Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
A couple of months back Microsoft got called out by using a Ti PowerBook on their main page to talk about how great wireless networking is with their Windows technology...but it's hard to tell with that picture, it could also be a Gateway...at certain angles at a distance, the new Gateway laptops can look like PowerBooks until you look closer and see the cheap plastic. My roommate had one, it even had a metal painted look to it with blackish keys.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
that is not a widescreen display and besides it looks too thin to be the pb
I think it's a 12 inch because there isn't much room between the keyboard and the sides of the laptop, but what do it know. And it looks to me like a perfectly normal thin-ness to be a AlBook.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hhmmm... it is hard to tell. i think it's the perspective messing with it. and the fact that the photo is a bit over-exposed.

if anyone thinks this could be a PC laptop, could you post some links? i never knew there were PC laptops like this out there! :eek:

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
If you look at the top level of keys you can see that it is much thinner than the rest of the keys. Definitely not the Gateway in the picture that was posted. I think its a TiBook.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you look closely at the image, you'll see the intake ports on the side and the security port. The machine doesn't look right, because of the angle and the lighting.

Aso you can obviously see the inverted T arrow keys o the powerbood.

TEG

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I don't know, it's hard for me to really see the detail because the picture is so overly exposed. Perhaps Microsoft has finished reverse engineering the TiBook and now trying to put it to use by being their new sexy model for photo shoots...

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
It doesn't look like a 15 to me, its too narrow.

If it was a 12 incher the keyboard would be silver.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by Mike Teezie
It doesn't look like a 15 to me, its too narrow.

If it was a 12 incher the keyboard would be silver.

yeah, i was just thinking it wasn't 'deep' enough to be a 15". Maybe they've deliberately altered the photo to the way it is so no one wouldn've know?

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
It's also possible that this is simply a prop -- not a computer at all, but a plastic mock-up of a laptop. Lots of stuff that photographers use in stock shots aren't the real thing, but they look real enough to survive the limited scrutiny of the ad.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
there's a company that clones apple laptops to x86 machines - their 15"er is pretty sweet looking. can't remember who/where though - a friend of mine has one - i'll ask him when he comes online.

jadariv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2002
After a real close look at it in photoshop, i would have to say it is a powerbook. The image has been rotated and stretched a little and has, of course, been cut out, because we don't see what the laptop is sitting on.

Jesus on OSX

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Let me be the first one to say that it _is_ most probably a powerbook.

BUT, Microsoft does not produce stock photos for their websites. They hire 3rd party companies who have mountains to stock imagery from Corel, Comstock, Photodisc/Corbis, etc.

These companies are heavy mac users, and you're likely to search for "laptop" and get an overwhelming number of powerbooks and ibooks in results.

None of the pictures you see on MS site are their own. Those are all photo models.

There was a huge debacle a year ago when Microsoft tried to mimick the "Switch" campaign on their site (unrelated), and after slashdot readers took the whole thing apart, it turned out that the person in the switch pages was actually a stock model that never probably even knew what her likeness was being used for. The page was pulled, but the public has learned that none of them are actually affiliated with Microsoft.

Here's the story

So in conclusion, that guy in a photo doesn't even work for Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.