Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
did anyone else notice the scan on the (planet) Pirate Homeworld that said "Metroid project Dread is nearing completion"? Isn't Dread the codename for the next 2D Metroid game?

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
did anyone else notice the scan on the (planet) Pirate Homeworld that said "Metroid project Dread is nearing completion"? Isn't Dread the codename for the next 2D Metroid game?

That's the rumor, Dread is to be a new 2D Metroid for the DS, I think.

That's sounds all good, I just hope it resembles Super Metroid though more than the GBA Metroids. Something about the GBA versions kinda stunk, maybe it was the anime-ish cutscenes, Samus's extremely quick speed that seemed almost jarring and sudden, or the hand-holding of the game to lead you exactly where to go...oh yeah, SPINESHARKING. :mad:

Also, am I the only one who wants a rerelease of Metroid 2? I think that one was very underrated; the Zelda II and Mario Bros. 2 of the Metroid franchise.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Dread was a rumored codename for a 2D Metroid DS game.

It was thought to have been cancelled, or never existed in the first place. But I read about that scan and it has reinvigorated the conspiracy theorists, with good reason.

Looks like it may be real :D Prime 3 did reference a lot of other Metroid games...it talked about Zebes and SR388, for example.

Where on the planet was it? I haven't found that scan yet.

Also, has anyone discovered the secret message from Satoru Iwata?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Also, am I the only one who wants a rerelease of Metroid 2? I think that one was very underrated; the Zelda II and Mario Bros. 2 of the Metroid franchise.

Totally agree, Metroid 2's the only Metroid game I've never played. And it's probably the most important one, too, since Samus eradicates the Metroids in it!

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Totally agree, Metroid 2's the only Metroid game I've never played. And it's probably the most important one, too, since Samus eradicates the Metroids in it!

While I do agree that Zelda 2 and SMB 2 are underrated classics, Metroid 2 on the other hand is a horrible mess IMO. Samus' movements are slow, the sound effects (especially the low energy warning sound) are tedious on the ears, all the levels look the same which makes it even harder to navigate in a seemingly linear game. For instance, everytime you kill a metroid, a new path opens up off screen. The only problem is...you can never find it! I gave up on the game after numerous starts. Give it a try yourself, but be warned.

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
just wanted to say that I'm a fan of your screen name. ;)
I wear this name proud. :cool:
GFLPraxis said:
Most people harp on it because it's too linear...kill a set of metroids, then there's an earthquake, then you can descend deeper into the planet, and repeat. However, there's no map, which I'd consider more of a limitation of the Game Boy cartridge, but I personally think it was great without it. Gives you a very good "Where the hell am I?" vibe, adding to uncertainty. Also, you still had to explore the entire caves (again, mapless) to find the Metroids. I find it no more linear than the two GBA iterations; I find that rather than it being 'linear', instead I notice that there's pretty much no backtracking. But I think that game set atmosphere the best...with most Metroid games being very colorful, with #2 being on the Game Boy advance it lent it to the system's 'shades of gray' monochromatic scheme, and I think that supplemented the drab creepyness. The "music" was more like disturbing ambiance, and that was pretty different for it's time. Finally, when I played M2 back in the day, there would literally be times where I would not go down a certain cavern simply because I was too scared to.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Where on the planet was it? I haven't found that scan yet.

Also, has anyone discovered the secret message from Satoru Iwata?

It was in the room where you fight two Phazon-enhanced pirates for the first time (I think), the one with the big dead worm alien thing, that has a little passage you walk through. It's the room where you go into a morphball tunnel and have to weld something to get some doors to get power.. I think. Haha. I'll check for the specific room name later.

And yeah I found the secret message once, but forgot the order of the buttons, I know it uses 1, 2, 5, and 7...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
While I do agree that Zelda 2 and SMB 2 are underrated classics, Metroid 2 on the other hand is a horrible mess IMO. Samus' movements are slow, the sound effects (especially the low energy warning sound) are tedious on the ears, all the levels look the same which makes it even harder to navigate in a seemingly linear game. For instance, everytime you kill a metroid, a new path opens up off screen. The only problem is...you can never find it! I gave up on the game after numerous starts. Give it a try yourself, but be warned.
Well, that's why a remake would be good :D

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
The concourse area, the main place where you get from area to area, is very linear. I'm not sure how you'd get lost, just go back to that place, go down, and once you hit the lava you're near where you should be. And the low energy sound is noisy on the ears on almost every Metroid game; I find Zelda's worse, by far (Link to the Past is probably the worst).

Honestly, M2 isn't that bad. I beat this one back when I was like eight years old. Personally, I think it's far better than the original Metroid.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
If they are making another 2D Metroid, I hope it's as good as Super Metroid. That game was so amazing. Zero Mission was also very good, short but still good. Not Super Metroid good though.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I've been waiting for Metroid: Dread since the very first rumours of it a couple of years ago. It would be my dream come true. I would also love a port of Super Metroid on the DS, and a Metroid II remake (I have been spoiled by GBA Metroids, so I find it a bit old to play). 3D Metroid games are great, but i still prefer 2D Metroids. But I spend every waking hour feeling ashamed of myself for never playing Super Metroid. :( It's a shame the European Virtual Console doesn't have it yet, so I think I'll just get a SNES to play it on.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If you scan and read all the Lore you should be able to get an understanding of what's going on, especially since near the end of the game some of the Lore even covers Samus' earlier missions. Although you'll be totally lost as to the identity of Dark Samus; I'll just fill you in now.

Samus Aran's parents were killed in a space pirate raid led by Ridley. She was raised by a race called the Chozo. They've all but disappeared now, but they built her armor. She encountered a planet called Tallon IV, one of their big colonies, in the first Metroid Prime. It had been hit with a large meteor infected with a chemical called Phazon that mutated the life on the planet, corrupting things and eventually killing off the Chozo. The Metroids are jellyfish-like creatures that suck the life out of living things and generate extreme amounts of energy; one Metroid was mutated heavily and became the Metroid Prime, living inside the impact crator spreading the Phazon infection.

In Metroid Prime, Samus' final armor upgrade is the Phazon suit, which protects her from the effects of Phazon. After she kills Metroid Prime, in its death throes it rips off the Phazon armor and Samus escapes. In the secret ending its shown that Metroid Prime survives and encases itself inside Samus' Phazon armor, becoming Dark Samus.

In the second game you find another similarly infected world. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is all about Phazon, as you'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.