PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store in Seoul, Korea

MacBytes
Aug 12, 2003, 12:32 PM
Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple Store in Seoul, Korea (http://macnn.com/news/20582)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Alte22a
Aug 12, 2003, 12:34 PM
Cool!! be nice to be there too as well as Japan.... How about HK and Taiwan?

Sayhey
Aug 12, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple Store in Seoul, Korea (http://macnn.com/news/20582)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

I'd be really suprised if this is one of Apple's retail stores. Apple made a big splash about the Tokoyo store being the first overseas Apple store and this would be in contradiction to all of those announcements. More likely it is a locally owned company opening a store that will specialize in Apple products.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 12, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
I'd be really suprised if this is one of Apple's retail stores. Apple made a big splash about the Tokoyo store being the first overseas Apple store and this would be in contradiction to all of those announcements. More likely it is a locally owned company opening a store that will specialize in Apple products.

i was thinking the same thing. the ginza store was definitely stated to be the first apple retail store overseas, right? maybe this is a 3rd party store with apple helping in some way? hmm

Sayhey
Aug 12, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
i was thinking the same thing. the ginza store was definitely stated to be the first apple retail store overseas, right? maybe this is a 3rd party store with apple helping in some way? hmm

Same thing happened awhile back around some South African stores. Turned out to be something other than a Apple owned retail store.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 12, 2003, 07:14 PM
Apple Store means owned and run by Apple. that means there might be T-Shirt Tubes! Must go and expand collection! lol:p

tazo
Aug 12, 2003, 07:58 PM
I think that Apple should definitely expand its retail stores to high-end locales like Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc. It seems like a poor idea to have 30 locations in California and then only have 1 retail store outside the U.S.

Hopefully the opening of this Ginza apple store will push Apple to open more like it....

Sayhey
Aug 12, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by tazo
I think that Apple should definitely expand its retail stores to high-end locales like Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc. It seems like a poor idea to have 30 locations in California and then only have 1 retail store outside the U.S.

Hopefully the opening of this Ginza apple store will push Apple to open more like it....

Heh, tazo, that's 14, not 30, stores in California. It looks like there are at least 3 more planned, but that's a long way from 30. But you're right they need more locations like the Ginza store throughout the world. They did say this is the first overseas Apple store, not the last.

tazo
Aug 12, 2003, 10:11 PM
Heh, tazo, that's 14, not 30, stores in California. It looks like there are at least 3 more planned, but that's a long way from 30. But you're right they need more locations like the Ginza store throughout the world. They did say this is the first overseas Apple store, not the last.

there are more than 14 if i do recall...maybe 14 within ten minutes of ya :D

Sayhey
Aug 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
there are more than 14 if i do recall...maybe 14 within ten minutes of ya :D

Now, I wish there were 14 that close, but here are the California stores:
1 - Burlingame, 2 - Costa Mesa, 3 - Emeryville, 4 - Glendale, 5 - Los Angeles, 6 - Newport Beach, 7 - Northridge, 8 - Palo Alto, 9 - Pasadena, 10 - Sacramento, 11 - San Diego, 12 - Santa Clara, 13 - Santa Monica, & 14 - Walnut Creek.

Three more are planned in San Francisco, Corte Madera, and a second San Diego store. :p Yeah, I know compared to other places it sounds like a lot, but we've got close to 34 million people in the golden state, and with this whole recall craziness we need all the diversions we can get. ;)

tazo
Aug 13, 2003, 12:49 AM
Apple: Not going to be recalled.

lol new slogan. I hear ya and I know Apple's home turf needs to be represented, but Seattle, WA is a cultural metropolis and it seems a bit off that even though it has a population of over 1 million persons, hosts a large tech. oriented community, and has many retail locations suitable for upscale computer buying, it lacks an apple store...

Sayhey
Aug 13, 2003, 01:05 AM
Apple: Not going to be recalled.

lol new slogan. I hear ya and I know Apple's home turf needs to be represented, but Seattle, WA is a cultural metropolis and it seems a bit off that even though it has a population of over 1 million persons, hosts a large tech. oriented community, and has many retail locations suitable for upscale computer buying, it lacks an apple store...

You're right, tazo! Help is on the way and before the end of the year you are likely to have your wish. Right now you do have the Bellevue store which is pretty close. We should of course bear in mind the poor souls in Kansas City, Jacksonville and other big cities with no store for hundreds of miles - naah! ;)

tazo
Aug 13, 2003, 01:09 AM
You're right, tazo! Help is on the way and before the end of the year you are likely to have your wish. Right now you do have the Bellevue store which is pretty close. We should of course bear in mind the poor souls in Kansas City, Jacksonville and other big cities with no store for hundreds of miles - naah! ;)

Bellevue is a great city and I love walking around in Bellevue Sq. but it doesnt have the same feel as downtown Seattle...if you live here you might understand....

Sayhey
Aug 13, 2003, 01:20 AM
Bellevue is a great city and I love walking around in Bellevue Sq. but it doesnt have the same feel as downtown Seattle...if you live here you might understand....

Let me get this straight, you have a store in Bellevue, a new one to be opened shortly in Seattle's University Village, and you want another one in downtown Seattle? tazo, you're getting as greedy as me! ;)

tazo
Aug 13, 2003, 01:41 AM
Let me get this straight, you have a store in Bellevue, a new one to be opened shortly in Seattle's University Village, and you want another one in downtown Seattle? tazo, you're getting as greedy as me! ;)

university village is not Seattle, again I ask if you have ever lived here ;)

Sayhey
Aug 13, 2003, 02:37 AM
university village is not Seattle, again I ask if you have ever lived here ;)

My mistake, I thought the university village was within Seattle city limits. No I've never lived there. I've only been lucky enough to visit a few times. It has been a while.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 14, 2003, 10:59 AM
Apple Korea has opened an Apple Experience Center at the COEX Mall in southern Seoul as part of efforts to reach out to the area's PC users, according to the Korea Herald. The new Apple Experience Center is being operated by Macrobiz, a partner firm that is currently in charge of Apple Korea's retail sales. The store will sell Macs, software and the latest gadgets. It will also provide full customer support. Apple said it will open additional Apple Experience Centers in Gangnam subway station, Apgujeong, and Sinchon.

--courtesy macminute

bennetsaysargh
Aug 14, 2003, 11:01 AM
thanks ambrose.
i thought it would be an apple store. oh well. not like i would be able to go there for the opening:p

Sayhey
Aug 14, 2003, 11:24 AM
Ambrose,
thanks for clearing that up.

Sayhey
Aug 14, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
Apple Korea has opened an Apple Experience Center at the COEX Mall in southern Seoul as part of efforts to reach out to the area's PC users, according to the Korea Herald. The new Apple Experience Center is being operated by Macrobiz, a partner firm that is currently in charge of Apple Korea's retail sales. The store will sell Macs, software and the latest gadgets. It will also provide full customer support. Apple said it will open additional Apple Experience Centers in Gangnam subway station, Apgujeong, and Sinchon.

--courtesy macminute

MacCentral also has confirmation of what you're saying, Ambrose, at:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/14/korea/

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 09:11 PM
My mistake, I thought the university village was within Seattle city limits. No I've never lived there. I've only been lucky enough to visit a few times. It has been a while.

heh yeah its part of seattle but I consider Seattle the vast downtown area :D

Sayhey
Aug 14, 2003, 09:27 PM
heh yeah its part of seattle but I consider Seattle the vast downtown area :D

Now, you're just messing with me, tazo! Ok, send me your personal boundries for the city of Seattle, then I'll know what we're talking about! Hey, like your new avatar. :cool:

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
Now, you're just messing with me, tazo! Ok, send me your personal boundries for the city of Seattle, then I'll know what we're talking about! Hey, like your new avatar. :cool:

heh thanks....

I am just joking with ya man Seattle is Seattle, but I just prefer the downtown/Belltown area to the U-district.

Squire
Oct 18, 2003, 09:30 AM
Man, I have to look more closely at these forums. I didn't even know this thing was opening. (Saw it on the Korean Apple Store site a few days ago.)

Well, the location couldn't be better. They're definitely going to have their fair share of traffic. Huge bookstore on one side, massive X-Box gaming cafe on another. It looked very Apple Store-ish. There were white walls, lots of iPods, a low table of eMacs with kids games, and a projector/screen area at the back showing Steve's little speech from the other day. All in all, pretty cool. Now I just need 680,000 Korean Won (that's the currency ;))for a 40 GB iPod.

Squire