Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
A very very interesting article for geeks, and non geeks alike.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

I hope IBM can make a move on this tech, if not first, so that eventually we're not left out in the dark.

Of course, It'll probably be a good 20+ years before this even has an effect on us Mac users, but the sooner we start, the better.

As for the non-computer side of this article... Imagine having just a brick of diamond... That would be crazy...

Or even better!

The new, Diamond PowerBook G10! The hardest laptop in the world! (and probably the heaviest...)

Of course, an aluminum, or titanium, diamond plated PowerBook might not be too far off in the future...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Um...

Cost = Insane...

Yellow diamonds of this color are very hard to find. It is probably worth 10, maybe 15 thousand dollars."
Suer now the cost is down to 400, but still a higher price then needed.

Look, the next revolution is Quantam Computers, plain and simple, take your diamonds and were it someplace I can't see.

Is it possible, ssuurre it is, but i think this is even further off.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
If you read through the entire article, the price per carat has gone down to $5, with the CVD process...

Although this may be more expensive than alternatives such as silicon, further development of the technology, and the leap in computing it can provide, could make this a feasible technology.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I doubt we'll see this in any kind of practicle application for years to come, but an interesting read anyway - thanks.

FYI - in terms of lack of flaws and perfection of stones, Cubic Zirconium is actually a better stone than a diamond, but since it is so readily available, it does not have the intrinsic value that a diamond holds. And good luck trying to pass one off as a diamond to your wife.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Mudbug
I doubt we'll see this in any kind of practicle application for years to come, but an interesting read anyway - thanks.

FYI - in terms of lack of flaws and perfection of stones, Cubic Zirconium is actually a better stone than a diamond, but since it is so readily available, it does not have the intrinsic value that a diamond holds. And good luck trying to pass one off as a diamond to your wife.

The CZ probably doesn't have the conductivity capabilities that the diamond does. As industrial grade diamonds drop in price more companies will make use of this. I think processing companies will focus on how to use the diamonds in the deepest core of the processor where it is the most hot but use strained silicon on the outer parts where the heat capacity is not needed. Eventually they will be all diamond, but that won't be a while.

Diamonds are set to become the next Salt or Aluminum. Those products were once worth their weight in gold and now are cheaper than ever.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I just read the article in my Wired magazine, and I think its great for the semiconductor business, but terrible for jewelry. Imagine if someone could make gold that easy, its price would fall to nothing.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well, if diamonds drop in price do to more readily available materials, then great, I can get my girlfriend the ring she wants without paying $2000 for it...

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Well, if diamonds drop in price do to more readily available materials, then great, I can get my girlfriend the ring she wants without paying $2000 for it...

But the thing is that half of the women won't want a diamond ring if it costs 50 dollars. The whole point of diamonds is that they are RARE and beautiful, but if they were common and beautiful they would be worth nothing, just like cubic zirconium.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by Vlade
But the thing is that half of the women won't want a diamond ring if it costs 50 dollars. The whole point of diamonds is that they are RARE and beautiful, but if they were common and beautiful they would be worth nothing, just like cubic zirconium.

If DeBeers was to release all of the diamonds that they have stored away, the price of diamonds would plummet. They are the ones who keep the price so high, by keeping out competition, and limiting supply.

Diamonds manufactured by these process, though, may be labeled as 'cultured' or 'synthetic', so natural diamonds may still keep some of their value. Although I do know of some women who would want a nice, 3 carat, yellow diamond, just to show off...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by G4scott
If DeBeers was to release all of the diamonds that they have stored away, the price of diamonds would plummet. They are the ones who keep the price so high, by keeping out competition, and limiting supply.

Thank you G4Scott - that's exactly the point. The price of diamonds is set by DeBeers. In reality, diamonds aren't that rare.

A diamond is forever - DeBeer's marketing slogan to prevent people from selling their old diamonds, further keeping the old stones out of the market.

They have a monopoly on the business and have used Macheavalian tactics to keep them rare and DeBeers in control.

The whole point of the manufactured diamond is that it can be used for other than jewelry and saw blades.

But it was interesting to read that the diamond disappates heat much better than silicon. That a diamond CPU could handle heat that would liquify a silicon chip.

Now, I'd not really want that in my laptop! :D

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
But it was interesting to read that the diamond disappates heat much better than silicon. That a diamond CPU could handle heat that would liquify a silicon chip.

Now, I'd not really want that in my laptop! :D

D

"Hey is that that new diamond chip?

Yeah, it gets Burning hot and red when its on!

Really?

Yeah watch

:puts pencil point close to the chip:

*watches as pencil suddenly combusts because of heat*

WOW!!"

:eek:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
In a press release today, Apple Computer and George Foreman announced that they would be working together to develop a combination G10 Diamond CPU PowerBook/Low Fat Grill.

The grill would keep it's good looks with key Apple designer Jonathan Ives in charge of the design of the new product. George Foreman is said to be using his patented technology to allow PowerBook users to use the heat provided by the new diamond CPU to grill their burgers to low fat perfection.

An ad-campaign for the new product would stress it's use to grill vegetarian hamburgers using the heat from the processor, so that no energy is wasted.

Neither company was available for comment.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Manufactured diamonds may be cheap, but they're still beautiful. I'd rather have a flawless diamond that was made in a lab than a real diamond that cost my boyfriend 3 months salary, or whatever astronomical figure they are recommending you spend nowadays... besides, with the savings, he could get me a Powerbook as my REAL present. ;)

Alia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.