PDA

View Full Version : Band advertisement - Crit please

Shaduu
Sep 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
First off, I don't class myself as a graphic designer: I'm a photographer who messes around with design in Photoshop. Anyhoo, my friend asked me to produce an ad for his band's upcoming gig, why he asked me I have no idea.

Although I know I'm no designer, I'd still like to make the most pro-looking ad I can manage, hence, I'm asking for crit on this first draft. Any suggestions will be taken on board. :)

CanadaRAM
Sep 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
From a content point of view.

The ad as presently worded, assumes that the audience knows who Limelight is, where the Red Room is, what the opening time is, and where to get tickets.

This is fine if both the band and the venue are local legends. But it won't draw in any new clientele. Part of the job of advertising is to tell the reader what they need to know. So, if Limelight is known for "Low down funky Klezmer dance music" then the ad should say so in a way that attracts the potential gig goer. Similarly the address of the club would help people get there if they've never been.

I get the lime theme, and its good as far as it goes. I am concerned about the triple hit to readability though, of a compressed oblique font, reversed type, and low contrast between the type and the background. Each of those alone reduces legibility, three together are risky.

The "Free" stands out -- partly because the colour is jarring against the green. You may be able to do more than the conventional medallion shape though. Do you have a photo of a lime? How about Photoshopping some words onto a lime instead?

Shaduu
Sep 3, 2007, 01:48 PM
From a content point of view.

The ad as presently worded, assumes that the audience knows who Limelight is, where the Red Room is, what the opening time is, and where to get tickets.

This is fine if both the band and the venue are local legends. But it won't draw in any new clientele. Part of the job of advertising is to tell the reader what they need to know. So, if Limelight is known for "Low down funky Klezmer dance music" then the ad should say so in a way that attracts the potential gig goer. Similarly the address of the club would help people get there if they've never been.

I get the lime theme, and its good as far as it goes. I am concerned about the triple hit to readability though, of a compressed oblique font, reversed type, and low contrast between the type and the background. Each of those alone reduces legibility, three together are risky.

The "Free" stands out -- partly because the colour is jarring against the green. You may be able to do more than the conventional medallion shape though. Do you have a photo of a lime? How about Photoshopping some words onto a lime instead?

Thanks a lot, I'll be trying to implement these into the next draft. I'm especially liking the lime idea, heh.

CanadaRAM
Sep 3, 2007, 02:59 PM
Here's a hack at it -- <disclaimer> IANAGD

Couple of things -- Limelight! suggests a hard shadow, like theatrical spotlights, which is reinforced by the 'ray' effect you have going. Try working with that.

Didn't have an exact match for the font, so re-do to suit. I am going more for content than layout, here.

(note - painting out a background where there is a gradient, angled lines, and a cross angle grid, is #^#@$ finicky. On your next draft, could you provide layered PNG or PSD files?)

AlexisV
Sep 4, 2007, 04:06 AM
I think it needs some human interest on there. It's a nice simple design, but doesn't say what kind of night it is.

What exactly is it?