PDA

View Full Version : folding@home partial credit

bertinman
Aug 12, 2003, 11:04 AM
The folding forum:

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=5245

has a little blurb saying that gromacs seem to have some instabilities and now they are giving partial credit to the failed ones.

summary: finish 25% of a WU get 25% of the points.

I suffered pretty big from lost wu's and I'm sure others have too. This should be a nice alternative to starting from scratch with no credit for the previous one :).

Now, if Davis can just stop having power outages every weekend, I can get back to getting some points :rolleyes:.

Vlade
Aug 12, 2003, 01:41 PM
Too bad its to late to get my points back. But I really don't care, seeing my two PCs have gotten double the points of what took my mac a month in about 3 days.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 12, 2003, 02:27 PM
ah, well, this might have given me a few points, I haven't had that many failed cores......

I wonder if they've been forced into doing this because of complaints?

D

bertinman
Aug 12, 2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

I wonder if they've been forced into doing this because of complaints?

very good chance of that...

Mr. Anderson
Aug 12, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
very good chance of that...

ha! I know that you complained about losing a few WUs before - would be something you mentioned to them? :D

D

bertinman
Aug 12, 2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
ha! I know that you complained about losing a few WUs before - would be something you mentioned to them? :D

D

I acctually went to the forum to ask questions about it. Found the answer within three threads :).

mc68k
Aug 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
with rc5 i specify a -flush flag and it will dump all completed blocks.

folding is behind in many areas but i'm glad to see them coming round. with lab reimages ive prob lost hundreds if not thousands of partial points. i guess it's stanford's loss ultimately.

Vlade
Aug 13, 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
with lab reimages ive prob lost hundreds if not thousands of partial points. i guess it's stanford's loss ultimately.

Are you getting those back? We need you to help fend of the knights

mc68k
Aug 13, 2003, 07:35 PM
that windows worm f*cked up the campus so bad that they shut down our network. all the folding machines were infected :(

so u might see lower output from me for a while

MrMacMan
Aug 13, 2003, 07:53 PM
that windows worm f*cked up the campus so bad that they shut down our network. all the folding machines were infected :(

:(

Very Sorry to hear that.

This is why worms and virus's in general are bad news for computers as a whole.

BAH!

PyroTurtle
Aug 13, 2003, 09:03 PM
stupid worm almost got the lab i work at...just trying to get them on team mac rumors...2 PC's down, 2000 to go...

bertinman
Aug 13, 2003, 09:25 PM

yours too? UCD closed port 135 for awhile in hope to let the admins patch the comps before any real damage could happen. Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't. Got an email that within 3 hours of reopening the port that 210 computers were flooding the network with port scans... insane. About 40 or so comps in my subnet were crazy before hand, so I had a head start at defending against it. I think I converted about 10 profs to (or back to) the mac because of the virus though--they saw my G3 humming along downloading fixes for their new Dells :).

otherwise, I think my folding machines are OK. *crosses fingers* my old boss who does those comps went on vacation :eek:.

mc68k
Aug 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
yeah the unix guy said that the firewall was getting as much as 3000 hits/sec on some ports

he said he was going to start tallying department offenses and charging for troubleshooting network problems. not like he troubleshooted much besides shutting down our dept router

bertinman
Aug 14, 2003, 11:52 AM
yeah the unix guy said that the firewall was getting as much as 3000 hits/sec on some ports

he said he was going to start tallying department offenses and charging for troubleshooting network problems. not like he troubleshooted much besides shutting down our dept router

what a punk!

what is his job anyway? if he is in control of the firewall he should tell you whats going on so you can fix the problem.

he's probably just upset because he had to do something other than play Doom ported to Linux :rolleyes:.

mc68k
Aug 14, 2003, 04:30 PM
he's on this page

http://security.sdsu.edu/forms/contact.php

bertinman
Aug 14, 2003, 06:45 PM
re: mc68k

i need to learn how to use sarcasm it seems. :o

this isn't the first time you've given me info that is an answer to my literal words when I am just posting a sympathetic comment :).

mc68k
Aug 14, 2003, 06:47 PM
oh the beauty of online communication and my eagerness to type :)

Vlade
Sep 3, 2003, 06:00 PM
Uhg, my mac just stopped at exactly 50%, at least that is still 27 points for me, I would have been pissed if this happened before the new rules.