\

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 08:04 PM
If we buy now will the activation code work with future upgrade releases?

Yes, it will work fine.

Nothing happens to the ringtones. Once you put them on your phone, they are on your phone.

PC support? You'd do awesome by doing that. Plus I could play along. :-\

That's possible... we shall see. I must catch a plane home from Japan now... enjoy iToner!

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 08:37 PM
Nothing happens to the ringtones. Once you put them on your phone, they are on your phone.

So if i decide i want them gone i need to buy the program to delete them? Nice marketing guys. Props.

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 08:41 PM
So if i decide i want them gone i need to buy the program to delete them? Nice marketing guys. Props.

No... you can use iToner fully functional without purchasing it, there's just a slight delay before syncing it if you're unregistered.

So you can just delete any ringtones you don't want on there without paying for the product.

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 08:45 PM
No... you can use iToner fully functional without purchasing it, there's just a slight delay before syncing it if you're unregistered.

So you can just delete any ringtones you don't want on there without paying for the product.

Yeah, but once the trial is over with...? What happens then? Are the ringtones kept on the phone? or are they specially encoded or w.e. to dissapear when the trial is over?

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, but once the trial is over with...? What happens then? Are the ringtones kept on the phone? or are they specially encoded or w.e. to dissapear when the trial is over?

Once the trial is over, the ringtones stay on your iPhone; they are not specially encoded. So someone who just wanted one ringtone for their iPhone could use iToner to transfer that ringtone, never pay for iToner, and their custom ringtone would work in perpetuity.

But even with the trial period being over, you can *still* use iToner to delete the ringtones from your iPhone.

I hope this answers your questions? I just wanted to make it clear that there's no attempt to lock anyone into buying iToner. That's slimy; we don't do slimy. :)

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 08:58 PM
Once the trial is over, the ringtones stay on your iPhone; they are not specially encoded. So someone who just wanted one ringtone for their iPhone could use iToner to transfer that ringtone, never pay for iToner, and their custom ringtone would work in perpetuity.

But even with the trial period being over, you can *still* use iToner to delete the ringtones from your iPhone.

I hope this answers your questions? I just wanted to make it clear that there's no attempt to lock anyone into buying iToner. That's slimy; we don't do slimy. :)

That does in fact answer my question. I really just wanted to know what happened to the ringtones after the trial, and you answered it. Thanks, this is really great software, i congratulate you and your team on this. The interface is very nice and easy to use, and i see it doing very well.

sblasl
Aug 31, 2007, 09:15 PM
Any chance that you will incorporate a ringtone editor that will allow us to take an audio file and crop it to make the actual ringtone? There really isn't a good program dedicated for that purpose. I really don't like Fission.

Nice job to you guys, thanks!

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 09:20 PM
Any chance that you will incorporate a ringtone editor that will allow us to take an audio file and crop it to make the actual ringtone? There really isn't a good program dedicated for that purpose. I really don't like Fission.

Nice job to you guys, thanks!

Cant you just throw it into garageband and do it that way?

sblasl
Aug 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
Are you using an iPhone while in Japan?

...I must catch a plane home from Japan now... enjoy iToner!

Wyvernspirit
Aug 31, 2007, 09:23 PM
Just wanted to post a "me too" post. I think I will wait till this Sept 5 event to see what happens, but if it doesn't have what I am looking for one way or another, I will purchase this program as it seems to give me at least something of what I am looking for.

Out..

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 09:24 PM
Just wanted to post a "me too" post. I think I will wait till this Sept 5 event to see what happens, but if it doesn't have what I am looking for one way or another, I will purchase this program as it seems to give me at least something of what I am looking for.

Out..

What doesnt it have that you are looking for?

sblasl
Aug 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
I want a dedicated ringtone app or an extension to iToner. Have no need for GB. GB, just like Fission can do the job but that is not it's real purpose, I want the app to have one specific purpose and do it very well.

Cant you just throw it into garageband and do it that way?

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 09:31 PM
I want a dedicated ringtone app or an extension to iToner. Have no need for GB. GB, just like Fission can do the job but that is not it's real purpose, I want the app to have one specific purpose and do it very well.

Oh, well, i dont see it as a big deal, but however you feel.

segfaultdotorg
Aug 31, 2007, 09:40 PM
iToner? Did I miss the much-awaited return of Apple to the printer market?

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 09:51 PM

Yep, I think I mentioned elsewhere in the thread that we have plans for an editor, Bluetooth support (for other phones), and other cool features for iToner! :)

Are you using an iPhone while in Japan?

Well, I have the iPhone here, and everyone seems to drool over it, but I get "no service" even in Tokyo. Works great on the wireless networks, though.

Despite what you read, while they have a great 3G and even 3.5G network in Japan, it's very under-utilized (very similar in England and Europe too). The only high bandwidth application most people use on their phones here is watching TV shows.

While they have a ridiculous variety of phones here to choose from, the phones also are not particularly impressive. The most elegant phone I've seen to my eye here is oddly the Motorola RAZR (which has the world's worst cell phone software coupled with very nice hardware).

The phones that seem most popular here are surprisingly bulky, but perhaps they are popular because they come cheaply with a cell phone contract. The single most popular use for cellphones in Japan seems to be text messaging, which seems... ironic. :)

I can see the iPhone doing extremely well in Japan, they just need it to be 3G, and they should get it out sooner rather than later.

the1andonlytip
Aug 31, 2007, 09:55 PM
Very pleased with the demo and will def be purchasing! Im very impressed with how easy it is too!

Telp
Aug 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yep, I think I mentioned elsewhere in the thread that we have plans for an editor, Bluetooth support (for other phones), and other cool features for iToner! :)

Bluetooth support would be awesome. Not for the iphone though? or can you get past that too?

Wyvernspirit
Aug 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
What doesnt it have that you are looking for?

Well at the moment editing capabilities. But some of what I would like otherwise would be done via something like iFuntastic, but I don't want to unleash that on my pre..um..iPhone. :D iToner seems to give me the ringtone addition, but I am not likely to add many so I definitely want to wait to see what apple does. I am likely only to want to put on one or two now and maybe one or two throughout the year. Even @ $2 per if that is indeed the price from apple, we are looking at $8 and maybe I splurge and go with 5 (the amount I put on my last phone over 2 years and one was a mistake) its still only $10 spread out over a year or two. And, No, I am not saying iToner is too expensive, I think its a good price from a company I respect. Just not absolutely sure it will fit this "need" best for me.

Also what I would like is to be able to add application to the iPhone along with some interface tweaks. Again I realize there are ways out there to do this and other things, just not in the way i am willing to try at this time. Get back to me in about two years. ;)

anyway, out...

moki
Aug 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
iToner 1.0.0 is a stake in the ground; we do intend to continue to improve and enhance the product. The goal for 1.0.0 was simply to have a very easy to use custom ringtone application.

We'll do more with it... though sometimes really easy to use, no-headache applications are worth more than feature-creeping hard to use products. Keep the suggestions coming! :)

Wyvernspirit
Aug 31, 2007, 10:33 PM
iToner 1.0.0 is a stake in the ground; we do intend to continue to improve and enhance the product. The goal for 1.0.0 was simply to have a very easy to use custom ringtone application.

We'll do more with it... though sometimes really easy to use, no-headache applications are worth more than feature-creeping hard to use products. Keep the suggestions coming! :)

I think you should try to keep it simple and only add a few "necessary" features. I will not try to tell you what those are, though a simple "editor" might likely be something to think about, and I think you mentioned something along the lines of special non music ringtones. There are too many pieces of software out there that people only use 10% of what they do and complain when they can't do something the software actually does but is hard to find.

Not sure if i said that right, but hopefully you get my thought process.

Out...

badtz
Aug 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
Is it just me ... but .... I'm UNABLE to drag songs right out of iTunes onto the iToner interface?

I have to drag the song out of iTunes onto the desktop first, then into the interface.

[this is for manually syncing music]

paulyras
Sep 1, 2007, 01:09 AM
My $15 will be coming in the next day or so. Fantastic job. I'll gladly take this option over any per song model through iTunes.

Now if only I could have video ringtones with episodes of The Off... Doh!

paulyras
Sep 1, 2007, 01:14 AM
Is it just me ... but .... I'm UNABLE to drag songs right out of iTunes onto the iToner interface?

I have to drag the song out of iTunes onto the desktop first, then into the interface.

I believe that is true, but you can go to your itunes music directory and pull them in individually, without pulling them from itunes to the desktop and then to iTuner.

Do note though that, under advanced, you can set it to sync a specific playlist, which should be just as good (In my opinion. At least close...).

LxTxNx
Sep 1, 2007, 01:31 AM
How's everyone cutting their songs to drag to iToner?

LxTxNx
Sep 1, 2007, 01:36 AM

Your right but if you dont feel like searching for the file thru all your music folders, you can just hold down the "ctrl" key and click on the song tittle on iTunes and select "Show in Finder" and drag the file from the window that pops up showing the your song file to iToner. :D

Telp
Sep 1, 2007, 01:38 AM

Garageband works great.

JWFerne
Sep 1, 2007, 01:46 AM
I would think if iToner was a complete all in one solution adding in the sound capture functionality of Wire Tap Pro and the quick sound editing ability like in Fission (by Rogue Amoeba), that you could have the ultimate piece of software for iPhone users looking to add/modify ring tones. The software at that point would be worth considerably more money IMHO and probably keep most users from having to purchase as many apple ringtones, saving them money in the long run.

Hell... perhaps you add in other future phone support down the road and become the king of ringtone apps for the mac with all that functionality.

p.s. I purchased iToner today and am very pleased with the software. Thank you Ambrosia!

moki
Sep 1, 2007, 02:34 AM
I would think if iToner was a complete all in one solution adding in the sound capture functionality of Wire Tap Pro and the quick sound editing ability like in Fission (by Rogue Amoeba), that you could have the ultimate piece of software for iPhone users looking to add/modify ring tones. The software at that point would be worth considerably more money IMHO and probably keep most users from having to purchase as many apple ringtones, saving them money in the long run.

Funny you should mention that. Just wait until you see WireTap Studio. I think it will blow you away, it does everything you mentioned above, and quite a bit more. We've even filed several patents on it.

:)

wesk702
Sep 1, 2007, 02:38 AM
name would have sounded more catchy and fitting if it were called
"iTones" but that's just my 2 pence.

love the app though. Works great.

How do I delete the songs after 30 days without resetting?

moki
Sep 1, 2007, 02:43 AM

Yep, this is a bug -- we're fixing it, no worries. We're just not accepting the right drag types is all, so it works with files, but not with drags from iTunes. It'll be an easy fix.

moki
Sep 1, 2007, 02:48 AM
name would have sounded more catchy and fitting if it were called
"iTones" but that's just my 2 pence.

love the app though. Works great.

How do I delete the songs after 30 days without resetting?

It'll still function after 30 days, you just need to wait 60 seconds before the sync happens. It's impatience-ware, no functionality is disabled, we just make you wait if you haven't bought it. ;)

JWFerne
Sep 1, 2007, 03:48 AM
Funny you should mention that. Just wait until you see WireTap Studio. I think it will blow you away, it does everything you mentioned above, and quite a bit more. We've even filed several patents on it.

Interesting... I just picked up Wiretap Pro today. Is this a new piece of software that'll be out soon?

Daremo
Sep 1, 2007, 04:52 AM
I bought this tonight, and I love this. Even if Apple does update on the 5th, and allow ring tones on the iPhone, I like the idea of NOT having to use iTunes for every little thing. It's worth a measly $15 for this feature. It amazes me how some people who can obviously afford a $600 cell phone can complain about $15. You can spend more then this one CD, or a ticket, popcorn and drink at a movie theater.

lord patton
Sep 1, 2007, 07:39 AM
Your right but if you dont feel like searching for the file thru all your music folders, you can just hold down the "ctrl" key and click on the song tittle on iTunes and select "Show in Finder" and drag the file from the window that pops up showing the your song file to iToner. :D

"Show in Finder"!! I never noticed that before. Awesome!

(Alternatively, after you edit your ringtones, change the artist info to something consistent, like "ringtones", for all of them. That way they'll all be in the same folder)

Yep, this is a bug -- we're fixing it, no worries. We're just not accepting the right drag types is all, so it works with files, but not with drags from iTunes. It'll be an easy fix.

That's an unfortunate detail to miss in 1.0. Not that there isn't an easy workaround... it's just that the way everyone assumes it should work, doesn't. Don't make me think! :p

oogje
Sep 1, 2007, 08:12 AM

I use Amadeus Pro (http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html). It's a very nice audio editor for Mac but not free - $40.00.

iToner is great app. Thank you Ambrosia.

elektrobank
Sep 1, 2007, 10:19 AM
It's great to finally have custom ringtones on my iPhone. My main problem has been that the tiny iPhone speaker distorts when any bass is being played, making the song sound horrible. What I did to correct this is take the song into Garageband and filter out the bass and boost up some of the other levels. This allows you to make the ringtone play really loud (louder than any of the stock ringtones) and doesn't distort.

It would be cool if this program could automatically apply some filters that optimize the mp3 to be played through an iPhone speaker. It would also be cool to have a built in tool to crop the song. My guess is that this is exactly what Apple is going to offer when they introduce their ringtones, but they're gonna charge a lot for it.

Hopstretch
Sep 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
I was searching around for a easy way to make ringtones and found the below through a google search. Basically all you have to do is go into iTunes, right click on a song, select "Get Info", then "Options". In "Options" you can set where you want your clip to start and stop. Then you simply select "convert selection to MP3" and you should see your partial song show up in iTunes. I then dragged it to the desktop and used iToner to import it into my iPhone. Sounded great and was about 20% of the size of the original song.

Great! Thanks.

Of course, this got me beat by the wife ...

Up, or off? ;)

moki
Sep 1, 2007, 04:42 PM
Interesting... I just picked up Wiretap Pro today. Is this a new piece of software that'll be out soon?

Yes, exactly so... It is one of the coolest things we've ever done, too. :)

JWFerne
Sep 1, 2007, 05:01 PM
Very nice, I can't wait to see it then :)

Cheers!

Azzurri15
Sep 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
Does this work with Windows Xp or only OS X?

AJsAWiz
Sep 1, 2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, exactly so... It is one of the coolest things we've ever done, too. :)

I agree! I LOVE WireTap Pro :D

Just downloaded and tried iToner but didn't need the 29 day trial period. I purchased it right away!
Like Wire Tap Pro . . . . another GREAT product ! ! !

badtz
Sep 1, 2007, 07:28 PM

For the time being, I just created a playlist to sync in with iToner, but this would be great... since I would rather manually drag them in :)

Also, the playlist does not stick every time you restart iToner. You have to manually re-pick the playlist every time ;)

TitoC
Sep 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
Does this work with Windows Xp or only OS X?

OS X Only.

I believe all of Ambrosia's software is OS X only.

Finally, a piece of software out there that is highly sot after, but is made only for OS X and NOT Windows.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

cornbread82985
Sep 1, 2007, 08:21 PM

sorry im kind of new to this but do you need an aple computer to download iToner I have an acer with windows vista I can I get iToner?

psychofreak
Sep 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
sorry im kind of new to this but do you need an aple computer to download iToner I have an acer with windows vista I can I get iToner?

You need an Apple computer...

TitoC
Sep 1, 2007, 08:53 PM

Sorry. Outside of some Games, everything else that Ambrosia Software makes (including iToner) is Mac only.

P.S. I also tried to install a ringtone for a friend of mine on his iPhone, who has a PC, but not a Mac. Since his iPhone is NOT registered on my machine, it
gave me an error when trying to sync. Oh well, it was worth a try. Now you know (if you try to go down that route as we did). He was bummed.

He says he's getting a MacBook Pro anyways, so he says he can wait.

Good luck.

cornbread82985
Sep 1, 2007, 09:05 PM

is there any other way I can get ringtones on my iPhone besides iToner I dont have an apple computer

Seion
Sep 1, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ringtone from CocoaDex is what I use, and it's completely free.

Does the same thing as iToner, with integrated iTunes searching.

http://www.cocoadex.com/Ringtones_1.1.dmg

AJsAWiz
Sep 1, 2007, 09:38 PM

I didn't see an option, with RingTone, to add using playlists. iToner does that.

TitoC
Sep 1, 2007, 09:44 PM
is there any other way I can get ringtones on my iPhone besides iToner I dont have an apple computer

I know of some Mac ones (mostly hack software, but it makes you restore your iPhone every time you do a software update) but not as easy or as uninvasive as iToner. I believe that their might be some Windows-based hacking work-arounds out there, but not a simple non-hacking software like iToner (as far as I know). The beauty of iToner is that it is not a hack into your iPhone. Just a nice piece of software that does its job well, all without voiding your iPhone warranty.

Seion
Sep 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
I didn't see an option, with RingTone, to add using playlists. iToner does that.

Ringtones does let you add using playlists. Click the browse button, then click iTunes at the top of the list to expand your library, and drag your playlist to the transfer window. Your whole playlist will be added.

TurboSC
Sep 2, 2007, 04:48 PM
congrats on the software and simple approach. I think your solution will definitely going to be cheaper than the iTunes method we shall see...

AJsAWiz
Sep 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ringtones does let you add using playlists. Click the browse button, then click iTunes at the top of the list to expand your library, and drag your playlist to the transfer window. Your whole playlist will be added.

Thanks . . . I didn't see that

akac
Sep 2, 2007, 07:17 PM
Making it look easy is always the hard part. ;)

I think many developers are afraid to invest the effort because they are worried Apple will steamroll them. This is a very real fear; it's likely that Apple will at some point soon (perhaps next week) announce ringtone support in iTunes.

We're betting that they will charge for it, because of their contracts with AT&T (they likely have a revenue sharing model for ringtone sales). However if we're wrong, and they make a great general-purpose ringtone program that works with any audio files (purchased or not), then we wasted our time.

Many developers don't want to risk it; and I can understand that. We have other cool ideas of what to do with the technology, though, so it's not the end of the world if Apple worst-cases us.

Something like this. I want to write new software for the iPhone (since we're mobile oriented), but I don't want to do so without an Apple sanctioned way. Partly because I have enough trouble keeping up with all the "supported" ways of writing software for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry that adding non-supported methods on the iphone would be too much in the end. And partly because it'd be a real bad thing to charge people money only to have an iPhone update close the way of running apps later on.

Your app is different and for that we'll be paying for it shortly. Even if Apple offers a ringtone feature, it probably won't be as nice as iToner.

moki
Sep 2, 2007, 09:05 PM

Yeah we tried that program out, and couldn't get it to work reliably. Ringtones were often not transfered, or the program hung, etc. You also have to reset your phone before it will see the ringtones.

We also had it happen that when it did work, it messed up the ringtone list, and we had to use iToner to clear the ringtones out before the phone would work properly. Your mileage may vary.

ehalo21
Sep 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
iToner is great app. Thank you Ambrosia.

Seion
Sep 2, 2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah we tried that program out, and couldn't get it to work reliably. Ringtones were often not transfered, or the program hung, etc. You also have to reset your phone before it will see the ringtones.

We also had it happen that when it did work, it messed up the ringtone list, and we had to use iToner to clear the ringtones out before the phone would work properly. Your mileage may vary.

Odd, I haven't had any issues and the ringtones show up immediately on my iPhone. *shrugs*

Wyvernspirit
Sep 2, 2007, 11:13 PM
I have been trying it out, and seems to work as advertised. Just wish I had some compelling ringtones to add to my phone now. Been disappointed with all my current selections, but that is not the fault of iToner. I also could use a nice and laud one, the speaker on the iPhone is a little soft, and is hard to hear where I work. Some of my coworkers' nextel phones can be heard all over where the iPhone needs to be next to my ear. Oh well, again not iToner's fault.

moki
Sep 3, 2007, 07:24 AM
Odd, I haven't had any issues and the ringtones show up immediately on my iPhone. *shrugs*

huh. That wasn't our experience in testing it out (we were understandably curious), but perhaps it just has some issues that need to be worked out. As I stated, your mileage may vary.

I'm sure there will be other solutions coming to market (and from Apple too), but we think we can continue to develop & improve iToner to have it continue to be a worthwhile product.

It'll be a fun ride, anyway. :)

moki
Sep 3, 2007, 07:39 AM
I have been trying it out, and seems to work as advertised. Just wish I had some compelling ringtones to add to my phone now. Been disappointed with all my current selections, but that is not the fault of iToner. I also could use a nice and laud one, the speaker on the iPhone is a little soft, and is hard to hear where I work. Some of my coworkers' nextel phones can be heard all over where the iPhone needs to be next to my ear. Oh well, again not iToner's fault.

Sounds like the ringtones you're choosing may need to be normalized (simply put, made louder). Also I'm sure you've looked at this, but I'll mention it for completeness: you do have the iPhone's ringer set to max volume?

In any event, we're working on some cool solutions to the conundrums you've mentioned. Stay tuned. :)

Wyvernspirit
Sep 3, 2007, 08:17 AM
Sounds like the ringtones you're choosing may need to be normalized (simply put, made louder). Also I'm sure you've looked at this, but I'll mention it for completeness: you do have the iPhone's ringer set to max volume?

In any event, we're working on some cool solutions to the conundrums you've mentioned. Stay tuned. :)

Yeah, I always set the ringer to high for all my phones. I did do some editing, but they did not turn out the way I hoped. I will try later to make better ones and see if I can't fix my problem.

I look forward to future updates.

Thanks

AJsAWiz
Sep 3, 2007, 09:48 AM

:eek: Any solutions to this?

I have 2 problems:
1. All playlists are not showing up in the advanced pane.
2. Not all songs in selected playlist are syncing over to my iPhone

What I have tried:
Reinstalling iToner
Deleting plist from preferences

Before this happened iToner was working like a charm :(

oogje
Sep 3, 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I always set the ringer to high for all my phones. I did do some editing, but they did not turn out the way I hoped. I will try later to make better ones and see if I can't fix my problem.

I look forward to future updates.

Thanks

I find higher pitched sounds work best with regard to perceived volume. For instance a canary seems to project well.

With regard to getting to maximum volume, assuming a Mac. Amadues Pro (free 30 day trial) was a flexible Normalize function - explained in the manual. The manual has a section on "Basic Notions of Sound Editing" which some will find helpful.

A great source of sounds is the Thomas J Valentino Production Sound Effects Library. $1,200 for the compete set of 50 CDs.

moki
Sep 3, 2007, 01:29 PM

I have 2 problems:

What I have tried:
Reinstalling iToner

Can you drop an email to our tech support at: help@AmbrosiaSW.com please? We'd like to see if we can't help diagnose what might be going wrong on your machine.

jecapaga
Sep 3, 2007, 03:16 PM

could not agree more with this..itoner is a great app and enjoy having ringtone options now. but I am having a bit of a time finding, editing, eq'n and bumping the volume just to get a ringtone that sounds decent and is louder than the ones already on the phone. the volume on the iphone is terrible.

AJsAWiz
Sep 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
Can you drop an email to our tech support at: help@AmbrosiaSW.com please? We'd like to see if we can't help diagnose what might be going wrong on your machine.

Done :o

moki
Sep 3, 2007, 06:18 PM

I have 2 problems:

What I have tried:
Reinstalling iToner

I'd check what file types are included (in the play list). Make sure it's just m4a, mp3, or m4p.

AJsAWiz
Sep 4, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'd check what file types are included (in the play list). Make sure it's just m4a, mp3, or m4p.

I did. I called Ambrosia's tech support but didn't get a workable solution. The person basically stated what you said and also suggested I delete a song from the list so that the sync button would work (not grayed out). I understand, according to the person I spoke with, that there will be an update soon that addresses the issue with playlists not showing up that may have one or more files that are not any of the ones you listed above. I did check and even the playlists with compatible files still don't show up in iToner. For now I'll just have to drag files manually then sync. It was much nicer when the playlist feature was working for me :(

scrambledwonder
Sep 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
Too much? It's not like software grows on trees. Real people—real smart people—have to write it. And guess what? They need to make a living. $15 is not too much, it's a steal.

scrambledwonder
Sep 4, 2007, 05:22 PM

Great question. I don't understand the obsession with song ring tones. I just want something that I can actually HEAR when I'm out and about. You know, an electric chirping sound of some sort. . . a. . . a. . . RING! I've had to go to tremendous lengths to get a regular ring on my last few phones (both Sony Ericsson). I use the "old phone" ring on my iphone, but I would like a regular ol' fashioned ear-piercing 'lectro ring. Are people really tired of that?

MarceePauff
Sep 5, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hey moki,
You might have already answered this, but will a future itoner update include the ability to change out system sounds as well? Like "newmail" or "sms-received"?

Thanks
-- Marcee

gschumsky
Sep 5, 2007, 12:13 PM
Well, Apple has ringtones (just announced) in the new iTunes. However you have to pay 99 cents (that's fine) and can only use music.
The cool thing about iToner is I can make any sound file (my favorite is my R2-D2 ringtone I made for my razr a long time ago) and drop it in...

So, Ambrosia still wins on this one.

Thanks Ambrosia for such a cool little tool.:)

moki
Sep 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
Well, Apple has ringtones (just announced) in the new iTunes. However you have to pay 99 cents (that's fine) and can only use music.
The cool thing about iToner is I can make any sound file (my favorite is my R2-D2 ringtone I made for my razr a long time ago) and drop it in...

So, Ambrosia still wins on this one.

Thanks Ambrosia for such a cool little tool.:)

Let's just say that we are very happy with Apple's ringtone announcement today. :)

Pay an additional 99 cents per song you've already purchased from the iTunes store for 99 cents to make it a ringtone vs. purchase iToner once for $15 and use it as many times as you want on any audio file you want to make it a ringtone.

Granted, to crop the audio files you currently need to use the free GarageBand or free Audacity or such, but we're working on that too.

moki
Sep 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hey moki,
You might have already answered this, but will a future itoner update include the ability to change out system sounds as well? Like "newmail" or "sms-received"?

Thanks
-- Marcee

Currently, no. That's something that Apple would have to allow support for in the iPhone itself. While would be possible to hack the iPhone to do this, we're trying to avoid that modus operandi with iToner.

snowboarder
Sep 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
Moki, it would be really cool if you guys create
a bunch, let's say 10 or 15 very high quality, loud ringtones,
not barking or farting, just high quality sounds - a few telephone rings
or something like that. I don't want a song, I want a good ring.

Great job guys! First piece of software I can actually use with my iPhone,
good job!

Hopstretch
Sep 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well, I'll be registering my copy of iToner shortly. Assuming the iTunes update tonight doesn't "accidentally" break it... :rolleyes:

Krevnik
Sep 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I'll be registering my copy of iToner shortly. Assuming the iTunes update tonight doesn't "accidentally" break it... :rolleyes:

I don't see why it would break it, per se... it syncs Ringtones the same way iTunes does. ;)

Chris Welch
Sep 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
Does registering give access to all future iToner updates?

moki
Sep 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
Does registering give access to all future iToner updates?

Yes, though it is possible that if we did a major upgrade (like bundling ringtones that we had to pay licensing fees for, etc.) there might be a nominal upgrade fee. However I think we have a pretty good history of being reasonable about such things. We have no immediate plans to have paid upgrades to iToner, but I'm phrasing this carefully so someone doesn't say "But you said......" :)

Wyvernspirit
Sep 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
Its better to answer carefully in such situations as I believe I am owed a .mac email for free... :)

Akira1980
Sep 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
I just tried the iToner and it works great! I was going to use the new iTunes ringtones but it only allows some songs to be ringtones. This sucks because I have songs on my iTunes which I didn't buy from the iTunes store. And I am not going to buy a song again so I can use it as a ringtones. I rather pay flat fee of $15.

lawcomic
Sep 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'll be registering my copy shortly. Apple is not getting any more money out of me than necessary after the price drop debacle.

technicolor
Sep 5, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'll be registering my copy shortly. Apple is not getting any more money out of me than necessary after the price drop debacle.
OKAY!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

I agree

Daremo
Sep 6, 2007, 02:52 AM
Andrew Welch / Moki,

I'm now using iTunes 7.4, with the "Ringtones Tab." It allows you to check off if you want iTunes to sync the Ringtones you buy from Apple of not. The problem is, anything you added with iToner gets deleted when you sync your phone, with the "sync ringtones" checked or unchecked in iTunes 7.4.

You can add them back easily enough, but I wanted to point this out to you, as it looks like an update for iToner is needed!

Akira1980
Sep 6, 2007, 03:38 AM
Andrew Welch / Moki,

I'm now using iTunes 7.4, with the "Ringtones Tab." It allows you to check off if you want iTunes to sync the Ringtones you buy from Apple of not. The problem is, anything you added with iToner gets deleted when you sync your phone, with the "sync ringtones" checked or unchecked in iTunes 7.4.

You can add them back easily enough, but I wanted to point this out to you, as it looks like an update for iToner is needed!

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Hopstretch
Sep 6, 2007, 06:35 AM
How extremely unsurprising. And annoying. :mad:

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:49 AM
How extremely unsurprising. And annoying. :mad:

Yep, as I have thrown all my edited ringtones away, but seeing as I didn't really like them anyways, not nearly as bad as some other issues from yesterday. :mad:

s8film40
Sep 6, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm glad I waited to pay the $15.00. I guess well have to wait and see if they can update this.

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
Andrew Welch / Moki,

We're on it. Here's what is happening. iTunes 7.4 thinks it is the sole entity that puts custom ringtones on your iPhone. As such whenever you sync (even if you aren't using any ringtones from iTunes), it just blindly writes over the database of user-installed ringtones.

Your ringtones are still there, the iPhone just doesn't know about them. I'm not sure why Apple would choose to do it this way (I'm trying not to be paranoid), but we're on it.

Expect an update shortly.

MacUser4_20
Sep 6, 2007, 10:33 AM
Thank you!

We're on it. Here's what is happening. iTunes 7.4 thinks it is the sole entity that puts custom ringtones on your iPhone. As such whenever you sync (even if you aren't using any ringtones from iTunes), it just blindly writes over the database of user-installed ringtones.

Your ringtones are still there, the iPhone just doesn't know about them. I'm not sure why Apple would choose to do it this way (I'm trying not to be paranoid), but we're on it.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 10:45 AM

Well i hope you can find a solution to this issue. It is mostly easy to use and many might want to use song they own that they did not purchase from iTunes. I have many songs I have ripped from cd and would like to to have th opprtunity to use those, and not all of the songs on iTunes will be available either.

Hopefully the solution will be easy.

Out...

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 10:47 AM
Well i hope you can find a solution to this issue. It is mostly easy to use and many might want to use song they own that they did not purchase from iTunes. I have many songs I have ripped from cd and would like to to have th opprtunity to use those, and not all of the songs on iTunes will be available either.

Hopefully the solution will be easy.

Out...

“Do or do not... there is no try.”

Krevnik
Sep 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
Andrew,

Something to consider is that Apple /does/ assume it is sole proprietor of the ringtone DB because that is the iPod experience. It will stomp whatever is there because the host computer knows what is right and what is wrong.

Pretty much how iTunes stomps on work done by custom iPod managers.

drater
Sep 6, 2007, 11:14 AM

nice, I love your attitude, I just got off the phone with your tech support over there (didn't see this discussion before) and might I add that you have a nice bunch of people over there, very friendly and very helpful.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 01:13 PM

Ok, master moki, i'll let the force guide your programming.

Out...

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
nice, I love your attitude, I just got off the phone with your tech support over there (didn't see this discussion before) and might I add that you have a nice bunch of people over there, very friendly and very helpful.

It's looking like there's a special "fix" in iTunes just for iToner... they are deleting the file multiple times in multiple places for no apparent reason. Things get more interesting now... :)

Telp
Sep 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
It's looking like there's a special "fix" in iTunes just for iToner... they are deleting the file multiple times in multiple places for no apparent reason. Things get more interesting now... :)

Does this happen everytime you sync up? or just the first time?

JWFerne
Sep 6, 2007, 02:14 PM
Andrew/Moki,

How does it feel to go from the A list with Steve J. to the Sh** list. Kind of sucks how they treat 3rd party app developers. You guys have been around so long. I remember your very first apps and of course through today's current lineup.

In a round about way he did the same with my firm. I'm in the consulting business and we helped him on quite a few projects in the early days at Apple (old apple II days through the first Mac launches) and with Next computing. It was amazing how quickly he forgot about us.

Cheers to us for loving Apple and putting up with the BS!

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
Andrew/Moki,

How does it feel to go from the A list with Steve J. to the Sh** list. Kind of sucks how they treat 3rd party app developers. You guys have been around so long. I remember your very first apps and of course through today's current lineup.

In a round about way he did the same with my firm. I'm in the consulting business and we helped him on quite a few projects in the early days at Apple (old apple II days through the first Mac launches) and with Next computing. It was amazing how quickly he forgot about us.

Cheers to us for loving Apple and putting up with the BS!

No worries, we don't take it personally... we just take it as a challenge. :)

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 02:20 PM
Does this happen everytime you sync up? or just the first time?

Looks like every time.

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, our claim that the ringtones added to your phone will survive through OS updates remains true. There are two issues here.

1) Putting ringtones on the iPhone the way some programs have done it (ala iFuntastic) means the ringtones will get wiped out when you do an OS update on the phone... but they will survive through iTunes 7.4 syncs. This is because they write to a system-only area of the iPhone, which gets wiped out during system updates, but is (as far as I know) untouched by iTunes 7.4.

2) Putting ringtones on the iPhone using iToner will give you ringtones that survive updates to the iPhone OS, because we write the ringtones to the user-area of the iPhone (the same place you put things like photos, music, etc.). However what we didn't see coming was an iTunes update that specifically targeted us to kill off the ringtones we put there.

Anyway, that's the situation as it stands now; we're in the middle of testing some work-arounds. Stay tuned... (pun intended :) )

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
Looks like every time.

Wow, its assassin software. They are using the Dark side of the force. Darth Apple??? Maybe Darth Jobs?

Out...

KittyToy
Sep 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
This is so late I had a ringtone maker since july 26 when I bought my iphone, this one don't do anything mine dosen't do...and I didn't have to hack my phone to use it....not to mention I can use limewire for free..... you people loving giving apple your money'''''':D

/dev/toaster
Sep 6, 2007, 03:17 PM

I totally agree. I support Apple on a lot of things, and this is not one of them. I refuse to pay $0.99 to shorten an audio file I _already_ purchased.

What next, are they going to charge me more to put my media on my AppleTV, my iPod, or the other computers in my house that all share the same iTunes account ?? I don't like the direction they are heading.

I will be registering my copy tonight.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 03:18 PM
This is so late I had a ringtone maker since july 26 when I bought my iphone, this one don't do anything mine dosen't do...and I didn't have to hack my phone to use it....not to mention I can use limewire for free..... you people loving giving apple your money'''''':D

No, using what you get from limewire for "free" is illegal. I would not boast about that. And iToner doesn't "hack" the phone either. YOu don't have to give your money to apple, but you should be helping the artist that give you the entertainment you enjoy.

Out...

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
I totally agree. I support Apple on a lot of things, and this is not one of them. I refuse to pay $0.99 to shorten an audio file I _already_ purchased.

What next, are they going to charge me more to put my media on my AppleTV, my iPod, or the other computers in my house that all share the same iTunes account ?? I don't like the direction they are heading.

I will be registering my copy tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "concession" made to the RIAA to get ringtones on the iPhone. Its still cheaper then what I had to spend on my old phone, especially is I already purchased or want to purchase it from iTunes. Right now the only tunes I am considering from iTunes are the DRM free 256 bit variety and will get the CDs of the others if I really want them, but if I want it as a ringtone as well, may pick up a song here or there that is the "normal" iTunes DRMed kind.

Out...

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 03:30 PM
We believe that we know what to do to make it work; now to do it and test it. Fingers crossed... :)

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/funny/muhahaha.jpg

Insatiable
Sep 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
Good luck. I love the software and I'm planning to purchase immediately after a fix is developed for this . Don't want to re-load after every sync...

Chris Welch
Sep 6, 2007, 03:52 PM
Indeed. Good luck. I see no reason to update to 7.4 right away, so I don't plan on doing so for awhile.

Hopstretch
Sep 6, 2007, 04:08 PM
We believe that we know what to do to make it work; now to do it and test it. Fingers crossed... :)

What the hell, I'm in for my $15 just because I like your style. Do hope you can work around the worm in the Apple as well, though, because it's a neat little app.

PS: Chris Welch -- 7.4 does fix quite a nasty remote code execution vulnerability in Coverflow, so it might be worth the extra hassle to fire it up.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 04:23 PM

Awesome, I await your release. So you found the disturbance in the force and are prepared to release it...

Out...

Daremo
Sep 6, 2007, 05:28 PM
Wow. What company comes on, and posts updates like this? Amazing! I paid for iToner on day one, and will continue to support Ambrosia Software. Good people, good software!

MarceePauff
Sep 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
Wow. What company comes on, and posts updates like this? Amazing! I paid for iToner on day one, and will continue to support Ambrosia Software. Good people, good software!

Seconded. (Only I didn't pay for it on day one...but only a few days later.) :)

fishkorp
Sep 6, 2007, 07:12 PM
Andrew,

I haven't purchased your app yet, but used the demo for a couple simple tones. Very easy to use and a great product. Just the way you interact with the community here alone is worth the price of the app. The industry needs more developers like you.

ZigZagLens
Sep 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
Andrew,

I haven't purchased your app yet, but used the demo for a couple simple tones. Very easy to use and a great product. Just the way you interact with the community here alone is worth the price of the app. The industry needs more developers like you.

agreed. let us know when it works properly with 7.4 so I can grab it. :)

nevesis
Sep 6, 2007, 07:53 PM
Mr. moki, you have my $15.00 once you implement this fix.

Anywhere else I can donate more money too. Its funny how I am willing to give hundreds away to a developer but not 99 cents to Apple for a ringtone.

It all comes down to principle. :)

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
The plan is to get a beta out to our testers tonight (fingers crossed). Release will happen once we're satisfied that it's been fully QA'd. Obviously we want to push it out sooner rather than later, but we want to properly test it first.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 09:22 PM
The plan is to get a beta out to our testers tonight (fingers crossed). Release will happen once we're satisfied that it's been fully QA'd. Obviously we want to push it out sooner rather than later, but we want to properly test it first.

That is great news.

Out...

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 09:32 PM
That is great news.

Out...

GREAT SUCCESS!!! -- our first trial of a developmental build worked like a charm. :)

drater
Sep 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
GREAT SUCCESS!!! -- our first trial of a developmental build worked like a charm. :)

so when is it going to be released to us mer mortals??:D

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
Nice and quick!

Out...

moki
Sep 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
so when is it going to be released to us mer mortals??:D

As mentioned above, we want to do a round of QA on it first. We don't like releasing software, however timely the updates need to be, without reasonable QA on it.

How long that takes really depends; if we find issues, we fix them, and issue a new build, and the QA circle continues until we consider it release-quality.

drater
Sep 6, 2007, 10:40 PM
As mentioned above, we want to do a round of QA on it first. We don't like releasing software, however timely the updates need to be, without reasonable QA on it.

How long that takes really depends; if we find issues, we fix them, and issue a new build, and the QA circle continues until we consider it release-quality.

i wait impatiently only cause its an awesome program.

nevesis
Sep 6, 2007, 11:22 PM
i wait impatiently only cause its an awesome program.

Same here! I also would like to upgrade to iTunes 7.4 but will refuse to until iToner is fixed.

Great job moki, we all appreciate your hard work.

Akira1980
Sep 7, 2007, 01:16 AM
I am waiting with my $15...

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 01:19 AM
I am waiting with my $15...

Glad I'm not the only eager one. This is what you get for creating a great program and Steve screwing up. :)

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
The beta test has gone quite well (we dropped a version off to our beta testers last night). The core of the update (working with iTunes 7.4) is going swimmingly. We found a few minor issues to address, but nothing that concerns us.

We'll be issuing another beta today, and doing some intensive internal testing. We would LOVE to release the iToner 1.0.1 update today... fingers crossed... :)

MacUser4_20
Sep 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
::::CROSSING FINGERS and TOES::::

The beta test has gone quite well (we dropped a version off to our beta testers last night). The core of the update (working with iTunes 7.4) is going swimmingly. We found a few minor issues to address, but nothing that concerns us.

We'll be issuing another beta today, and doing some intensive internal testing. We would LOVE to release the iToner 1.0.1 update today... fingers crossed... :)

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 12:03 PM
::::CROSSING FINGERS and TOES::::

count my crossed toes and fingers in as well

dburney
Sep 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
This is great news from Ambrosia - glad they're looking into an easier way to accomplish this. I think it's widely known by now that you can do this via an AAC file and just changing the file's extension, but I give Ambrosia an "A" for effort.

I was just browsing some comments left around the web regarding the whole 99˘ ringtone thing. I can't believe the number of people that are up in arms about the whole thing. I'll admit I was upset at first too - but I do believe this is another RIAA concession. By law ringtones are a separate audio entity that justify royalties just like an album single. So Apple can't give them away, and since they sell the phone and the music, I can see where the RIAA would pressure them into making sure the Devil gets his due when ringtones are made/used from the iTMS on the iPhone - not that I agree with it.

So Apple has cleverly delivered on the RIAA's request by providing an easy to use interface to create your own 30 sec. snipit for 99˘ - thus fulfilling the royalties agreement or whatever other kind of obligation Apple needs to fulfill. The ringtone is DRM'd, has been paid for, etc. No reason for the RIAA to bitch and moan. And conveniently enough, though without making specific mention to it, they've provided a backdoor. A subtle nod to all of us that suggests "we can't give you the ringtone for free, but we can't stop you from making it on your own and adding it to the phone." Of course, they can't blatantly offer up this feature, but it's there and can be taken advantage of.

Now, hopefully this won't cause any undue pressure on Apple to revise the way the ringtone is handled via iTunes - it treats it the same as a music file or audiobook, so the RIAA shouldn't be able to make much of an argument.

:apple:

nevesis
Sep 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
We would LOVE to release the iToner 1.0.1 update today... fingers crossed... :)

I would love that as well. Please do! :D

shadowboxer
Sep 7, 2007, 12:54 PM
So Apple has cleverly delivered on the RIAA's request by providing an easy to use interface to create your own 30 sec. snipit for 99˘ - thus fulfilling the royalties agreement or whatever other kind of obligation Apple needs to fulfill. The ringtone is DRM'd, has been paid for, etc. No reason for the RIAA to bitch and moan. And conveniently enough, though without making specific mention to it, they've provided a backdoor. A subtle nod to all of us that suggests "we can't give you the ringtone for free, but we can't stop you from making it on your own and adding it to the phone." Of course, they can't blatantly offer up this feature, but it's there and can be taken advantage of.
:apple:

If this is indeed true and represents Apple's attitude, then how do you explain the "anti-itoner" assassin software changes in the itunes 7.4 update? Why not just leave them (itoner) the heck alone?

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
If this is indeed true and represents Apple's attitude, then how do you explain the "anti-itoner" assassin software changes in the itunes 7.4 update? Why not just leave them (itoner) the heck alone?

It's *possible* that what Apple has done is not intentional, and it's just a side-effect of strange programming. Based on our analysis, though, that seems unlikely. Still possible though.

dburney
Sep 7, 2007, 02:14 PM

I can't explain the purposed sabotaging - I was simply making a point for the 99˘ ringtone. I was not justifying Apple's obvious measures to keep the iPhone a locked platform (for the time being at least). That appears to be what they're doing, plugging the holes that spring up in their code…right or wrong I think that was a large part of the iTunes update, to break many of the iPhone hacks in an attempt to keep the iPhone locked down as tight as possible. In contrast though, I do think the ringtone file extension trick was left as is by Apple to accommodate us, the users. Of course, maybe I'm wrong and I should refrain from the iTunes 7.4.1 update when it gets released just in case. :D

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 04:44 PM
Unless we encounter a major problem, we will be releasing iToner 1.0.1 today, with iTunes 7.4 compatibility.

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 05:30 PM
We haven't sent out the official announcement yet, but you guys have been great so... iToner 1.0.1 is available now (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner/) with iTunes 7.4 compatibility goodness. :)

nevesis
Sep 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
We haven't sent out the official announcement yet, but you guys have been great so... iToner 1.0.1 is available now (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner/) with iTunes 7.4 compatibility goodness. :)

I love you.

$15 bucks sent!

Wyvernspirit
Sep 7, 2007, 05:40 PM

Awesome

Out...

MacUser4_20
Sep 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
Downloading this evening, thank you!

oogje
Sep 7, 2007, 06:05 PM
Great work. Thank you Ambrosia! And thanks for the beautiful ring tones.

Insatiable
Sep 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
Seconded. Great work to you and the rest of the team at Ambrosia, Moki. And thanks for keeping us updated in this forum. I'm purchasing my copy today!

nevesis
Sep 7, 2007, 06:45 PM
Works like a charm! Lets hope it survives the next round of updates.

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 07:25 PM
Works like a charm! Lets hope it survives the next round of updates.

It should. We were pretty safe in the way we did the changes, but... never say never.

Hopstretch
Sep 7, 2007, 07:32 PM
I love you. And I want to have your babies.

moki
Sep 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
I love you. And I want to have your babies.

Much as I appreciate the offer, I think that might violate innumerable laws of nature ;)

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 09:57 PM
It's *possible* that what Apple has done is not intentional, and it's just a side-effect of strange programming. Based on our analysis, though, that seems unlikely. Still possible though.

You've just made my mind up for me. I was hesitant to buy at first only because I thought an update like this might happen and didn't know your company at all, but I like what you did, you came back and fixed it in real quick fashion. be prepared to receive my $15 shortly.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:06 PM
It seems to work, after I restored my iPhone because it kept giving me errors that said I should. Took a while to upload everything back, but iToner worked again after that, it would seem.

Great work,

Out...

Wyvernspirit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:15 PM
Does 7.4.1 break your fix in iToner?

moki
Sep 8, 2007, 04:08 AM
Does 7.4.1 break your fix in iToner?

I can't answer your question with 100% certainty, as we have not fully regression tested iToner 1.0.1 with iTunes 7.4.1 yet... but initial reports from people @ Ambrosia is that iToner 1.0.1 continues to work just fine with iTunes 7.4.1.

I love it when a plan comes together.

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/funny/a-team.jpg

Wyvernspirit
Sep 8, 2007, 07:59 AM
I can't answer your question with 100% certainty, as we have not fully regression tested iToner 1.0.1 with iTunes 7.4.1 yet... but initial reports from people @ Ambrosia is that iToner 1.0.1 continues to work just fine with iTunes 7.4.1.

I love it when a plan comes together.

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/funny/a-team.jpg

I pity the fool who messes with you...

Well that's corny, out...

moki
Sep 8, 2007, 12:36 PM
On a side note, I tend to prefer sounds for ringtones, as opposed to song. Just a personal preference. Though it is rather amusing to have an old TV show theme (http://www.nirmalsuki.com/songs/theme_songs/) (like Magnum PI or Sanford and Son) play when someone calls, in an nostalgic sorta way. :)

Hopstretch
Sep 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
Though it is rather amusing to have an old TV show theme (http://www.nirmalsuki.com/songs/theme_songs/) (like Magnum PI or Sanford and Son) play when someone calls, in an nostalgic sorta way. :)
Superb, now I can have have my wife announced by "Married With Children" and my girlfriend by "Benny Hill". :D

DamnDJ
Sep 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
Is there any sort of Windows counterpart that doesn't involve jailbreaking?

Edit: Oops! Found Efiko..

moki
Sep 8, 2007, 03:48 PM
Is there any sort of Windows counterpart that doesn't involve jailbreaking?

Edit: Oops! Found Efiko..

I don't believe that works with iTunes 7.4 (yet).

DamnDJ
Sep 8, 2007, 03:58 PM
I don't believe that works with iTunes 7.4 (yet).

It works, but iTunes will erase it every time you sync the phone. Annoying, but it's really easy to re-send the ringtone back to the phone. I know the developers are aware of the issue and they're working on it.

Aside from that, it's a great program!

siurpeeman
Sep 8, 2007, 04:00 PM
i feel slightly silly, as i discovered this app only yesterday. it works great, and it doesn't mess with your iphone at all. no hacking, no this or that. just dragging and dropping. well worth the $15!

moki
Sep 8, 2007, 05:52 PM
It works, but iTunes will erase it every time you sync the phone. Annoying, but it's really easy to re-send the ringtone back to the phone. I know the developers are aware of the issue and they're working on it.

Aside from that, it's a great program!

Ah, right, sorry that's what I meant -- that was the same situation with iToner prior to the 1.0.1 update. I'm sure they'll get it fixed.

moki
Sep 8, 2007, 06:39 PM
A good source for ringtone sounds:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

You need to register/log in to download them, but they are pretty nice, and under the Creative Commons license. Here's a nice basic cellphone ring:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/data/30/sounds/30054__Regenpak__cellfone_ring.wav

You need to convert this into an mp3 or m4a file before you can use it on your iPhone, but iTunes can do that for you.

Hopstretch
Sep 11, 2007, 08:34 AM
Weird. Now that ringtone purchases are enabled in Tunes, I get an error message every time after syncing with iToner.

"Error talking to phone. May need to resync or reset phone. 8"

iToner still works fine, and the ringtones are transferred OK so it's not a big deal. Just ... weird.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
Weird. Now that ringtone purchases are enabled in Tunes, I get an error message every time after syncing with iToner.

"Error talking to phone. May need to resync or reset phone. 8"

iToner still works fine, and the ringtones are transferred OK so it's not a big deal. Just ... weird.

I had to reset my iPhone and it went away, it was a pain.

Out...

Hopstretch
Sep 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
I had to reset my iPhone and it went away, it was Spain.

Out...
Tried that. No dice.

MacUser4_20
Sep 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
Compatible with iTunes 7.4.2 released today?

Chris Welch
Sep 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
No, it isn't.

moki
Sep 17, 2007, 06:11 PM
No, it isn't.

I'm surprised you'd say that -- we've been using iToner 1.0.1 with iTunes 7.4.2 and everything seems to work just fine. What problems have you encountered?

ARH1956
Sep 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm surprised you'd say that -- we've been using iToner 1.0.1 with iTunes 7.4.2 and everything seems to work just fine. What problems have you encountered?iToner 1.0.1 is working perfectly with iTunes 7.4.2 on my iPhone as well. I updated to iTunes 7.4.2 & resynced my iPhone several times to check for any changes and my "iToner" ringtones were totally unaffected.

moki
Sep 24, 2007, 08:08 AM
So just to give you an idea of what we're thinking regarding iToner, here it goes. The first few weeks of iToner's existence were all about survival. We wanted to ensure that iToner continued to work with iTunes updates, and burned the midnight oil to ensure that happened.

I think a good indication of how we did is that when Apple updated iTunes from 7.4.1 to 7.4.2, they broke all of the other non-Jailbreak techniques for putting ringtones on your iPhone, but iToner continued to work unmodified.

With a sigh of relief, we then cleaned up a few things, adding a bit more spiff to the interface, and released iToner 1.0.2 just recently.

So what does the future hold for iToner? Now that the update scrambling is seemingly over, we're thinking about the following features:

-- Adding bluetooth support, so that iToner will work with any cell phone that has bluetooth. Instead of being limited to uploading ringtones to iPhones, it'd then work with just about any phone.

-- Editing/cropping ringtones. It's something we absolutely want to be able to do. Drag a song over, and iToner lets you pick what part of it to use as a ringtone. This opens up a can of worms that I won't get into here, but suffice it to say that because of the transcoding that's required, it'll be a bit of work to do it right. And we do always try to do things right

-- Going along with the above, we'd also like to be able to transcode the ringtones into bitrates more suitable for iPhone ringtones, convert them to mono, and optionally boost the dynamic range of the ringtones so that they will sound more crisp and clear on the iPhone's build in speaker.

-- Bundling ringtones! We'd like to be able to ship the product with a bunch of cool ringtones people can choose from. This means licensing a quality sound library, something we've been looking into.

More than anything else, we fully intend to keep the elegant simplicity of the product, rather than bloat it with esoteric features. Drag, Drop, Sync... if we make it harder than that to use, we've failed in my opinion.

There's no timetable on any of these improvements, but I just wanted to let folks here know what we're considering for the product.

nevesis
Sep 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
So just to give you an idea of what we're thinking regarding iToner, here it goes. The first few weeks of iToner's existence were all about survival. We wanted to ensure that iToner continued to work with iTunes updates, and burned the midnight oil to ensure that happened.

I think a good indication of how we did is that when Apple updated iTunes from 7.4.1 to 7.4.2, they broke all of the other non-Jailbreak techniques for putting ringtones on your iPhone, but iToner continued to work unmodified.

With a sigh of relief, we then cleaned up a few things, adding a bit more spiff to the interface, and released iToner 1.0.2 just recently.

So what does the future hold for iToner? Now that the update scrambling is seemingly over, we're thinking about the following features:

-- Adding bluetooth support, so that iToner will work with any cell phone that has bluetooth. Instead of being limited to uploading ringtones to iPhones, it'd then work with just about any phone.

-- Editing/cropping ringtones. It's something we absolutely want to be able to do. Drag a song over, and iToner lets you pick what part of it to use as a ringtone. This opens up a can of worms that I won't get into here, but suffice it to say that because of the transcoding that's required, it'll be a bit of work to do it right. And we do always try to do things right

-- Going along with the above, we'd also like to be able to transcode the ringtones into bitrates more suitable for iPhone ringtones, convert them to mono, and optionally boost the dynamic range of the ringtones so that they will sound more crisp and clear on the iPhone's build in speaker.

-- Bundling ringtones! We'd like to be able to ship the product with a bunch of cool ringtones people can choose from. This means licensing a quality sound library, something we've been looking into.

More than anything else, we fully intend to keep the elegant simplicity of the product, rather than bloat it with esoteric features. Drag, Drop, Sync... if we make it harder than that to use, we've failed in my opinion.

There's no timetable on any of these improvements, but I just wanted to let folks here know what we're considering for the product.

That all sounds amazing dude. Thanks for all your hard work it is appreciated. :)

moki
Sep 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
That all sounds amazing dude. Thanks for all your hard work it is appreciated. :)

Thanks... just be patient, some of these changes are not trivial in terms of the underlying way that iToner works. Our main goal for 1.0 was getting a stable, easy to use, reliable program out the door to enable people to use their own ringtones.

Heck, part of the motivation was selfish, I wanted a Borat ringtone for my iPhone. :)

But I'm just letting you know that it may be a bit before we have some of these more major features done, so don't expect the kind of turn-around that we've been able to accomplish with the bug fix updates to the product.

iToner has been a lot of fun to work on... quite a ride with all of the Apple updates, etc. You folks have been great, and have kept us motivated!

daigled
Sep 26, 2007, 02:07 PM
So here's a newby question ...

When you sync with your iPhone, where are the songs / clips stored to?

thomasz1
Jun 2, 2008, 08:22 PM
An iPhone is my wish for 1 year ago, hope this release will be good.

savanahrose
Jun 3, 2008, 08:17 AM
moki this is the first time that I have heard of the Ambrosia company. sorry :o. But I will check into it when I get home from work. From what I have read so far your company comes with alot of good reveiws. I more than likely will be getting your ringtone software for my iphone when I get it today. :D

SamoanDude
Jun 7, 2008, 06:57 PM
This program is just what I was looking for! Glad I found it here.

ipodtouch2008
Jun 8, 2008, 12:18 AM
Why do you need this when you can do it in garageband for free??

evilgEEk
Jun 8, 2008, 12:53 AM
Why do you need this when you can do it in garageband for free??

GarageBand allows you to sync ringtones to your iPhone? Huh, I must have missed that update.

iToner is a great product. I'm currently still on the trial and the only thing I wish it had was the built in editing functions.

What is the most popular program that everyone is using to edit? Is everyone just using GarageBand?

Eminemdrdre00
Jun 8, 2008, 01:33 AM
GarageBand allows you to sync ringtones to your iPhone? Huh, I must have missed that update.

Sure does!
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1358

ipodtouch2008
Jun 8, 2008, 11:21 PM

iToner is a great product. I'm currently still on the trial and the only thing I wish it had was the built in editing functions.

What is the most popular program that everyone is using to edit? Is everyone just using GarageBand?

Yes, it allows you to just selected the song from your iLife Library into the program, Then selected to 40sec piece that you want. Then simply click share > Send ringtone to iTunes.

And if you want to do any editing it is all there for you. :)

Have Fun