PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock find file?

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 09:35 AM
Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Apple removed 'Find file' from Sherlock?

I'm not sure if I like the new cut-down 'find file' and what is left in Sherlock isn't much cop either! Does anyone use it? (Sherlock)

thanks

bobindashadows
Aug 12, 2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ump3
Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Apple removed 'Find file' from Sherlock?

The reason Appe took Find File out of sherlock is because "Find File" no longer has anything to do with Sherlock.

Sherlock is a tool for using web services such as movie listings, yellow pages, Translations, and the like. This, as you can see, has nothing to do with finding files on your computer.

Besides, Sherlock 2 (precursor to new sherlock) was terrible... it took a minute to open on an iMac 450, and then took ages to search for files.

I'm not sure if I like the new cut-down 'find file' and what is left in Sherlock isn't much cop either!

The new 'find file' has every feature Sherlock 2 had. And it's easier to use (IMHO), because you don't have to click a button to bring up a window to add things, you just choose them from the menu right there. I like the new Sherlock for the most part - I don't use it often but that's because I don't get out enough.

Does anyone use it? (Sherlock)
Every once in a while, like for translations.
thanks No problem ;)

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
The new 'find file' has every feature Sherlock 2 had. And it's easier to use (IMHO), because you don't have to click a button to bring up a window to add things, you just choose them from the menu right there. I like the new Sherlock for the most part - I don't use it often but that's because I don't get out enough.

One of the things I don't like about the new 'Find File' is when you finished you've got to close both windows (The intial search window & the search results window) manually, whereas in Sherlock you just hit cmd-Q

by removing findfile from Sherlock I think they removed the thing that 95% of people used it for. The internet search is ok, I just tried translating 'hello' from English>French and it came back with an error. :mad:

as for the ebay, pictures and flights buttons, I think I'd rather use my browser. Sherlock just seems like a piece of ad-ware to me. ebay and Getty images etc trying to flog you there stuff!

:cool:

cheers