Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
before general discussion, there was a lot of inappropriate flaming, and other unmetionable posts in the article, hardware, and software sections of macrumors and a lot of feelings were hurt

now that macrumors, arn, and blakespot put up this free for all section, the other sections of this site have cleaned up considerably and the insults are kept to a minimum

the wild stuff and off topic stuff happens in this section and it really keeps the other areas more or less safe which i like

the only gripe i have is that a lot of the passionate, and really interesting hardware and article information, is no longer there and many have felt that strong opinions on anything mac only belong in the general discussions area of this site

what do you guys think?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
We are only now adapting.

Only in the last week have I seen the Forums getting ballanced after the Chaos of the Jan-March release season.

General discussion gets used cuz the more oppinionated newbies don't come around as much.It's also become the "proving ground" for the community to organize around who's being problematic and deal with the problem.

It also helps to diffuse the rampant ego-bound speculation wars when we can come here and go off into theorem land for a while and come away with better understanding.

On a more somber note, a little political commentary:

I can't escape the war in Israel / Palestine. It's embarassing on a very personal level.....as a human being......to see 2 whole nations of ONE lineage engaged in a national Tantrum resulting in only death and mayhem. I have ceased caring who slighted who first. Abraham is dead. Live like adults for once.

Send in the Clowns.

Send in 2 million Clowns. The Clowns carry only body armor and the tools of their trade. Anyone with a gun gets a pie in the face. I'm sick of it. It's silly and it only deserves an equally silly response.

Clowns of the world Unite!! There CAN be world peace. Peace through the pie in the face.

We need to see Sharon and Arafat in a staduim with a wheel-barrow load of manure each. Let them throw **** at each other till they feel better. Once everybody's had a good laugh we can just call them all Cainenites and never have to see this crap on CNN again.

Okay. I fell better now.

mischief out.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: We are only now adapting.

Originally posted by mischief

Send in the Clowns.

Sounds like a good solution :) Or what about something like in sierra leon, where militants can take their weapons in and exchange them for a computer? Obviously, if you bring in a piece of heavy artillery then you would be rewarded with a superior computer, namely a mac!

Just curious though, who qualifies as an old-timer? :confused:

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i guess an oldtimer is one who used to remember when the other sections on the board were used for personal flamewars in 2000 and much of 2001

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Nope. Just pies.

Everybody gets the following deal:

Rifle=10Pies

Heavy Assault Rifle=20Pies

Mortar/bodybomb=20Pies&10Seltzers.

Politicians get to duel with cowflops.;)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
jefhatfield, I'm not very sure what you mean, your whay to think is a bit confuse but what I understand is the you want to still in focus with only Mac comments or related.

Let me explain you something, what is going on in Macrumors is that, beside Mac topics, this is becoming a comunity, a very good one because new people are accepted. As a comunity we are togather here because we have something in common but as we are learning about each other personality, that lead us to fall in to other levels of comunication=topics. Always around the Mac discussions and sometimes not so Mac related.

The important thing is to wellcome new people, that means not starting a threat that won't be familiar to others like the GoCyrus ralated, at that point I'm agree with you.

What I may not share (if this is the case) is to deny the option or the posibility of getting sometime out of topic.

Face something, many of us have been aroun for some time, how many times are we gonna discuss the same things? (is the G5 coming or not? is the G4 good or bat at this time? are we gonna have new powerbook and when? etc). As a usual visitor some thimes for me is more fun to tease some one that talk about something again and again.

Let me give you a cultural exchange to show you I undertand your view and from where I'm coming from with mine.

Is very common to the people that lives out side of the US, to say that the people of the US are "cold people", and I found something that can contribute to that "image".

A few years ago (1992) I went to Arkansas as an exchange student. What I realice was that every body was nice, funny, etc, but the realtionships didn't go farther. After a few months in high school I realice that is not possible to stablish a deeper kind of relationship with your class mates if you spend just one hour a day with them for only six months, and after a few years that creates a cultural dinamic. The rest of the echange student (9 of them) that where with me (from Germany, Switzwerland, Spain, Panamá and me from Venezuela), have the same school system. We spend 8 years of our life with the same group of 30 people, from primary school to senior year. Of course we learn how to mantaing deper levels of relationship beyond the school related topics.

That is what is going on here, even my example is very subjective, it describes what is going on here, and may be for you looks a bit strange because is not that normal. If you go to a venezuelan forum for example the atmostphere would be so different, at this time every body would know each other personally or in some other level.

We are spending a lot of time here, so is normal to talk about some other things, specially when nothing is really going on at Apple right now.

What we have to mantaing and most of the people do, is to be clear that this is an Apple related site, and I do not think that is gonna be a problem.

Last week I share something about my brother, but it was Apple related because I needed a filter for my internet explorer.

We just have to avoy situations like the GoCyrus cases, and I mean the Therats develop agains him, that is a very bad image for Macrumors.

That is it.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
So tell me, I'm curious, do you consider the number of posts or the registration date or a combination of both when considering people for "oldtimer" status? In either case, I'd say you definitely qualify. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It seems to me that the old timers would be ones that have been here long enough to have seen things change, people come/go, the boards updated format, etc. I've only been here several months myself, but I don't know anything about GoCyrus, only rumors. I went looking for his posts, but all reference has been removed.

Any old-timer care to elaborate?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
RE: Gocyrus

He caused enough trouble that there was a short war of posts between he and several of us.

Arn nuked him flat.

His own website got dropped.

We finally got rid of him when (I think) he tried hacking the site.

It got to a point where I went out and found all other 'net references to him were similar: He's an Ass, He's egotistical and his music sux.

He was like a mix of the worst of John123/Spikey/etc. all rolled up in 1 unemployed redneck.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Back in the Day

Dont remember when this was (may have been recent) but someone pointed out a mac vs. pc thing on the P.O.D forums. That cause alot of problems and arguments. The for about a week we were swamped by PC user from the website. As for the adding of the general box I think its cool but I have noticed how alot of people seem to have left or become bored w/ the rumors part. Maybe its just cuz this is off season for hardware updates. But I was gone for a few months during lent so I missed the entire change and the booting of GoCyrus

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: oldtimers

I've been here since January 2001 so does that count me?

mishchief...I think u said it best....and what kind of celebration dance are u gonna do for 1000? :p

As far as the General Discussion threads go...I think they were a great idea. Flame wars aren't nearly as rampant as they have been in the past...especially since GoCyrus is GoneAway...

I think the strongly opinionated threads are being put in General Discussion now because they aren't about specific "rumors" but rather opinions being thrown back and forth to each other. These threads tend to ramble on & on and end up being so much "tit-for-tat" that they become overwhelming to even begin deciphering.

all that said....I like the new setup... :p

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I am kind of an old timer in that Ensign Paris is my third username (I first started late 2000, the I started again in the summer holidays of 2001 and then Ensign Paris (My handle from AmbrosiaSWs boards) came into liƒe and since then I have not bothered to leave, and I don't plan on leaveing anytime soon!

I like the general discussion but I do think rumors and what this site is for and that is what we should mainly talk about. But I will live if we don't!

Down with Spymac!

Ensign

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: GoCyrus

Actually towards the end there he seemed to be posting actual Mac related items...weird...

Anyway, I think the General Discussion section is a great way to filter out a lot of the BS from the Rumors/Hardware/Software sections. I post a lot of the stuff I come across on the web there. I think it's a good area for us to talk about topics ranging from "Mac related" to "computer related" to "personal beliefs" to "what we're doing this weekend".

I think it adds to community, as mymemory said, giving us a much more coherent idea of who the other people are who come to the forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Just thought, anybody want to meet up at AppleExpo Paris?

Just so you know I will have my "Mac Genius" t-shirt on with 'ENSIGN PARIS' printed on the back!

Ensign

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: AppleExpo Paris

I wish...it would give me a chance to practice my French (justifying my BA degree)

I don't see myself making it across the pond anytime soon...hell, I've never been to MWSF and I live in CA!!! :rolleyes:

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i agree

hey, you are almost at 1000

Arn doesn't like those "I agree" posts, and I think that they are also anoying. People shouldn't post unless they have something to add to the discussion. What is the point of just saying something like "I agree." The only thing that it helps is the post count, and that is a stupid way of raising it. I am not flaming you or anyone here, but we should be more careful about our "junk," "fluff", and "doesn't have to do with the topic posts.";)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by me hate windows

Arn doesn't like those "I agree" posts, and I think that they are also anoying. People shouldn't post unless they have something to add to the discussion. What is the point of just saying something like "I agree." The only thing that it helps is the post count, and that is a stupid way of raising it. I am not flaming you or anyone here, but we should be more careful about our "junk," "fluff", and "doesn't have to do with the topic posts.";)

Oh yeah!?! I think those "Hey, you shouldn't do that" posts are annoying and a complete waste of time and bandwidth...so you shouldn't do that!

:D ;) :p

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I agree.

He he he. You asked for it.

Well, since I'm writing I'd just like to say that I regularly check this website 2-3 times a day whether or not I post on it. Yeah, sometimes the topics really blow, but there is really nothing major to talk about right now. At times like these I like helping out tech questions best because they are not overshadowed by an Apple release, and it gives people much needed help.

Hey, if the board was the same all of the time...it'd get pretty boring.

-Pete

P.S> Do I count as an old-timer? I've been around for a while even though my post count isn't over 50 bajillion.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Just thought, anybody want to meet up at AppleExpo Paris?

Just so you know I will have my "Mac Genius" t-shirt on with 'ENSIGN PARIS' printed on the back!

Ensign

u know I had somewhat an opportunity to be in France this summer but it's just not financially feasible for me to do so... :(

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Expo Paris

When is the apple expo in paris? I've always loved that city for some reason, even if it is full of french.... I've never been to an apple expo before, it could be interestin, plus it's only a 3 hour train journey away!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
damn, that's a shame. I'll be in venezuela at the time for my brothers wedding.

Still, enjoy the expo ensign!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.