Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
After reading various forums I found out about this offer on iTunes Music Store Coupons. Having seen hundreds of others successfully redeeming and spending the vouchers, I bought and redeemed one. After downloading one episode of Lost, got a message from iTunes telling me that my account has been disabled!!!

Please dont be a silly as me and fall for this.

I feel like such a idiot.

Alex. :(

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Apple's Response

Dear Alex,

Your account was disabled because the purchaser of an iTunes Gift Certificate redeemed to your account has refuted the charges with his or her credit card company.

When charges are reported as unauthorized, any remaining iTunes Store credit from the disputed purchase is considered unauthorized and is removed from the account.

If you purchased the iTunes Gift Certificate on an auction website, it may have been part of a fraud claim. You may want to address the issues with your purchase to the seller, or use any dispute resolution service provided by the auction website or other remedies that might otherwise be available to you.

If the iTunes Gift Certificate was purchased from Apple, the buyer will need to contact his or her credit card company to discuss the disputed purchase.

If you could please reply to this email with your account's billing information, we would be happy to re-enable the account for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Thomas
iTunes Store Customer Support

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Dude - my wife was the one posting on the voucher thread in MSE Sarah -

She is well angry

what time did your e-mail come in from apple - her's got in at 01.06am today
and she replied but still waiting fot the itunes account to be made active

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Dude - my wife was the one posting on the voucher thread in MSE Sarah -

She is well angry

what time did your e-mail come in from apple - her's got in at 01.06am today
and she replied but still waiting fot the itunes account to be made active

Mine was 01:24,

What the other threads URL?

Thanks. Alex.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
this is the one she picked up on first

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=452628&page=24

google has alot of history as well

http://www.google.com/search?q=giftvouchersuk&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&start=10&sa=N

also a quick copy of the e-mail he sent us was

ohhh ****

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Waheed

Abdul Waheed
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abdul Waheed may refer to:
Abdul Waheed (suspected aircraft bomb plotter), UK citizen arrested in August 2006 on suspicion of involvement in a plot to bomb airliners traveling to the United States
Abdul Waheed (Guantanamo detainee 353), an Afghani, estimated to have been born in 1972 Musa Qala, Afghanistan - returned to Afghanistan, from the Guantanamo Bay detainment camps prior to the institution of the Combatant Status Review Tribunals in July 2004

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Hmm interesting, hope its not the same Abdul...

No response from Apple yet, I have asked the to re-enable the account. Given them the billing details they asked for.

Still waiting for Abdul to respond, if he doens't respond by Monday I will try to get the money refunded through PayPal.

Thanks for the links, I've seen the ones on MoneySupermarket. I've even posted on page 24.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Alex Price

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Wow, I was gonna buy one of them last week, but luckily there were none left.
Maybe it should be changed from gift|vouchers|uk.com to gift|voucher|suk.com :)

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Update

Called AppleCare and informed them, they will pass the info on to their relevant departments.

Called CrimeStoppers who put me onto my local Police. Called them up and got some advise, they say I should contact the Internet Watchdog Foundation which I will do, if anyone else wishes to contact them, their URL is http://www.iwf.org.uk/

Thanks

Alex Price

nebsta

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Australia
Are the people who bought these going to be liable to pay iTunes for anything purchased with them or will they just lose any remaining credit on the vouchers?

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Good question, I don't know. I do know that some people have spent a few quid and had the rest removed. Abdul apparently then provides them with new codes.

Thanks

Alex

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i'm still waiting for apple to come back to me.

you'd think they would take off the credits and just re-enable my account

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I saw this thread on DVD Forums and Apple have been aware of the websites selling these for weeks. So why has it taken this long for them to realise something is up? Apart from people noticing fraud on their credit card statements, the guy must have sold thousands of vouchers, so somewhere along the line there must have been something that would have tipped Apple off that there was something funny going on.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
my itunes account has been enabled again

email from apple

Per your request I have reenabled your iTunes account "aitunesusername@mac.com".

As we stated earlier, your account was disabled because the purchaser of an iTunes Gift Certificate redeemed to your account has refuted the charges with his or her credit card company.

When charges are reported as unauthorized, any remaining iTunes Store credit from the disputed purchase is considered unauthorized and is removed from the account.

If you purchased the iTunes Gift Certificate on an auction website, it may have been part of a fraud claim. You may want to address the issues with your purchase to the seller, or use any dispute resolution service provided by the auction website or other remedies that might otherwise be available to you.

If the iTunes Gift Certificate was purchased from Apple, the buyer will need to contact his or her credit card company to discuss the disputed purchase.

You can now resume purchasing from the iTunes Store, but the funds from the fraudulent iTunes Gift Certificate will not be made available to you.

Thank you for being an iTunes Store customer since September 2005. We appreciate your continued business.

Sincerely,

Lata
iTunes Store Customer Support

L

Lau

There is also a thread on MR about this here, and it looks as if the seller posted in it too at post #27 (although has been banned since).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.