Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
MacBook Pro in a Mini Case

Dedicated graphics
Dual-link DVI out
Up to 4GB of RAM

What's so hard about that? For many of us who already own large monitors, we don't need an iMac and the regular Mini falls too far short. The Mac Pro, on the other hand, is overkill for most of us.

Give us an aluminum Mac Mini Pro, charge appropriately, and watch it fly off the shelves.

I want a Mac Mini Pro. How about you?

Add your name to the list.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I think mostly everyone on this site wants one, including myself. But I doubt Apple would ever do that.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
While I would love to see this option, but with the current Mac Mini Pricing @ $799 for the High-End and the low-end iMac @ $1199, where would they place the Mini Pro?

I really can't seem them fitting dedicated graphics of any real power in a Mini Sized Case.

Whatcha doing on that 30" Display?

(Dual PowerMac G5 Too Big?)

Tracer

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
But why not? Very little retooling for Apple, and I am sure that they can sell them for a lot and make a very hefty margin on them. Current Mini + dedicated graphics. Almost no cost to develop, no new parts needed. It should be a no-brainer for them.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
It would be brilliant to have, but i really cant see Apple doing something like this.

But i'll sign up to anything like this.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Actually, I'd like to see the opposite, I want a Mini Mini. When the Mac Mini came out it was $500 and it was really tempting to get a couple just to setup in different rooms and to give out to friends and family. But then they changed the base price to $600, crossing the threshold that making it no longer a cheap box that you can buy with little reason. If they made a $400 mini with stripped down specs then they'd sell like hot cakes!

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
So, basically you want a re-born cube? Remember: the cube didn't do so well although it's a marvelous machine.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
So, basically you want a re-born cube? Remember: the cube didn't do so well although it's a marvelous machine.

The Cube was also expensive. If this so called "Mini Pro" had enough room for a 3.5" Hard Drive and desktop processors, Apple would save a fair amount of money. In fact, a 2.5" 5400rpm 160 GB Hard Drive that the Mini uses currently retails at around $100, while a 3.5" 7200rpm 160GB Hard Drive is about half that at just $50. Another benefit, is that 3.5" HDD can go up to 1 TB of storage on a single HD. Savings for desktop processors are also similarly large (although they'd have to think about cooling more).

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I still don't see why apple doesn't release something like this. Most pcs are just boxes stuffed with parts, apples only reply is the mini and the macpro.

The only reason I have a windows machine is to game, as paying the entry price for a macpro is a little extreme. People say the imac is the solution, but I don't need the monitor, just the desktop.

Sadly I don't see it happening, but if it did, my pc would be sold in a heartbeat and I would snatch one up.

jrichman63

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Pacifica, CA
Yeah I'm in but still gonna get the next version of the 8 octo-core MacPro SS w/ top of line gfx card.

I love my first mac basline mac mini 1.8 core 2 duo

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I'd buy one, if it had a 3.5" hard drive and wasn't any more expensive than the current Mini's. That won't happen though... it would be too competitive with the Mac Pro (despite having far less expandability).

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
MacBook Pro in a Mini Case

Dedicated graphics
Dual-link DVI out
Up to 4GB of RAM

What's so hard about that? For many of us who already own large monitors, we don't need an iMac and the regular Mini falls too far short. The Mac Pro, on the other hand, is overkill for most of us.

Give us an aluminum Mac Mini Pro, charge appropriately, and watch it fly off the shelves.

I want a Mac Mini Pro. How about you?

Add your name to the list.

I'd buy one, if it had a 3.5" hard drive and wasn't any more expensive than the current Mini's. That won't happen though... it would be too competitive with the Mac Pro (despite having far less expandability).

What they need is "Mac". It fits between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro.
It will have
per netdogs:
dedicated graphics
dual link DVI out
4GB Max (via Santa Rosa platform)

per atari1356:
single internal 3.5" hard drive

My additions:
some sort of expansion slot - PCI Express or ExpressCard/34

Form factor? Mini-towerish?

The devil with this thing is the pricing. Where do you price it? No more than $1199 I'd think. Unless of course they drop the price of the Mac Mini, but I don't see that happening.

Of course, nothing here is new, there are lot's of threads for a mini tower mac out there....

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Can I be added to the list of people who don't. I really like the way Apple have cut up the market. 3 desktops, 2 laptops = simplicity. Less work for me having to look after them :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Can the Admins just make these kind of threads a sticky. I agree with those that want to be able to strip down their machines and find the MacPro too expensive or too big, but it has been done to death (since 2000) and Apple hasn't made one yet.

pigoz

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Milan, Italy
I would love a Mac in minitower form factor: not as small as the cube.. I would say two times the size of a cube. It should be expandible only to a certain degree: let make it have only one hard disk, make it easy to upgrade RAM and video card and to change hard disk.

I know its kinda against apple's view on consumer products, but it would be the definitive machine for the power-user.
Only thing is they have to make the Mac Pro much more appealing to professionals with some exclusive features. That way the Mac will not cannibalize the Mac Pro market.

A minitower Mac would be the #1 switchers' and gamers' choice :)

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Frankly I think the Mac Pro's are already cannibalized by:
- people who end up getting iMacs or even Mini's instead
- people who end up sticking with/buying pc's instead
- people who delay upgrading their Macs due to cost of Mac Pro's (my old company was in that boat—Windows machines ended up getting upgraded before the designer's Macs)

Apple isn't making any of those three groups very happy. They make the low end mini and the high end Mac Pro, there really is a gaping hole in the mid-range for those who don't want an all-in-one. The situation was better in the past when at times there was a $1500-ish single proc PowerMac spec available.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
Actually, I'd like to see the opposite, I want a Mini Mini. When the Mac Mini came out it was $500 and it was really tempting to get a couple just to setup in different rooms and to give out to friends and family. But then they changed the base price to $600, crossing the threshold that making it no longer a cheap box that you can buy with little reason. If they made a $400 mini with stripped down specs then they'd sell like hot cakes!

I have a mac mini!

I bought it last november when they first came out and I got the lower end. 512mb ram, 60gb hd. It was great until I started putting stuff on it.

Lately it's been running real slow, so I deleted about 5 gigs of movies, pictures and music off of my harddrive. It runs a little better now, but I talked to apple support online and they said to install more memory, so I'm still going to take it to the local apple store and have them install 1gb memory.

I was thinking about saving up for a refurbed macbook pro, but seeing as my paychecks are generally 200-300$, i really can't afford it. So I'm going to go dish out $150 for new ram.

Moral of the story?
If apple made the mini with any lower specs, it wouldn't be able to run garage band, and safari / firefox would crash a lot more than it does for me.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
DON'T get your RAM from Apple. You will save a bundle by installing it yourself, and buying the sticks of RAM online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.