PDA

View Full Version : CD's Burnt on iBook won't open on PC

dcoltonbrown
Aug 12, 2003, 09:54 AM
I burned a cd on my iBook. The files were .mov and .fla files. When I open it on my PC, I can see the files, but they won't open. The .mov QT file is not understood and the fla files won't open. I am using the same version of flash (MX) and the same verion of QT Pro on both computers.

The CD workd in the iBook, but not on any other computer. I can reverse and burn a cd on my pc and it will work on the iBook.

I also get a .Trashes folder that only appears on the pc. Applecare said this was normal, but I have only seen the .Trashes folder a couple of times, and if I remember correctly, the CD still worked in the CD.

Any help is appreciated.

bobindashadows
Aug 12, 2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dcoltonbrown
I burned a cd on my iBook. The files were .mov and .fla files. When I open it on my PC, I can see the files, but they won't open. The .mov QT file is not understood and the fla files won't open. I am using the same version of flash (MX) and the same verion of QT Pro on both computers.

The CD workd in the iBook, but not on any other computer. I can reverse and burn a cd on my pc and it will work on the iBook.

First thing: C
1. Check the files' sizes, and see if they are the same as the ones on the iBook. Could have been a burning error that went unreported.
2. Check the bottom of the CD for terrible gouges.
3. Try copying the files to your computer from the CD and checking them then.
4. Try getting the files onto the PC another way (using network cable trickery and such) and then testing them.

Hopefully that should help identify the problem. I suggest getting a copy of Toast Titanium or something along those lines - they have a history of being better for cross-platform CD burning.

I also get a .Trashes folder that only appears on the pc. Applecare said this was normal, but I have only seen the .Trashes folder a couple of times, and if I remember correctly, the CD still worked in the CD.

Yes, it should work just fine. The .Trashes is an OS X (UNIX, really) invisible file, that shows up as visible on PCs because their filesystems don't work the same way. *nix makes files starting with a period invisible. Windows has it's own special way of doing things, with special file flags and such.

.Trashes, as I understand, is just a holder for anything you drag to the trash from that Volume. Obviously, it won't do much on a CD, but that's what it's there for.

Any help is appreciated.

No problem.