PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 1.33 replacement HD

Naimfan
Aug 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
All--

I was about to hit "purchase" on a Western Digital 120 GB HD to replace the one in my PB G4 1.33 when I read that one version doesn't fit. So two questions:

1. Will the WD Scorpio WD1200BEVE fit? Newegg claims it will, though the other 120 GB WD drive won't fit, and I've read that Newegg's configurator can be a bit "off."

2. Is it worth getting a HD case to put the old 60 Gb drive in?

The 60 Gb drive still works fine, but it's getting a bit crowded, and I think it's a 4200 RPM drive, so hopefully the 5400 RPM WD will speed things up a bit.

Also, I have to say the PB is terrific--there's no real difference speedwise when working on the web, emailing, or writing with Pages or Word. It is another story entirely when I do anything in iLife 06 (or anything beyond iLife), though!

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Squonk
Aug 31, 2007, 12:35 PM
I put a Seagate 160GB 5400 perpendicular drive in my 1.25GHz PowerBook and it made a significant difference over the stock 80GB drive. I highly recommend the Seagate drives!

I would get an external case for the 60GB and use this for backing up your data. Also, you could then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the data from your 60 on the new drive and be up and running in no time.

I hear you about the machine being fine until you fire up iLife and then things are less than optimal.

MacInTO
Aug 31, 2007, 12:45 PM
I also recommend the 160GB Seagate 5400rpm drive. I put one in my 15" PB.

I backup up my music, photos and files, loaded the OS from scratch and then copied my files back to the new HD. It took a while, but I never experienced any problems.