Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
i'm about to get a new macbook. this will be my first intel mac and i'll be putting parrels on it because of the demo's i have seen i can just run windows programs inside mac. So i was wondering, if i wanted a more updated version of msn messenger, is it possible to have the windows version in my dock. So i can open it and it will run fine etc. ??? -thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
i'm about to get a new macbook. this will be my first intel mac and i'll be putting parrels on it because of the demo's i have seen i can just run windows programs inside mac. So i was wondering, if i wanted a more updated version of msn messenger, is it possible to have the windows version in my dock. So i can open it and it will run fine etc. ??? -thanks.

Yes, but Adium is a lot better than MSN, and it will take a little while to start up (assuming Parallels is on 'Pause') two apps will have to start up...

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
i'm not a big fan of adium but thats just me. i found it difficult to edit simple things (the sounds it makes when someone logs in)...i would appreciate if you could tell me how to do this :) thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
i'm not a big fan of adium but thats just me. i found it difficult to edit simple things (the sounds it makes when someone logs in)...i would appreciate if you could tell me how to do this :) thanks.

Adium -> Preferences -> Events :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
...i would appreciate if you could tell me how to do this :) thanks.

In case you're asking how to put apps in the dock and not how to customize Adium... ;)

http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot.com/2007/02/ask-ben-anything-vista-compliance.html

Is there an easy way to add/remove Windows apps from my dock in Coherence? Kind of a pain to go to Windowed mode, open an app, then select "keep in dock".

There are two easy ways, actually. If you go into your Windows virtual machine file (located in home -> library -> Parallels), you'll now see a folder called "Windows Applications." This folder houses a shortcut to every Windows app you've opened in your VM. Just drag an icon to your application dock and you're set.

There's also a very cool third-party application called Valet which offers easy access to all of your applications, Windows or Mac. Valet will inutively learn which apps you use most, and help you organize them into categories for easier access. I've been playing with Valet on my Mac for some time, and I find it indispensible for quick access to my Windows and Mac applications, especially when working in Coherence. You can learn more about Valet and try it out here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.