PDA

View Full Version : did I get decent deal on G3 iBook?

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hello -- I know virtually nothing about previous generation laptops, but needed a decent but cheap Apple laptop for office work. Won't be doing any heavy duty operations on it -- got a new iMac for that. Just need

Spent $125 on eBay for a G3 iBook, 600mhz, 128, 20gb.

Question -- I'm guessing wireless isn't built in on these. Any clue what card I need?

thanks

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:02 PM
That's a good deal. You'll need the original AirPort card. I'm selling one BTW (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348615).

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:05 PM
That's a good deal. You'll need the original AirPort card. I'm selling one BTW (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348615).

Thanks for the info. Let me get this thing and make sure it works before I spend more money on a card. But I'll look you up to see if you still have it once I get the machine and make sure all's well.
thanks

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Let me get this thing and make sure it works before I spend more money on a card. But I'll look you up to see if you still have it once I get the machine and make sure all's well.
thanksSure thing. If there's anything you need to know about the iBook too, I'll try to help.

I've had to support a few G3 ones in my day.

zakatov
Sep 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
The card might be worth as much if not more than the iBook itself.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
Sure thing. If there's anything you need to know about the iBook too, I'll try to help.

I've had to support a few G3 ones in my day.

Appreciate that. Here's a question for you -- will CS3 and Office 04 even run on it? Guessing Office 04 will, but I think I heard CS3 will only run on C2D.
thanks

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
Office 2004 will be fine. CS3 needs a G4 at least. Some of the applications in it can be Intel only as well.

You're definitely going to want a lot more RAM then 128 MB as well.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
Office 2004 will be fine. CS3 needs a G4 at least. Some of the applications in it can be Intel only as well.

Here's a stupid question if you don't mind. When I get the computer, if I run a Software Update, will it only detect updates that will run on G3?

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
Here's a stupid question if you don't mind. When I get the computer, if I run a Software Update, will it only detect updates that will run on G3?That entirely depends on which version of OS X is installed and if it's a fresh install.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
That entirely depends on which version of OS X is installed and if it's a fresh install.

Gotcha -- thanks for your help.

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
Gotcha -- thanks for your help.Not a problem.

mBurns
Sep 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
Here's a stupid question if you don't mind. When I get the computer, if I run a Software Update, will it only detect updates that will run on G3?

I have an iBook G3 clamshell. With regards to software updates, like Eidorian said, it will only detect updates that are applicable to the version of OS X you are running. If you're running the newest version of OS X (tiger; 10.4), software update will detect updates that are applicable to 10.4 and for the PPC chip only.

As I was saying above, I have an iBook G3 clamshell running at 466 Mhz. I run the older version of Office (2003) and photoshop with ease. I could run the newest version if I wanted too but I haven't felt a need to update. Granted, I have 576 Mb of ram. Using 128 Mb of ram in OS X is going to make the machine crawl. I'd suggest, even before buying an airport card, to upgrade the ram with at least a 512 Mb ram chip. Good luck!

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 10:47 PM
I have an iBook G3 clamshell. With regards to software updates, like Eidorian said, it will only detect updates that are applicable to the version of OS X you are running. If you're running the newest version of OS X (tiger; 10.4), software update will detect updates that are applicable to 10.4 and for the PPC chip only.

As I was saying above, I have an iBook G3 clamshell running at 466 Mhz. I run the older version of Office (2003) and photoshop with ease. I could run the newest version if I wanted too but I haven't felt a need to update. Granted, I have 576 Mb of ram. Using 128 Mb of ram in OS X is going to make the machine crawl. I'd suggest, even before buying an airport card, to upgrade the ram with at least a 512 Mb ram chip. Good luck!I'll agree to that.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll agree to that.

Thanks folks. Since I bought it for $125, I guess I can stand putting more RAM in it, buying a wireless card, and still being under $300 for a laptop I can live with for a year while I get this business started.
thanks

mBurns
Sep 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks folks. Since I bought it for $125, I guess I can stand putting more RAM in it, buying a wireless card, and still being under $300 for a laptop I can live with for a year while I get this business started.
thanks

Mikerol, just understand that the iBook is going to be no speed giant. It's going to be useable, but it's not going to be nowhere near as fast as one of the new intel 'books. Also, when you're starting to hit the $300 range, you may be better to look around awhile longer and search for an iBook G4.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
Mikerol, just understand that the iBook is going to be no speed giant. It's going to be useable, but it's not going to be nowhere near as fast as one of the new intel 'books. Also, when you're starting to hit the $300 range, you may be better to look around awhile longer and search for an iBook G4.

Yeah, I did and they're going around $600-700. In a year, once I have this business cranking, I'll buy myself a nice laptop. Just bought a new iMac 24 for the heavy lifting. Laptop is just something to throw in my bag on the road, check email, etc.
thanks

Eidorian
Sep 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I did and they're going around $600-700. In a year, once I have this business cranking, I'll buy myself a nice laptop. Just bought a new iMac 24 for the heavy lifting. Laptop is just something to throw in my bag on the road, check email, etc.
thanksA loaded iBook G3 600 MHz for $300 isn't that bad for easy mobility.

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
A loaded iBook G3 600 MHz for $300 isn't that bad for easy mobility.

Thanks to you folks for your help and advice -- have a good Labor Day weekend.

mBurns
Sep 2, 2007, 11:10 PM
thanks

Alright, I just didn't want you to have a misimpression of the power of the PPC G3. Although... it's no slouch either! I love the 24" iMac, it's a beautiful machine. Enjoy!

mikerol
Sep 2, 2007, 11:12 PM
Alright, I just didn't want you to have a misimpression of the power of the PPC G3. Although... it's no slouch either! I love the 24" iMac, it's a beautiful machine. Enjoy!

Yeah, I love my new iMac. Opens 100mb image files in Photoshop CS3 in a second or less. And looks incredible. Have a good weekend.

mBurns
Sep 2, 2007, 11:18 PM
Nice. Do you have the aluminum or white 24" iMac?

mikerol
Sep 3, 2007, 09:00 AM
Nice. Do you have the aluminum or white 24" iMac?

the new aluminum