PDA

View Full Version : Newby Questions with PowerMac G3 Blue&White

TomBud
Sep 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
Okay, So I was looking at new IMacs because I tried video capture/editing on a PC and it was horrible. But I found a PowerMac G3 tower (Blue/white) that maybe I can use and the price is very right (< $5)
I've done some reading and my questions are:
Can I put in any type IDE hdrive? (I know it only sees up to 128gb, that's ok)
Can I put in any type IDE DVD+/-RW? (It has a cdrw in it currently)
Can I use any standard usb keyboard and mouse?
If I purchase 10.4 OS (which I've read is the optimum) does that come with video editing software, like the I-life '07 on new ones? Of course it won't be I-life '07, or '06 for that matter but I just need something that will do standard def. video capture/editing. It has firewire on the back and that's what my camera uses.
Thanks for any answers you can give. I *can* get a new IMac but would like to keep the $1199 in my pocket if at all possible.
TomBud

suneohair
Sep 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
1. Yes you can put an IDE in, however any newer drive would be a waste since the G3 has a 33mhz IDE bus. You could go with a controller card, although I don't know if you would be able to boot from it. Also, there is a driver you can buy that will let OS X see bigger drives once booted into OS X.

2. Yes you can put a DVD burner, but again I don't know you would get maximum bandwidth out of the G3 for burning DVDs.

3. You can use a standard USB keyboard and mouse.

4. I don't think 10.4 would run very well on a G3. I have a Dual 500 G4 and OS X run OK on it. And that is with 1GB and a 64MB graphics card. You could do it, but it wouldn't be pretty. The OS would be using a big chunk of your resources and wouldn't leave very much for your video apps.

OS X does not come with iLife. That is a separate purchase.

While I wouldn't say you need an iMac. You could find a better older Mac than what you would be getting here. Quite honestly I don't think it would be very usable. I would get it cause it is so cheap though :) Look into a refurb/used mini or a Powermac g4. I got my DP 500 for $75.

yellow
Sep 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
I've done some reading and my questions are:
Can I put in any type IDE hdrive? (I know it only sees up to 128gb, that's ok)
Can I use any standard usb keyboard and mouse?

Yes.
Yes, I am pretty sure. Check http://www.macsales.com to be sure.
Yes.

If I purchase 10.4 OS (which I've read is the optimum) does that come with video editing software, like the I-life '07 on new ones?

No. If you buy retail OS X, you have to buy iLife separately.

Frankly, I don't think this computer meets the minimum requirements for ANY of the iLife suites since their inception. Unfortunately I'm on dial-up right now so I can't really check, but personally (IMO) I'd shoot somewhere more in the range of an MDD G4 Tower. Quicksilver if need be. But nothing less than that.

CanadaRAM
Sep 1, 2007, 11:36 AM

You can put it in; the degree of compatibility with the OS and the iApps will vary however. It may require Patchburn software to modify the Apple compatibility -- or Toast as an alternative to the OS burning capability. Check www.xlr8yourmac.com drive compatibility database for information on the specific drive you are thinking of.

TomBud
Sep 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks all. I may save up my pennies and pass on this.

TomBud
Oct 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
Okay, So I did get it (the G3 B&W) And I paid for OS-X and I-Life 05. I also put a 20gb hdrive (may upgrade to 40gb or 80gb soon!) and also a DVD-writer. Question is: I-Dvd says there is no supported hardware.
Yet I-movie seems to see it and ?may? write to it if I ever get a movie made. Also System Profiler shows the dvd-writer under 'Disc Burning' with Atap, Burn Support-Yes (vendor supported) and all associated items.
What gives? How do I get i-DVD to work?
I have 1gb memory too.
It's pretty, no, It's really cool!! My kids love it!
Thx
TomC

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 06:57 PM
What DVD burner did you decide on using?

TomBud
Oct 13, 2007, 07:10 PM
It's a Micro-Advanatge model 16DDVDRW-A13, looks like it's actually an AOPEN DUW1608/ARR or similiar.
Thx

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 07:14 PM
It's a Micro-Advanatge model 16DDVDRW-A13, looks like it's actually an AOPEN DUW1608/ARR or similiar.
ThxOS X itself is a little more forgiving when it comes to using a DVD burner. The best support for the 5.25" form factor being the Pioneer and Sony/NEC line of drives.

iDVD is very picky about drives.

TomBud
Oct 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
Okay, Thanks. I just happen to have a Sony writer in the box here that I was going to install in my upcoming Vista MCE experiment (since it has a black bezel) but may drop it in my Mac and see if it ticks. BTW - did i-Life 05 include i-Web? Just wondering, I have the link to Apple releases here somewhere in my over-organized bookmarks.
Thx

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
Okay, Thanks. I just happen to have a Sony writer in the box here that I was going to install in my upcoming Vista MCE experiment (since it has a black bezel) but may drop it in my Mac and see if it ticks. BTW - did i-Life 05 include i-Web? Just wondering, I have the link to Apple releases here somewhere in my over-organized bookmarks.
ThxiLife '06 was the first version that came with iWeb.

It won't hurt to try the Sony drive. Which version of OS X did you end up using?

TomBud
Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
OS X 10.3 and the guy had the 10.4 upgrade disc. Original stuff, legal. Also with the i-life 05, in the box. Hey, it's good for the kids to use while I play on my new iMac 20". I'm a pc guy for the last 21 yrs and recently bought the iMac because I tried to make a DVD on my PC (3.ghz, 2gb ram, etc...) and it worked, somewhat, unitl we mailed the DVD round the world to my parent's 50th anniversary and the DVD didn't play correctly. That was it! Only let down is that the iMac pulls-in DV in realtime, not fast like the PC, but I guess I can do my transfers on the weekends when I'm home.
T--

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 07:32 PM
I've noticed that newer versions of OS X tend to be more third party drive friendly. Sadly this means that you might need to upgrade your copy of iLife as well.

I'm using a Benq DVD-ROM in a PowerMac G3 right now. It was a pain trying plug in a FireWire drive each time I wanted to read a DVD.

OS X shows it as ATAPI 16X DVD-ROM. :rolleyes:

At least it reads DVDs and that's what matters.

disconap
Oct 14, 2007, 06:38 AM
I never even bother with the Apple apps, they're too picky about hardware. I make disc images of everything and burn them with Toast. Just my 2 cents (as someone who still uses a b/w for lots of projects).

Eidorian
Oct 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
I never even bother with the Apple apps, they're too picky about hardware. I make disc images of everything and burn them with Toast. Just my 2 cents (as someone who still uses a b/w for lots of projects).Most other applications seem to work just fine with any burner. The problem is that this user wants to use iDVD. :p

Cromulent
Oct 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
A 20GB drive is very small for video editing. You'll probably only be able to fit 20 minutes or so (standard definition DV) on there without running into trouble. Plus the fact that you would be capturing onto the main hard drive which is not recommend.

What drive did you have for your scratch disk?

Not-a-cliche
Oct 14, 2007, 02:25 PM
I-life '07 does not exist. It's called iLife '08.

TomBud
Oct 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
Scratch disk? Well...ummm..I guess I'll put that 40gb in there as a 2d hdrv now. But is it in vain? I mean, if I want to make videos and use IMovie but can't burn them with IDvd, maybe I'll just..well, don't really know what I'll do with it. I mean, I got it for next to nothing and put $40 worth of OS & apps on it, along with some memory. Do I post it for sale now? Can I use it with windows as a music/video repository (will windows MCE see the files on it?) See, I told you I don't know nothing about Macs. This has been a great learning project nonetheless; And your posts are teaching me.
There's your answer - for someone who asks 'Why are you on the computer, again?" You say - "I'm Teaching TomBud!"
Thxall

Eidorian
Oct 14, 2007, 03:22 PM
I believe that this Power Mac G3 really isn't the best solution for using iDVD. You'd be better off served be a newer machine.

You can share music via iTunes Music sharing or enabling file sharing to Windows.

Cromulent
Oct 14, 2007, 03:37 PM
Scratch disk? Well...ummm..I guess I'll put that 40gb in there as a 2d hdrv now. But is it in vain? I mean, if I want to make videos and use IMovie but can't burn them with IDvd, maybe I'll just..well, don't really know what I'll do with it.

Even a 40GB drive as a scratch disk would only give you just under 4 hours worth of video. DV (digital video) takes up about 12GBs for one hours worth of footage.

I'm not sure I would recommend that computer for iMovie usage really. It'll work but it won't be fun.

Eidorian
Oct 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
I guess that $5 wasn't too bad for a starter Mac. It might be time to move up to something a little more powerful.

If you decide on doing that, we'll be more then happy to help. ;)